My last 3 knife purchases.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

My last 3 knife purchases.

Post by benben »

I actually had a list, a physical list with the models written down at work and the order in which I was going to buy them. I’m up to 25 Spydies, the last four here were the last four on my list.

Para 3 Cru-wear (haven’t carried it in months).
Yojimbo 2.
Lil’ Native Comp lock.
And lastly, a serrated Pacific Salt.

I’m in Myrtle Beach right now with a 5 day Fastpitch tournament, I packed 3 knives, the Yojimbo, the LN, and the Pacific Salt. I swear, I think I could make due with just these 3 knives from now on, they cover the entire spectrum for everything I need a knife for! They just work!
Holland

Re: My last 3 knife purchases.

Post by Holland »

Nice knives!

Ever get impulses to be a minimalist and sell all your knives except the few you carry most often?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Glad you finished your list!

I probably could have stopped after my first 2 Spydies and been happy. S110V Para2 and a ZDP-189 Dfly. But... I would have missed out on the Yo2, P'kal, Para3, Delica, Wharndelica, hawkbill Dfly, Native, Shaman, Chief, Police4..... there's always something new to try. And you may find as I have, that you like some of the new things you try even more than the ones that came before them, or the 25 that came before them :D for me it's a journey not a destination.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Spydies are so good you'll start eyeballing your knives from other companies thinking "I could sell you and pick up some more Spyderco models"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:48 pm
Spydies are so good you'll start eyeballing your knives from other companies thinking "I could sell you and pick up some more Spyderco models"

I almost couldn't.... cause I literally have only one single (quality) folder left any more that's NOT a Spyderco... :o

I am convinced and know other brands make really good stuff too, but somehow I came to only be interested in Spydercos any more... (not a bad thing, makes life easier... :D )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:24 pm
Genotoxic wrote:

I almost couldn't.... cause I literally have only one single (quality) folder left any more that's NOT a Spyderco... :o

I am convinced and know other brands make really good stuff too, but somehow I came to only be interested in Spydercos any more... (not a bad thing, makes life easier... :D )
Honestly though once you use a Spyderco to cut with you'll have a hard time finding comparable cutting performance in other brands.

My knives from other companies look great and that's why they're still around but aside from maybe my BM Bugout nothing gives me satisfaction in use like a classic Spydie.
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:

Honestly though once you use a Spyderco to cut with you'll have a hard time finding comparable cutting performance in other brands.

My knives from other companies look great and that's why they're still around but aside from maybe my BM Bugout nothing gives me satisfaction in use like a classic Spydie.
I couldn't have said it better. I have basically parted ways with BM completely (mainly because of their political views). I still have a Grip, but other then a few Tops, Cudeman, and Utica fixed blades... all my knives are Spydies... all 50-60 of them lol.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
benben

Post by benben »

Holland wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 am
Nice knives!

Ever get impulses to be a minimalist and sell all your knives except the few you carry most often?
Yes, I do. I could easily sell 15 of my Spydies, and the majority of them are discontinued.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wartstein wrote:
I'm interested in some other brands. The problem is the 'other' brands I'm interested in are so far out of my price range it's ridiculous. In the under $300 range Spyderco is it for me. I'd probably spend $800 on one of those other knives only to realize I liked my spydies better anyways :D Some real good lookin knives in the $500-$1,200 range though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal