Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by Mushroom »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:08 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:45 pm
vandelay wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:07 pm
Looking at the compression lock, I feel like it would be possible to just move the lock bar to the front side of the knife so that it would basically just be a stronger liner lock. If that change was made, the compression lock would probably just be a better liner lock. I doubt it would ever happen, but it would be interesting to see a military 1.5 with a front comp lock.

It would be nice to see more development of alternatives to the comp lock cutout, like on the smock. The lock cutout seems like the biggest weakness of the design.
I’m having a difficult time imagining the “front compression lock” you’re describing but the liner lock and compression lock function entirely different from each other.

The compression lock is a lot more than just a liner lock on the top of the knife. Rather than expand on it again myself though, I will direct you to this months Spyderbyte newsletter.

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 963d2ec1ef

The whole newsletter is very informative but it specifically does a good job detailing everything about the compression lock for those who are still learning. I would highly recommend that everyone read it though, it provides a lot of information that even some Spyderco enthusiasts might not know.
If you just extended the lock bar where I've colored it red, you could disengage it from the front. For something more practical, you'd probably want to change where the lock bar attached to the handle and move the lock bar cutout forward if possible, but I don't see why this wouldn't work.
e.png
Ok that makes more sense now. I guess I was a little confused by what you meant by “front.” I would consider the blade as the front of the knife but I digress.

Based on your drawing, I also believe adding that bit of metal to the bottom of the compression lock tab would technically function. I’ve actually mentioned the same thing in past conversations on here as well.

It would effectively make it a liner lock/compression lock hybrid. The traditional compression lock tab could be replaced by a traditional liner lock tab and it would serve as a “compression lock operated as a liner lock.” Compression lock strength with liner lock operation. Both tabs could even remain in place to use but one method would have to be left handed. (Lefty liner lock and righty compression lock or vise versa)

The elephant in the room is the fact that doing this would reintroduce the safety hazard that the compression lock removes - fingers in the blade path. Removing that potential risk is an aspect of safety that the compression lock improves upon over liner locks, so it seems counterintuitive to reintroduce that risk in the first place.

I’d imagine that was something tested during the development of the compression lock. The benefit of being able to remove fingers from the blade path was probably a large consideration for creating it with access to the lock on the top of the handle.

Obviously liner locks can be operated safely even with the risk of fingers in the blade path being present. Creating this hybrid style of compression lock could potentially be a way of satisfying the devoted liner lock Military Model fans that are disappointed to see the Military 2 switch to a compression lock. It would give the Military 2 the improved lock strength of a compression lock but also maintain the muscle memory of the liner lock.

Maybe after their expansion is Golden is completed, a Hybrid Lock Military 2 could be something they consider experimenting with.
-Nick :bug-red
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A version of the Smock button compression lock with a depression around the button and a matching depression on the opposite scale would be great. The pair of depressions would ensure a positive hold on the knife while working the lock, much more secure than one’s grasp of the PM2 lock.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:40 pm
It would effectively make it a liner lock/compression lock hybrid. The traditional compression lock tab could be replaced by a traditional liner lock tab and it would serve as a “compression lock operated as a liner lock.” Compression lock strength with liner lock operation. Both tabs could even remain in place to use but one method would have to be left handed. (Lefty liner lock and righty compression lock or vise versa)
That's a pretty clever solution to the ambidexterity issue with the comp lock. The liner vs comp lock debate would just be down to complaints about extra cutouts.
Mushroom wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact that doing this would reintroduce the safety hazard that the compression lock removes - fingers in the blade path. Removing that potential risk is an aspect of safety that the compression lock improves upon over liner locks, so it seems counterintuitive to reintroduce that risk in the first place.
On knives with choils, fingers in the blade path isn't much of a risk since the choil will hit your fingers instead of the blade. On something like the Caribbean, it would be a bit more of a hazard.

Fingers in the blade path is still a bit of an issue with the back cutout. If I'm using my left hand or wearing gloves, I need to close the knife like a back lock. IMO, this requires more care than with a liner lock. I cut my middle finger once closing a dragonfly when I wasn't paying attention.
Mushroom wrote:
Creating this hybrid style of compression lock could potentially be a way of satisfying the devoted liner lock Military Model fans that are disappointed to see the Military 2 switch to a compression lock. It would give the Military 2 the improved lock strength of a compression lock but also maintain the muscle memory of the liner lock.

Maybe after their expansion is Golden is completed, a Hybrid Lock Military 2 could be something they consider experimenting with.
I hope they'll keep the liner-lock style military around in one form or another, even if it's moved to the hybrid style. It's been one of those knives that I want eventually but I don't think I can justify the cost unless it's a cool sprint.