Taichung Mid Backlocks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in more Taichung-made mid backlock spydies?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 45

Wartstein

Re: Taichung Mid Backlocks

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21 am
The backlocks from Taichung use an internal stop pin and in a way they behave the same as a triad lock. One has an internal stop pin and one is external. That makes them very strong with minimal blade play.

Spyderco’s internal pin isn’t the magnet for pocket lint and other crud that the triad lock is and it looks cleaner too.
Any reason why Golden and/or Seki can't adopt this design (probably more production costs..)?

I am more than fine with the Endura family lock, but the Chap's lock is clearly even better and I'd like to experience how it would feel in a large knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 am
Pancake wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:16 pm
We need this thing.

Caribbean mid-backlock. Like the only thing keeping me away from buying it are reports of kinda weak detent. With backlock, no detent to worry about.

Yes I would like to see more Taichung backlock.....but not the funny puny knives like Sage. Give me someting with 3,5 - 4 inch blade and then we are talking.
Sign me up!
I would buy that right now.
Obviously, it would void the warranty, but, how difficult would it be for a person with machinist skill and equipment to take the current-model Caribbean and actually take it apart, and convert the Compression Lock system to a Mid Back Lock system like that? Would the cost be greater than the original cost of the knife?
I think that the knife designs are different and This would require significant stock removal as the knives lock up differently and the tangs are different. I think it might make them Unsafe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Backlock on a subvert.. I'd take one.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21 am
In my opinion Spyderco’s backlocks with internal stop pins are superior in every way over the triad lock. Maybe it needs a cool name and some hype?
Can’t wait for the Spyder Spine with Chung Pin technology (tm).
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Hype is something I never consider. I only frequent this forum, so I'm not really exposed to any Tri-ad lock hype anyway. I'm no cold steel fan boy either. I just like the lock in use. Never had an ounce of blade play from one, and it locks up deeper as the lockbar/stop pin wear. It's just an excellent backlock. I call it like it is. Spyderco is a much better knife company. But I don't give them any bonus points just because they're my favorite, nor do I downplay good things other companies do. Spyderco has EARNED every ounce of praise I give them. I try to be as objective as possible when observing and talking about the attributes and value of knives. But in the end, it's just an opinion.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?