Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Has there ever been a particular Spyderco knife model you saw and considered and then declined to purchase it, or, you went ahead and purchased it, and then after receiving it, it did not seem as good as it originally looked, or were you satisfied with all purchases?

I ask because at times I notice a particular knife may look different when viewed from certain angles than when you have it in hand.
Last edited by SpyderEdgeForever on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knivesandbooks

Re: Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Postby knivesandbooks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm

The advocate didn't have lasting power for me. It just didn't feel as solid as I was expecting. I regretted the Myrtle for sure. I also still have the Myrtle because I can't sell it. I also regretted my SS Delica after a few days. Great initial impressions, but eh.
I own an assisted knife and am embarrassed to admit I enjoy it.

SpyderEdgeForever

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:15 pm

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm
The advocate didn't have lasting power for me. It just didn't feel as solid as I was expecting. I regretted the Myrtle for sure. I also still have the Myrtle because I can't sell it. I also regretted my SS Delica after a few days. Great initial impressions, but eh.
I've wondered about the Advocate, too, in that context. Some don't like the flipper mechanism, they seem to think it doesn't feel right or at least the same as other folders in the Spyderco family of knives.

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm probably going to get lynched for this, but...the Military. Was just too much handle for me and overall a bit too much knife. I could use it while camping, but usually go with my Manix LW and my machete. Would be good for yardwork, but I use my SE Endura I got for an absolute steal so I don't feel bad about using it hard. I just really didn't have a place for it. I wanted to love it, it just didn't happen.

But, I won't say that I necessarily regret buying it. It's an icon and I've been interested in it for a couple years now. Finding the S110V model for $145 was a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I gave it a try for a couple weeks and realizing it wasn't for me, instead of always wondering.
Currently have 17 :spyder: 's in 13 different steels.

-Rick

Larry_Mott

Postby Larry_Mott » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm

The LW Chaparral.
Bought it for the purpose of putting some wood scales on it nd didn't realize until too late the liners are nested, making it an excersise in futility to make wooden scales for it, and i am not particularily fond of LW iterations of most Spydies.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Vivi

Postby Vivi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Yep.

Everyone suggested I buy a Delica for my first Spyderco.

So I did.

Way too small. No where comfortable to put my thumb.

Couple of tries later I got a Millie and finally understood the hype for Spyderco.

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:06 pm

I have been disappointed with fit and finish but never regretted the whole purchase. I've been pretty lucky and also have made pretty well calculated purchases so I guess I don't take many risks. It's really the opposite for me, the few risks I've taken have paid off and became knives I really like. I don't think this is the same as buying and finding out that a model just isn't for me, which has happened a few times. In those cases I wasn't sold in the beginning so there wasn't any buyers remorse involved.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

ZrowsN1s

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm

No regrets. I've had one or two that I sold, but I never regret trying new things. That's how you learn :D
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

zippifish

Postby zippifish » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Not yet but I only have 2, have 4 more planned to get in the near future so I'll have to get back to you. :)

justjohn

Postby justjohn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:14 pm

The ONLY regret I ever had was not buying duplicates when I had the chance. Two in particular are the Burch Chubby, and the Massad Ayoob. :D
- John

:spyder: "Spyderco"....nuff said! :spyder:

jdw

Postby jdw » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I have regretted the ones that I haven't purchased far more than the ones that I have.
“All you can write is what you see."
-- Woody Guthrie

BobABQ

Postby BobABQ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Yeah, I can say that there have been 2 Spyderco knives that left me a little disappointed. A Dragonfly and a Lil’ Native both left me a little disappointed. The handle on the Dragonfly doesn’t fall my hand as I would like and the Lil’ Native it is the compression lock. I should have waited and bought a Lockbacks version.

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm

I regret not buying the Knifeworks cf M4 pm2. Got the cf 52100 first, and of course paid full price. Should have done it the other way around, the 52100 is still in stock at discounted pricing.
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

cycleguy

Postby cycleguy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 pm

No! NO NO NO NO NO ....... but there are some I like better than others and some I'm not interested in, but have never regretted a Spyderco. They are the best thing pocket knives have going for them ... and they are really exceptionally good at fixed blades too.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!

Naperville

Postby Naperville » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 pm

NO. Every Spyderco that I've ever purchased I cherish. I wish that I owned approx 10 more Spyderco knives.

I have a large collection, 85 knives, and every knife I've ever purchased I've kept. Never sold one. Never bought one from anyone other than a retailer. I do a lot of thinking about what I want and have a list with about 200 more knives on it, probably 50 that I would buy immediately.
Spyderco Collection: Military S110V, Bob Lum Darn Dao, Yojimbo 2 (ONE) S30V & (TWO) CF 20CV, Sustain, Native 5 Maxamet, Jumpmaster 2. SHORT LIST: CF Shaman in S90V; Manix 2 Maxamet; Native 5 Fluted CF in S90V; Nirvana in S90V; Proficient S90V; Para 3 in M390; Street Beat in VG-10.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm
The LW Chaparral.
Bought it for the purpose of putting some wood scales on it nd didn't realize until too late the liners are nested, making it an excersise in futility to make wooden scales for it, and i am not particularily fond of LW iterations of most Spydies.
Just out of interest: Are there other lw iterations of Spydies that are done like the Chap LW?

I mean by that: The Chap LW has liners just like the CF and raffir noble version, but FRN handle scales. It's even not THAT much lighter (ok, by about or more than 10%).

Other LW versions I'm aware of (Native, Manix, Para 3) have FRN / FRCP handles but NO (or minimal) liners

The Sage 5 lw will have some kind of liners though Eric said in an interview...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:55 am

Viele. I loved the looks, but it was too slick in the hand for safety.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Spydergirl88

Postby Spydergirl88 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 am

Lots and lots. Doesn't seem to deter me from buying more
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

ferider

Postby ferider » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 am

Only one: the ATR2. Look's real good on paper, but feels cheap.

allhatnocattle

Postby allhatnocattle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:29 am

Sacrilege, but the endura has never fit me right.

And i seem to buy pm2’s keep them for a few months and then “meh” on to something else newer and shinier.

The Shaman and Para 3 LW seem to be the longest lasting in my collection so far...

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”