Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by Tims »

bgcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 pm
I recently had mine somehow open part way in my jean pocket. When I reached down to grab the knife I ended up with a nasty slice in my thumb. I don't know how it happened but I will be extra careful going forward.
Bugger. Do you remember how the knife was orientated in your pocket? Blade facing down etc
Clipped in my right pocket, in standard RH tip-up carry form
True. That’s a weird one then.
Like Doc says, any folder is a potential biter under the right comditions.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 pm
We all must keep in mind that any folding knife can come open given the right conditions...even back locks. However, backlocks and cbbl are far less likely to open when unwanted than other locks because there is no detent and there is a strong bias towards close with Spyderco locks of this ilk.
+1
(Ot: Doc, are you getting better concerning your injuries?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 pm
I recently had mine somehow open part way in my jean pocket. When I reached down to grab the knife I ended up with a nasty slice in my thumb. I don't know how it happened but I will be extra careful going forward.
Bugger. Do you remember how the knife was orientated in your pocket? Blade facing down etc
Clipped in my right pocket, in standard RH tip-up carry form
True. That’s a weird one then.
Like Doc says, any folder is a potential biter under the right comditions.
Yup, and I am sure it was my fault some how, lol.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am
I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. I don’t like to have to sell the ergo’s every time to them.
I like to be discrete and avoid flashing my knives in public. It makes some people uneasy, and waving around a blade makes you look like a weirdo. I think the Manix 2 is a good looking knife. And if my friends think it's ugly, that's ok.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea, I don't understand so many people thinking it's ugly and just a worker. I find it tough looking, but also a nice looking model. I enjoy the lack of the huge thumb ramp.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Well, I think I’m going to pick up a regular g10 model, unless I can find an S90V. For $90 bucks it’s worth a shot. Would love to see a sprint in the XL though.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 am
....Would love to see a sprint in the XL though.
And make this a lightweight please...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 am
Dazen wrote:
Has there ever been a lightweight XL?

That sounds like a substantial investment in molds that might not be financially viable for Spyderco.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 am
Dazen wrote:
Has there ever been a lightweight XL?

That sounds like a substantial investment in molds that might not be financially viable for Spyderco.
No, there rhas never been a lw Manix XL.

I have to admit: I never even had the G10 Manix XL, overlooked it for the longest time.
But just going by it's specs and dimensions, I know for me personally it is the "better Manix" and would be even more so in a lw version (just like the lw version of the regular Manix 2)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco has made some ugly knives, in my opinion the Manix is not one of them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but at least the Manix isn’t the Dodo, Poliwog, Gunting or Jot Sing Khalsa. Those knives have faces that only a mother could love. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

lw xl would be amazing.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I personally love the looks of it. It is a very handsome knife as far as I’m concerned. It is also a very useful design. I love the fact that the blade might be broad but it is also fairly slim. It is a good slicer beyond any doubt. If anyone has seen any
of the videos Then you know there can be no doubt that it’s pretty rugged.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
We all must keep in mind that any folding knife can come open given the right conditions...even back locks. However, backlocks and cbbl are far less likely to open when unwanted than other locks because there is no detent and there is a strong bias towards close with Spyderco locks of this ilk.
+1
Ha ha ha I was I’m doing better until I went to go see the doctor. He decided to manipulate my shoulder to see how I was progressing and you guessed it, a lot more pain. Thanks for asking. That’s why am up at 3 o’clock in the morning on the forum.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Siggyboy

Post by Siggyboy »

My favorites are sprints or exclusives because only those are in G10 with skeletonized liners, keeping the weight between a regular version and a lightweight version.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am definitely a Manix fan. I just might have more Manixes (Manii ?) than any other model -- not from any intent to accumulate them, but one interesting model after another just keeps coming along. The recent Cruwear with smooth G10 just joined the crew.

Worrying about how it looks and in particular what other people think about how it looks, just doesn't fit between my two ears.

But it does look a little odd I suppose, all closed up. Open it and get it in your hand though and then you understand what it is all about. I am not sure there is any other knife that just seems made to fit into my hand (perhaps not your hand, but I'll bet it fits a lot of hands nicely). In some way this is what Spyderco is all about -- function before looks every time, and I like that a lot. Once you fall in love with how it feels in hand, you realize that it is a very clever design the way it folds up.

The backlock Manix was a thing of wonder and beauty -- but the Shaman makes a superb stand-in for it. And I have a backlock Manix and it is likely to last me several lifetimes. But enough about the backlock -- I was carrying my red G10 with 20CV steel until today when the Cruwear black showed up. I go back and forth about the CBBL lock, but I don't have any crying need to close it one handed -- If I did and couldn't make my peace with the Manix, I would find another knife. Probably something with a compression lock (like the Shaman). Yes, Vivi can do it with his thumb, but he is some kind of mutant.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I 100% agree with you Tom. Funny...I was carrying my DLT exclusive Manix today as well, and awaiting my Cruwear to arrive on Saturday. The pocket hog aspect bothers me a bit. Yes, it is large in the pocket...but if you rearrange or need to rearrange how you carry things, it's really not that bad. A knife well worth changing your habits. I can fit my phone, with an OtterBox and my Manix 2 in my RFP, though not ideal. But they fit together.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Isn't the plural Manii?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe Manices

Matrix plural is matrices.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 pm
Maybe Manices

Matrix plural is matrices.
Yes! This sounds right.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
+1
Ha ha ha I was I’m doing better until I went to go see the doctor. He decided to manipulate my shoulder to see how I was progressing and you guessed it, a lot more pain. Thanks for asking. That’s why am up at 3 o’clock in the morning on the forum.
I think it's quite amazing but also the best way to handle it how you're taking this with a big portion of humor!

At least as it is you can contribute more to the forum, which is a good thing... ;)

Hope you'll get well real soon!!!