Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by curlyhairedboy »

welp, I've got another Rex Chief in pocket.... time to really put it through its paces.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Glad these aren't flying off the shelves. I'd like to pick one up after I find myself another Military.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

What I did this a.m. after watching the Slysz Bowie episode! :D

Weird coincidence to see this posted.

Can't decide which I like better - the Chief or the Kapara or the Endura (new to folders this size).

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

delete dup post
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm
What I did this a.m. after watching the Slysz Bowie episode! :D

Weird coincidence to see this posted.

Can't decide which I like better - the Chief or the Kapara or the Endura (new to folders this size).

CG

I really like the Chief but what's great about the Kapara is that it has nearly the same cutting edge length as the Chief in a much smaller package.
So it goes.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Anybody mention the lock release placement yet? It sits a little higher on the Chief. I typically keep my index finger in the path of the ricasso and press the lock bar with my thumb. I feel like it's less of an awkward movement on the Chief compared to my larger Seki back locks. I guess the downside would be that if I hold the Chief "edge in" my middle finger can press on the bar. I can't completely disengage the lock but it does induce some blade play. It's a welcome trade off in my opinion.
Here's a scientific pic for reference comparing the Endura, Chief and g10 Police 4 lock bar placement. I was going to put the Endela in there but it's only a mm or two higher than the Endura.

•• Beau
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:43 am
Anybody mention the lock release placement yet? It sits a little higher on the Chief. I typically keep my index finger in the path of the ricasso and press the lock bar with my thumb. I feel like it's less of an awkward movement on the Chief compared to my larger Seki back locks. I guess the downside would be that if I hold the Chief "edge in" my middle finger can press on the bar. I can't completely disengage the lock but it does induce some blade play. It's a welcome trade off in my opinion.
Here's a scientific pic for reference comparing the Endura, Chief and g10 Police 4 lock bar placement. I was going to put the Endela in there but it's only a mm or two higher than the Endura.

I do like the higher lock placement, and think it eases operation.
EyeCentric

Post by EyeCentric »

Can anyone help my with my sprint run cf native chief? It's honestly the worst action of any knife in my collection and not centered. Should I just contact Spyderco because I've never been this disappointed in a knife in my life....
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear EyeCentric:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you feel there is an issue with your knife, the best course of action is always to send it in for warranty consideration.

Stay safe,

Mike
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks for updating this post , I have been looking at the Native Chief for a while . Information has been good food for thought . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Warning.....Warning.....Warning stay away from the Native Chief as they are quite addictive. I am a poster child as I have one in REX 45, M4, and XHP at this time and am drooling at the thought of the S90V model. Be warned it could happen to you. :zany
kobold

Post by kobold »

EyeCentric wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 pm
Can anyone help my with my sprint run cf native chief? It's honestly the worst action of any knife in my collection and not centered. Should I just contact Spyderco because I've never been this disappointed in a knife in my life....

I had somewhat similar situation, went to a brick and mortar shop, saw the centering is off so left without it. Although the action was fine. Then at home I started thinking that prolly only the pivot needs tightening. Went back, brought it home, tightened the pivot, the blade moved to the middle. It is pretty much perfect now.
As for the action, I suggest disassembly, cleaning, polishing of the PB washers and lubrication. Good luck!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

kobold wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 am
EyeCentric wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 pm

I had somewhat similar situation, went to a brick and mortar shop, saw the centering is off so left without it. Although the action was fine. Then at home I started thinking that prolly only the pivot needs tightening. Went back, brought it home, tightened the pivot, the blade moved to the middle. It is pretty much perfect now.
As for the action, I suggest disassembly, cleaning, polishing of the PB washers and lubrication. Good luck!
I second this. Disassemble it, check for any burrs or dust/dirt, clean, lube, reassemble. I know both my s30 and s90 chiefs came dry, and disassembling, cleaning, and lubing helped a lot. Aside from that, they did need a break in period to feel completely smooth and the spring had to wear in a bit (I guess) to allow easier manipulation of the lock. Or my thumb got stronger!

If it's off centered, pivot is loose, or you need to loosen all body screws and wedge the blade over gently, and retighten. Adjust pivot as necessary. Should take care of that.

If none of this works, send it in for work. The Chief is an amazing knife, very light while being big. I love the thing, especially the s90v version.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Well it got the best of me so now I have one on the way. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mrj.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Magnacut Chief, anyone?
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I'll never stop to praise Spyderco on this knife. What a marvel of design. It's too big for me to carry, but it's beautiful.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:39 am
Magnacut Chief, anyone?

This is what I’m waiting for.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:39 am
Magnacut Chief, anyone?
Me three.... ;)
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/