The Species ( or type) Of Spyder That Hooked You?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: The Species ( or type) Of Spyder That Hooked You?

Post by Woodpuppy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:48 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
Worker first, then Sharpmaker. Then all downhill from there!
Hey Woodpuppy? Was your first Sharpmaker an older 203 unit or did you start out with the newer 204? Because I've talked to a lot of guys in the past 2 years that tell me they still have their 203 Sharpmakers and kept them even when they stepped up and got the newer/better 204 Sharpmaker.

Also was your WORKER model one of the older GIN-1 models? or which blade steel did it have?
204 sharpmaker. As to the Worker blade steel, I want to say it was stamped G2, but I’m just not sure; it was late ‘93 or early ‘94 and it was the chamfered handle version, not the squared-off corner version.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

I had previously learned of the fabled Spyderco Endura on BB, but being in the UK, I was not hooked until the original G10 UKPK. I watched it being birthed on British Blades and bought one as soon as they came out (was it really that long ago?). It was the UKPK that really started my 'modern knife' collecting as a serious hobby. Before that it I'd only owned a few SAKs, old bootsale Sheffield sheath, or jack knives. My only modern folder for a time was (funnily enough) a cheap unbranded thing with plastic scales and a 'spyderhole', from a local gun shop (back in the days when gun shops were more common in the UK; and years before I'd ever heard of Spyderco).

Spyderco are now the most numerous single brand of knives in my collection.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Urbanmoose, are they difficult to find in the UK? I know the restrictions on locking blades and didn't know if that made finding them more of a challenge.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am
Urbanmoose, are they difficult to find in the UK? I know the restrictions on locking blades and didn't know if that made finding them more of a challenge.

Hi bearrowland. There are a few sites here that have a range in stock. They are definitely not commonly visible in bricks and mortar shops. But as you know, the restrictions in the UK are on where and when you can carry locking knives. You need a specific task or specific activity based reason to have a locking knife on you- you can't lawfully carry one just because it 'might be useful'. This makes a 'locker' a less versatile option then a sub 3 inch blade slip-joint (the awesome Urban or UKPK for instance) which you can legally edc most of the time without problem :D