Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Post by MichaelScott »

For me it is the “bang” part that is the problem. You spend $30 USD on a knife. What is the “bang” you get? You get an inexpensive knife you could conceivably carry around for twenty years and use to cut stuff. Some stuff. Is it finely made? Not so much. Does it hold an edge for an appreciable time? Depends on how much you use or abuse it, but likely not so much. Can it easily adapt to many different types of cutting needs — delicate slicing, hard cutting, puncture cuts? If you lost it would you really care, or just buy another?

The “bang” is wildly subjective. That’s why the responses to this question are so entertaining.

If I think back on which Spyderco I have enjoyed carrying, fooling with and using for a variety I’d tasks, I think of the Ikuchi.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

ferider wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:59 pm
You sure ?

These are lighter, slimmer and smoother than anyone acknowledges. I almost bought one last time I handled one despite not liking steel/AL/Ti scales on my knives, it's that nice for the $.
:unicorn
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

I have always referred to the Tenacious as the BEST sub-$50 EDC knife. It was my first Spyderco, and I own about 7-8 different versions. I used it to cut steak, puncture cans, cut drywall, and myriad of other uses. My ONLY complaint is the steel. I wish just once they would release a sprint Tenacious with a kick *** steel.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I think there are a few Spyderco knives that have great “bang for the buck”

My first Spyderco was a Pacific Salt PE satin finish. For me this represented great “bang for the buck” and was the main reason I picked it as my first Spyderco purchase. I mean it’s an almost 4 inch blade, impervious to rust, light and reliable how could you go wrong.

There are other Spyderco knives that I think represent great value. Some great examples are the Manix 2 lightweight, Polestar, Tenacious, Manix 2 G-10... but if I could only pick one it would be the Resilience. The Resilience is a large well made knife for a reasonable price.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”