Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Jazz »

Well, I like this knife enough that I just ordered a SE. Good grief!
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 am
Is the Endela the same, longer, or shorter, in closed length as a Manix 2 LW?

Exactly the same. The Manix back lock, anyway. I assume they’re the same. My lightweight’s in a box somewhere.
Thanks. After thinking on it I may put the Endela farther down on my list. I already love the M2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm
Jazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 am
Is the Endela the same, longer, or shorter, in closed length as a Manix 2 LW?

Exactly the same. The Manix back lock, anyway. I assume they’re the same. My lightweight’s in a box somewhere.
Thanks. After thinking on it I may put the Endela farther down on my list. I already love the M2.
Yep, they are virtually the same in closed length, though of course the Endela is a slimmer overall package in the pocket and has about 5 % more actual edge (both might not matter much for some, for me it does somewhat).

I hope one day you´ll try an Endela. I know, that the "points" between the EndURa finger grooves don´t fit your hand, so I´d be really courious if you´d like the "mellowed out" Endela handle (which is otherwise very similar to the Enduras) better... as already said, I can´t tell, cause I have no problem with the EndURa handle either, and both knives fit my hand great.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rak2

Re: Waiting for colors

Post by rak2 »

rak2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:46 pm
Alternating between Delica and Endura for EDC and very very eager to purchase an Endela but trying to wait for some other colors. Its wearing on me to pop into the forum 3 times a day looking for news.... .. . . Note that I have very bad luck with product purchases in that once I finally decide to make a purchase, the new item often becomes obsolete with the release of a newer/better product. So in this case maybe I should just go ahead and purchase a black FRN silver blade Endela so that all the colored models will be distributed right away - for the benefit of those of you who are also waiting for colors. ;-)
rak2
Ok, did my part to support the cause and ordered one of the initial issue black frn Endela's today. Am betting that new frn colors, multiple choices in steels, alternative scale materials, and free toasters will be announced very soon. ;)

rak2
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I just got my SE to go with my PE, so I believe a toaster is in order. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

rak2 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:41 pm
and free toasters
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rak2 wrote:
rak2 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:46 pm
Ok, did my part to support the cause and ordered one of the initial issue black frn Endela's today. Am betting that new frn colors, multiple choices in steels, alternative scale materials, and free toasters will be announced very soon. ;)
Hope you'll report back how you like it... soon on the Endela, later on the toasters... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rak2

Post by rak2 »

rak2 wrote:
rak2
Received the Endela black frn and am back with my subjective opinions.

1. The manufacturing/engineering fit and finish are outstanding. I want to say that it's movements are tight and smooth but those are the wrong words. Perhaps precise is a better word. Even the 'seki pop' is prominently crisp (louder than the Endura?)
2. The black frn is much better looking in person than in the sales photos. Does not look plasticiky. I don't feel so bad about the black color now...
3. For me, this seems to be a size and shape of the handle that is better. My hands might be on the small to medium size as I'm 5'7". It feels better in my hand than the PM2, Para3, Endura, and Delica.

Disclaimer: Not an expert. I own a PM2 and Para3 and they are relegated to back of the drawer storage as works of art that are to fine to be actually used. I have a couple of Delicas and think every home should have one. The Endura has been used for EDC and this Endela will be replacing that for daily carry in the office slacks - it's feeling lighter and just enough smaller to make a subjective difference (MXG clip).

Am still up for another one in different colors and curious to try one of the other steels.

rak2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rak2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm
rak2 wrote:
rak2
Received the Endela black frn and am back with my subjective opinions.

1. The manufacturing/engineering fit and finish are outstanding. I want to say that it's movements are tight and smooth but those are the wrong words. Perhaps precise is a better word. Even the 'seki pop' is prominently crisp (louder than the Endura?)
2. The black frn is much better looking in person than in the sales photos. Does not look plasticiky. I don't feel so bad about the black color now...
3. For me, this seems to be a size and shape of the handle that is better. My hands might be on the small to medium size as I'm 5'7". It feels better in my hand than the PM2, Para3, Endura, and Delica.

Disclaimer: Not an expert. I own a PM2 and Para3 and they are relegated to back of the drawer storage as works of art that are to fine to be actually used. I have a couple of Delicas and think every home should have one. The Endura has been used for EDC and this Endela will be replacing that for daily carry in the office slacks - it's feeling lighter and just enough smaller to make a subjective difference (MXG clip).

Am still up for another one in different colors and curious to try one of the other steels.

Thanks for reporting back! :)

You are right, mine (SE) also came perfect in fit and finish.

And yes, it´s a funny thing: When just quickly looking at a closed EndELa next to a closed EndURa there seems to be not much of a difference in size.
But deployed and in USE, the EndELa has something different, though I can´t really explain.. more compact, a bit more handfilling, perfectly proportioned, I don´t know.

Weird I´d say this, cause I love the EndURa, still think, its longer blade has only advantages and no real DISadvantages (other then maybe legal restriction in some places), and while the longer handle does not give me any benefit, it also does not bother me in any way.

Still... the overall style and feel and "spirit" of the EndELa makes me carry it MORE than the Endura, for no real practical reason (cause speaking strictly practically: I should always be carrying the longer bladed EndURa...)

/ One thing though I still don´t fully understand:

As an own, individual model the EndELa is great and as I´ve said already the "better PM2 sized knife" for me personally

But as a middle ground knife, right between the Endura and Delica, it is A LOT closer to an EndURA than to a Delica. I´d say 95% Endura, 5 % Delica.
If they´d shortened the handle just by 5 to 8 mm (which would be easily possible, cause the blade really does not fill the handle entirely), the knife would be much more distinguishable from the Endura, a lot smaller in pocket (and also a lot shorter than a PM2 when closed while having almost the exact same blade lenght), and the handle would still be large enough, and still roomier than for example the PM2s.

That being said: I don´t complain, I like it now how it is. Just saying that it could have been a bit more between Endura and Delica (and not almost entirely Endura) without any real detriments.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rak2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm
rak2 wrote:
... I own a PM2 and Para3 and they are relegated to back of the drawer storage as works of art that are to fine to be actually used. I have a couple of Delicas and think every home should have one. The Endura has been used for EDC and this Endela will be replacing that for daily carry in the office slacks - it's feeling lighter and just enough smaller to make a subjective difference (MXG clip).

Totally respect your approach, but just out of interest: You really NEVER used those knives? So you don´t know how they behave in use, how they slice and so on?

Again, in no way I want to disparage how you collect and value knives, each way of enjoying them is equally fine of course. I am just courious here.
rak2

Post by rak2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Totally respect your approach, but just out of interest: You really NEVER used those knives? So you don´t know how they behave in use, how they slice and so on?
Have never even cut a piece of paper with the PM2 or Para3.
It's crazy and I don't have a logical justification for how I fell into this small collection. Started out wanting something very capable and perhaps a little tactical and got the PM2 but then felt that for me it was too much for office slacks carry. Got a Delica and thought it was wonderful for general utility and ordered, oh, about 6 of them for Christmas-in-July presents for brothers-in-law, nephews, and friends. Not sure now of the sequence but somewhere in here purchased a Para3 and like the PM2 found it to be beautifully engineered and manufactured but a little fat in the pocket for my purposes. Picked up an Endura in stealth purple for office slacks carry and have been happy with that for that purpose but now with the Endela available I wanted to try something just a little smaller than the Endura and I like the Endela for this purpose. I might never cut anything with the Endela - just carrying for a just in case last resort emergency.

Not sure about the psychology of my actions.
Am I falling into the marketing hype you guys are generating here on the board?
Am I pushing back against my experiences as a youth in a somewhat poor family where we never had proper tools for any task at hand?
Am I a board old dude with to much time on my hands and a little disposable income?
Am I searching for a hobby?

Don't know. But I do feel some satisfaction knowing that I own a really fine tool ( well , 3 or 4...)
rak2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rak2 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Have never even cut a piece of paper with the PM2 or Para3.
It's crazy and I don't have a logical justification for how I fell into this small collection. Started out wanting something very capable and perhaps a little tactical and got the PM2 but then felt that for me it was too much for office slacks carry. Got a Delica and thought it was wonderful for general utility and ordered, oh, about 6 of them for Christmas-in-July presents for brothers-in-law, nephews, and friends. Not sure now of the sequence but somewhere in here purchased a Para3 and like the PM2 found it to be beautifully engineered and manufactured but a little fat in the pocket for my purposes. Picked up an Endura in stealth purple for office slacks carry and have been happy with that for that purpose but now with the Endela available I wanted to try something just a little smaller than the Endura and I like the Endela for this purpose. I might never cut anything with the Endela - just carrying for a just in case last resort emergency.

Not sure about the psychology of my actions.
Am I falling into the marketing hype you guys are generating here on the board?
Am I pushing back against my experiences as a youth in a somewhat poor family where we never had proper tools for any task at hand?
Am I a board old dude with to much time on my hands and a little disposable income?
Am I searching for a hobby?

Don't know. But I do feel some satisfaction knowing that I own a really fine tool ( well , 3 or 4...)
rak2
Hi rak2, somehow missed your reply, sorry.

Those thoughts of yours are really interesting, and maybe worth a dedicated thread (something along the lines of "What are the deep, psychological reasons that make us buy knives we don´t really need or even do not use at al").

But I have to say: In the context of this forum (!) your approach is not really "crazy" at all. I have a feeling, that there are probably quite many members who don´t use their best and most expensive knives not really at all, but have cheaper "beater-knives" for that. In your case it´s the same, in a way you are even just more sensible, cause YOUR "safe queens" are still pretty affordable (beeing basic PM2 and Para 3) and would in fact be the "beater knives" of many others, who have much more expensive "safe queens" instead (And let me say: Out of Endura, Endela, PM2 and Para 3 I´d also choose the two former as my EDC users a lot more often, just for the reason I like to use them more and as knives... :D )

I personally just could not have or keep knives I do not really carry and use, but that is just MY and ONE possible approach out of many, and all are similar "ok".

On this forum we´re all "the same" in that we love knives, but HOW exactly each person enjoys them, can vary a lot.
Just because I like and almost HAVE TO use my folders does never mean that I can´t fully respect and value even if another person enjoys just collecting knives like stamps or whatever.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Strangely enough, my most expensive knives (CRK) are among my most-used. Especially my 2002 large regular Sebenza has seen a lot of hard, sometimes dirty use. I'm never worried that I'm going to break or strain any part of it. I figure I might as well enjoy my knives while I'm here. If I'm too protective of my knives, who's going to care about them after I'm gone?

I almost pulled the trigger on an Endela the other day. I was in the process of ordering a Police 4 LWT, and was considering an Endela to add on to my order, but then backed away from the Endela. I do plan on getting an Endela (probably two; a PE and a SE, probably together), but it seems to keep getting pushed back. Plus, I don't purchase a whole lot of knives anymore anyway. Which make this year a weird one.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:12 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on an Endela the other day. I was in the process of ordering a Police 4 LWT, and was considering an Endela to add on to my order, but then backed away. I do plan on getting an Endela (probably two; a PE and a SE, probably together), but it seems to keep getting pushed back. Plus, I don't purchase a whole lot of knives anymore anyway. Which make this year a weird one.

Jim
Get the serrrated Endela at any rate, I´d say!
Haven´t looked it up, but there are really not many 3mm stock ffg (!) serrated Spyders easily (and for rather little money) available I am sure.
It is an amazing performer and a real workhorse, I am sure you won´t regret owning one.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:19 pm
James Y wrote:

I almost pulled the trigger on an Endela the other day. I was in the process of ordering a Police 4 LWT, and was considering an Endela to add on to my order, but then backed away. I do plan on getting an Endela (probably two; a PE and a SE, probably together), but it seems to keep getting pushed back. Plus, I don't purchase a whole lot of knives anymore anyway. Which make this year a weird one.

Jim
Haven´t looked it up, but there are really not many 3mm stock ffg (!) serrated Spyders easily (and for rather little money) available I am sure.
It is an amazing performer and a real workhorse, I am sure you won´t regret owning one.
The Endela I was planning on adding on to my P4 LWT order was indeed the serrated version. But then I got the feeling that ordering them both at the same time didn't feel right. Kind of a feeling in my gut. Otherwise, my first Endela would be on its way right now, along with my P4 LWT. :)

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:19 pm
James Y wrote:
The Endela I was planning on adding on to my P4 LWT order was indeed the serrated version. But then I got the feeling that ordering them both at the same time didn't feel right. Kind of a feeling in my gut. Otherwise, my first Endela would be on its way right now, along with my P4 LWT. :)

Jim
Too bad!! I would have loved to hear your thoughts on it and to share our experiences with it... but I am sure you´ll enjoy your P4 LW a lot, and your thoughts on THAT one are also interesting for me... ;)

But keep the SE Endela in mind... I have a feeling that in the current Spyderco line up it´s quite unique (in being 3mm ffg SE), and would please almost anyone who loves functional, workhorsey blades...
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

I’ve had an Endela on me almost every day since I got one in hand! For me, it’s that good! Loved the PE so much I got a SE, which may be even better!? Something magical about a FFG SE VG-10 blade. If they happen to make one in Cruwear, I may just have my perfect knife! Please oh please Sal and company, make an Endela in Cruwear!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:04 pm
I’ve had an Endela on me almost every day since I got one in hand! For me, it’s that good! Loved the PE so much I got a SE, which may be even better!? Something magical about a FFG SE VG-10 blade. If they happen to make one in Cruwear, I may just have my perfect knife! Please oh please Sal and company, make an Endela in Cruwear!
I can attest to this... I’ve seen some pictures for proof :rolleyes:

I may have to pick up and SE version
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:28 pm
blades&wrenches wrote:
I can attest to this... I’ve seen some pictures for proof :rolleyes:

I may have to pick up and SE version
So where are the pics? :D (below one of mine, when it was brand new. Looks a lot more used and beat up as of right now, cause, well, I like to use it so much)

And yes, do pick up an SE Endela. If you like the PE, you´ll love the SE, I am sure.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Man, I am glad you´re taking my part and recommend the Endela SE! I almost don´t dare to do so anymore, cause I don´t want to get annoying...
But it is so true what you´re saying about the "magic of an FFG SE VG 10 blade (in 3 mm blade stock). It´s just so noticeable better in performance than the same thing, but in sabre grind (like on the Endura and Delica SE, or combo edge (I have a CE Delica and had a CE Endura, so I know what I am talking about)

As for WHY that probably is (3mm stock ffg SE blades so good) I may quote forum member and obviously very experienced knife user "Evil D" from another thread. He is reffering to ffg as well as to thinner stock:

"The other issue is that the deeper into the blade the serrations go, the thicker the blade gets so the blade grind needs to be thinner, and since most SE knives have traditionally been saber/hollow grinds this meant that the blade was super thick at the top of the serrations. Now that we're seeing more FFG/SE blades hopefully we can get a happy middle ground where we have a decently deep serration that doesn't end up being super thick at the top of the bevel. As I see it, the better slicing/better performing SE/FFG combos are performing better not so much because of the shallow or deep grind of the serrations but rather because the blade is ground thin at the top of the serrations, ala Caribbean. It's also more than simply making them all FFG, if you compare the Caribbean to a SE Military the difference is drastic, the Military's blade grind is significantly thicker which reduces slicing performance. The resulting "deep serrations" really don't have much to do with the shape of the serrations themselves, they're a result of the thickness of the blade grind."

As for the great, "workhorsy" design of the Endela, I may quote another forum member and as far as I know also very experienced knife user "Jazz" from another thread:

"... It's really a great design that needs more talking about. I don't even like 3.5" knives, but I now have a PE and SE Endela. When it's in your hand, it just feels like you want to cut something with it. Something about it."

That´s well put and just true.