Why put liners in the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: Why put liners in the Delica?

Post by bearrowland »

Good for you! Nothing worse than losing a knife.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am
ferider wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

I'm with you. Except for Salt models, I completely fail to understand why the little additional weight matters for practical carry, while liners sure give more overall toughness (and add material value, too). For example, for liner-less Native 5 vs liner'ed Native 5, the liners just add 17g (e.g., C41GM45 comes in at 88g, while the C41GDBL5 is 105g). Anything less than 110g total, I can't feel in my pocket anyways, and I can loose more than 17g just by skipping dinner once :) And then, people love clips on liner-less tiny knives, which add ~10g by themselves. Somebody explain me this.

In fact this trend of going liner-less for most new releases pushes me away from Spyderco. In my example above, a fully liner'ed M4 Native 5 would have been the bee's knees, but like that, oh well ....
Several years ago I had a linered Native 5 (G10, S30V). I could never get the clip screws tight enough to keep the clip from wobbling. I threw some slightly longer clip screws from a Benchmade into it, and that solved the problem. I called Spyderco and asked for slightly longer clip screws - they told me that wasn't possible. I called again and was able to talk to Eric himself. I told Eric about the situation and offered to send the knife in with both sets of clip screws so he could see the problem. He said that wasn't necessary because there was nothing wrong with how they were making the Native 5. You can also go look at my first posts on this forum, and see the problems I had with liners rusting on two different Taiwan made knives. At that time I'd voided the warranty by disassembling those knives. Because of that experience, I quit buying Spyderco knives for several years.

Liners trap moisture, as in my sweat, and that causes corrosion. A fully linered M4 N5 would be a rust bucket. Liners are often too thin to get a clip mounted as tightly as I'd like. Thread inserts allow for better clip mounting. I could give a darn about saving a few grams of weight - I just want the knife to work.
My problem with the anti-liners (as with the pro-choils) is the fact they have this all or nothing mentality.There already ARE so many linerless,choiled Spydercos-why this obstination to make them ALL that way?I don't go around screaming the PM2 will be so much better without a choil,or the frn DF2 will be great with liners.
I'm not sure why you quoted my post to make this point. I didn't start this thread. If simply explaining why I prefer liner-less knives offends you, I'm sorry. I do have two Spydercos with liners, technically a liner each, a Dice and a Domino. The titanium liner under the show side scale on each of those is much thicker than the steel liners on most Spydies, and also much more corrosion resistant. I don't have a problem with liners per se, but I am quite frustrated with how Spyderco has implemented them in many designs.
It's just a discussion,no one should be offended-i'm certainly not.And i understand your frustration,from the other side of the table;i feel the same way about some linerless knives,i wished they had liners :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Just curious,what do you guys do that require so much corrosion resistance?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
tangent

Post by tangent »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:02 am
It's not that I require corrosion resistance...but if a knife can be made to be corrosion resistant (or corrosion proof) without sacrificing strength or any other characteristics, why not just make all of them that way? I understand that if H1 or LC200N is not used that it won't be corrosion proof, but regardless of the steel, it will be more corrosion resistant without the liners. And it's lighter... And it's simpler... etc, etc... :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

spyderwolf wrote:
I like corrosion resistance due to the environment I live in. It wasn't a big deal in Arizona, but here in banjo-music country it is a very big deal.

It's also for reliability and peace of mind. I don't have to worry about doing much, if anything to my Caribbean and it will keep on ticking indefinitely. I can't say the same about REX45, the blade matched the handles in less than two hours of carrying it.
(hadn't even got to the jobsite yet!) It was a great steel, but there was no way I would've been able to keep the rust at bay.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

spyderwolf wrote:
Apparently I have fairly corrosive sweat. And I'm a bit rotund. And I live in Southern Indiana, where it gets rather hot and humid in the summer. So, my body size and the climate where I live cause my pores to output quite a bit of my corrosive sweat this time of year. Hence, I'm carrying my Sage 2 and Spydiechef almost exclusively from now until early October.