Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Which ones would you buy as mules?? Select all that apply

Para 3 LW
22%
Native LW
28%
Manix LW
13%
FRN UKPK
28%
FRN Urban
9%

Total votes: 134

rooster81

Re: Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

Post by rooster81 »

There mule project is for testing steels, so whatever is the least expensive and most widely available. That would mean a sub 3 inch, non locking blade, correct?

I think I understand the spirit of this idea, I'm much more likely to carry around a folding mule in the real world. However, it would really be nice if more people who own mules would document their impressions.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Sal has indicated he has never been a fan of doing a folding mule as it adds a lot of costs. Making a "cheap" simple knife blank to get out to the masses was easy, cheaper and fast.

But... if Spyderco could make a handle that you would buy and just insert the various Mule Team blades, that would be cool. I could envision something like a folding box cutter. It would need to be something very easy to take apart, put a new blade in and just screw back together. But I am sure you would still have liability issues of people hurting themselves as it might not go back together correct or a part failing due to a blade replaceable design resulting in an injury. Plus the cost, design, safety and testing of such an handle would be a pain and add money to the mule team project.

If Spyderco ever did it though, I would be in.
Capture.JPG
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would definitely be in for that. But I can't imagine the development process to bring that product to Spyderco standards would ever be financially viable.

I think that non locking would get a lot of traction with some of our European members (and others living in restrictive jurisdictions) who can't carry a locking knife (or a midsize fixed blade) on a daily basis.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:33 pm

But... if Spyderco could make a handle that you would buy and just insert the various Mule Team blades, that would be cool. I could envision something like a folding box cutter. It would need to be something very easy to take apart, put a new blade in and just screw back together. But I am sure you would still have liability issues of people hurting themselves as it might not go back together correct or a part failing due to a blade replaceable design resulting in an injury. Plus the cost, design, safety and testing of such an handle would be a pain and add money to the mule team project.
Well, you could definitely do that with the Para 3 blade. I've switched several around and have had zero issues. That's a great idea. In fact, Para 3 blades would 100% sell out every time. There'd be no need for any kind of new production procedures on Spydercos part.

The only draw back would be the small number of people who have trouble putting the knife back together.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

rooster81 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:15 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:33 pm

Well, you could definitely do that with the Para 3 blade. I've switched several around and have had zero issues. That's a great idea. In fact, Para 3 blades would 100% sell out every time. There'd be no need for any kind of new production procedures on Spydercos part.

The only draw back would be the small number of people who have trouble putting the knife back together.
A PM 3 that you could saw mule blades on would rock. Maybe the mule PM3 Handel could have a notch, pin or something that would only let you put mule blades in it and mule blades would not go in a regular PM3.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:28 pm

A PM 3 that you could saw mule blades on would rock. Maybe the mule PM3 Handel could have a notch, pin or something that would only let you put mule blades in it and mule blades would not go in a regular PM3.
If you already own a para 3 or para 3 LW a blade swap is super easy.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

From out of nowhere, Leatherman releases the folding Mule. https://www.leatherman.com/batch-003-parts-690.html

I wonder if Spyderco would make blades for this knife?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bobartig,,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your suggestion, but for a number of reasons, some already expressed, it's not likely to happen.

Swapping blades on locking, or even non locking knives becomes a huge liability problem. Someone cuts themselves for any reason and the lawyers come out from under rocks.

sal
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am
From out of nowhere, Leatherman releases the folding Mule. https://www.leatherman.com/batch-003-parts-690.html

Wow, that's exactly what's been talked about in this thread! Haha
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:42 am
Hi Bobartig,,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your suggestion, but for a number of reasons, some already expressed, it's not likely to happen.

Swapping blades on locking, or even non locking knives becomes a huge liability problem. Someone cuts themselves for any reason and the lawyers come out from under rocks.

sal
Tis but a scratch...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Gerber had a “bolt action” model that came with 3 blade.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:34 pm
Gerber had a “bolt action” model that came with 3 blade.
If I remember it was a Blackie Collins design . I had and used it in the early 80’s and eventually gave it to a friend . Wasn’t a bad knife for that time period . No clip , sheath wore out and had a custom leather made for it . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Case, Boker, and Buck also had/have models with 3 interchangeable blades. So we know it is possible, but if Spyderco does not want the legal exposure, I can respect that.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:20 am
Case, Boker, and Buck also had/have models with 3 interchangeable blades. So we know it is possible, but if Spyderco does not want the legal exposure, I can respect that.
I agree In the world we live in one has to look at the big picture . What seems like a good idea with great potential could also create a tremendous financial burden on a company . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

tcarltonw wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:44 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am

Wow, that's exactly what's been talked about in this thread! Haha
Just got my shipping confirmation for LM Garage 3. I'm really curious to see how secure they've managed to make the blade swapping mechanism. I'm an avid leatherman collector, but not really into their dedicated knives.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Don't need a folding mule, but if one were to appear...then obviously in the form of the upcoming Caly LW!
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Someone cuts themselves for any reason and the lawyers come out from under rocks.

Dick the Butcher, in Shakespeare's Henry VI: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Hey, I'm not advocating violence, I am quoting Shakespeare--so sue me.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
David R

Post by David R »

I'm not following the concept here. How does a version of an existing folder qualify as a "mule?" Does this mean we could consider all the folding models with different steels mules? This seems to me to be blurring the line between a limited production run and a mule. Is the idea that one folding model would get all the new steels Spydero wants to try? If so, this would seem to a riskier and more expensive model for Spyderco than the current mule model.

People swapping blades? This sounds like a support nightmare. I would not want to go there if it were my company.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The idea would be for Spyderco to run the UKPK in a variety of new steels (same as they do with the Mule Team fixed blade) and then sell them direct. It would be different from the other folder variants because (a) the idea would be to test new steels (not to make exclusives for a dealer or distributor) and (b) they would only be sold factory direct.

The idea would be to make them in obscure or exotic steels (not steels in general use), like the current Mule Team fixed blades, for knife hobbyists to try out and report on. Basically, that would be the same idea as the current Mule Team, except that making a many-jurisdiction legal EDC folder (like the UKPK or Urban) would bring in a larger number of possible 'testers' and also make it more reasonable for many people to carry and test them in an EDC environment.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

sal wrote:
Hi Bobartig,,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sal, I think this pretty much overlaps the concerns evoked in the "Spyderco spare parts" thread over at the main forum.

I or someone else may have already suggested this (excuse my bad memory), but what if you simply sold Mule blades under a sealed wrapping on which would feature a disclaimer - written in big, bold characters - such as the following :
⚠️WARNING : THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL PART INTENDED TO BE INSTALLED AT THE USER'S SOLE DISCRETION.

SPYDERCO INC. THEREFORE DENIES ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES, MALFUNCTIONS, DESTRUCTIONS, INJURIES OR DEATHS WHICH MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT.
I think this kind of disclaimer is pretty common in the consumer industry, thus the related legal advice from your lawyers could be expedited quickly and cheaply.

This might be naïf on my part, but I assume that this disclaimer would keep lawsuits at bay.
Or at least, would ensure that you end up winning, get your lawyer fees reimbursed, and deter future actions of the same sort.

There's still the possibility of reputational damage, whereby clients can't sue you but can diss your company.
However, since we're not talking about slling spare parts on a large scale to various customers, but only a limited number of components to a restricted audience who more or less know what they're doing, such a risk should be very low.