Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ATC729

Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Post by ATC729 »

I'm pretty new to knives and I have next to zero experience with sharpening. What is an easy and fairly inexpensive sharpener to start with? I have considered the Sharpmaker and the Lansky system. Any other suggestions?
krsmitty

Re: Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Post by krsmitty »

I started with a Lansky system and them moved to the sharpmaker. Depending on how dull/bad the blade is...I start with the Lansky and then use the sharpmaker for final touches and sharpening as needed.

You can go to youtube and do a search on sharpeners and find what seems like 100's of them. For now, I stick with the sharpmaker...easiest to use for me.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have both. I prefer the sharpmaker, but the lansky is better for reprofiling edges. Although the sharpmaker is no slouch with the diamond rods, it takes longer. Less fiddly though.

If you could only have one? Sharpmaker.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Definitely recommend the Sharpmaker as the best beginner's sharpening tool.

If you want to go further, I can recommend the Hapstone V7 as a good option for a guided sharpening system.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 am
Definitely recommend the Sharpmaker as the best beginner's sharpening tool.

If you want to go further, I can recommend the Hapstone V7 as a good option for a guided sharpening system.
^ Yep!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

I guess there is a reason the Sharpmaker is the most popular sharpener on all of the websites.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I too recommend the Sharpmaker. If the job requires more extensive measures I use my KME guided sharpening system. Both of these sharpeners have never failed me.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
carrot

Post by carrot »

I have owned and consistently used the Sharpmaker now for over 12 years. In that sense, it has been a better investment than most of the knives it has sharpened.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If you are up for it, learn to use water stones. The learning curve is a bit steeper than a Sharpmaker (but not drastically so), but you do get more flexibility and speed (once you get the hang of it). There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube. Deadbox Hero (Big Brown Bear on YouTube) is a good place to start. I like the Murray Carter method (plenty of his videos on YouTube, and his fundamentals digital download is not terribly expensive). A King combo stone is reasonably priced and good enough for a beginner (assuming you don't have steels above S30V).
Ric

Post by Ric »

A benchstone for kitchen knives (a cheap one is enough) and the Sharpmaker for pocket knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Even with reprofiling challenges I'd still say the Sharpmaker is the most idiot proof sharpening system. Get the diamond rods and/or CBN rods for more aggressive cutting and watch the DVD a few times over, ask lots of questions here (the only dumb question is the one you don't ask) and you'll be sharp in no time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

I have tried and accumulated a wide range different sharpening tools over the years. I have a Norton Crystolon 8" coarse stone, a DMT 8" fine, a DMT 6" coarse, a steel honing rod, a ceramic honing rod, a neat per-treated leather strop, and a Sharpmaker with optional Diamond and ultra-fine ceramic rods. If you are just getting into knives, a standard Sharpmaker is where you should start. As your needs grow add the diamond rods. I only use my DMT 6" and 8" stones when I aggressively need to reprofile knives. Once you learn the Sharpmaker you will known if you need more sharpener.
vivi

Post by vivi »

When it comes to sharpening there's nothing you can't accomplish with a sharpmaker and an extra course 8"+ DMT for reprofiling. With practice this swtup will give you shaving sharp edges on every knife you own.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I vote sharpmaker for the best learning curve to results ratio.
kwselke wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 pm
I have tried and accumulated a wide range different sharpening tools over the years. I have a Norton Crystolon 8" coarse stone, a DMT 8" fine, a DMT 6" coarse, a steel honing rod, a ceramic honing rod, a neat per-treated leather strop, and a Sharpmaker with optional Diamond and ultra-fine ceramic rods. If you are just getting into knives, a standard Sharpmaker is where you should start. As your needs grow add the diamond rods. I only use my DMT 6" and 8" stones when I aggressively need to reprofile knives. Once you learn the Sharpmaker you will known if you need more sharpener.
My coarse 8" crystolon removes metal a lot faster than any c/xc diamond plates. My diamond plates are mostly for truing and finishing after profiling.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like DMT's because they last decades, can be used dry, produce very little mess and require no maintence. Simply wipe with a damp cloth when they get loaded up with steel and that's it.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Yep, diamond plates will last indefinitely if used right. I have 30+ year old eze laps that have been constantly used all that time that still cut well.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

1) Sharpmaker
2) Sharpmaker

Watch the videos on YouTube of Sal and company demonstrating how to use same. It’s the only one you need. I never use my Arkansas stones anymore. I am not an advanced user so I am sure there are some great more capable systems but for kitchen implements, knives, and scissors it’s great and keeps all my knives folding, fixed and kitchen in great shape. The only thing I sharpen not using the Sharpmaker is wood chisels and IMO those are dead easy.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

It sounds like the Sharpmaker will be my sharpener of choice then! I want to keep my Spydercos sharp and I have plenty of older cheap dull knives to practice on!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Also, a magnifying loupe will save you a lot of time in analysing what's going on with your edges, and learning to 'read' the sound and feel of the stones. I use a Belomo Triplet 10x, and can recommend it - they use Zeiss glass.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I used to dabble with a Sharpmaker-style sharpener back in the 80's. I find the style moderately effective and basic.

I have a Lansky that I got when I decided to get serious. I used it a couple times, and I see how it could be useful, and in fact the sole sharpener for some people. Not a bad way to go.

When I was starting out, I ended up setting with a cheap Chinese clone of the Edge Pro. Right away, I was able to churn out some nice work. Since the tool is Chinese, I had to do some repairs to it within the first couple months. Then I tired of the cheap stones, and started accumulating some good Japanese rocks. Then I moved on to CBN and diamond paste. The point is, it's a basic unit that will allow you to do some good work.

If you're crazy serious, you might eventually want to move up to a REAL Edge Pro. Your work will improve, and your pocket will be empty. But look at it this way: You spend a couple hundred dollars on a single knife and somehow rationalize that. But you'll balk at spending 300-700 on tools that will bring all your edges into he realm of insane sharpness.