Yojimbo Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Yojimbo Love?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like my Yojimbo so much , I recently sold my Canis to a friend of mine . Don’t get me wrong the Canis is a great knife . The Yojimbo for me feels better in hand and the I prefer the beefier construction . It’s one knife I will never part with in my collection . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm a big fan of my yojimbo too. i haven't carried it as much since i got my caribbean, but i happen to be carrying it today. it's always fun to rotate out knives you like for other knives you like and haven't carried for a while. it's like reuniting with an old friend.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Vivi:

I'm glad you are enjoying the YoJumbo and hope it serves you well.

With regard to your other wishes...

Different Lock: It won't work on the Yo design without narrowing the blade significantly or requiring an index-finger choil. The only other possibilities that would maintain the same basic design are a LinerLock (not my preference) or possibly a Stop Lock.

Thumb Placement: That's up to individual hand size. Hands are organic and subjective, knives are inflexible objects. What feels great to one person may not be comfortable for someone else. The only exceptions are very generic handle shapes with no contouring. They fit everybody, but they're boring.

With that said, the one regret I have regarding the Yo 2 design was the jimped thumb ramp and "crest" at the top of the handle. Back then, I wasn't sure the market would embrace it and included a thumb purchase for all the saber-grip guys out there. When the Yo 2 Trainer came out years later and I had the chance to work with it for hours on end at Martial Blade Camp, I realized that was a hot spot. For normal use, it's not an issue. Training 10-12 hours a day, however, is different. My personal Yo 2 trainer took a trip to the grinder after that...

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:33 am

With that said, the one regret I have regarding the Yo 2 design was the jimped thumb ramp and "crest" at the top of the handle. Back then, I wasn't sure the market would embrace it and included a thumb purchase for all the saber-grip guys out there. When the Yo 2 Trainer came out years later and I had the chance to work with it for hours on end at Martial Blade Camp, I realized that was a hot spot. For normal use, it's not an issue. Training 10-12 hours a day, however, is different. My personal Yo 2 trainer took a trip to the grinder after that...

Stay safe,

Mike

I zeroed in on this one pretty early and "melted" pretty much all the sharp edges. While I'm no expert on knife defense or firearms, I like the concept of a smooth grip not locking you into a poor grip and sharp edges tend to cause hot spots on work knives anyway so I avoid them most of the time if I can.

https://youtu.be/4trmOFxuJw0
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:33 am
Hey, Vivi:

I'm glad you are enjoying the YoJumbo and hope it serves you well.

With regard to your other wishes...

Different Lock: It won't work on the Yo design without narrowing the blade significantly or requiring an index-finger choil. The only other possibilities that would maintain the same basic design are a LinerLock (not my preference) or possibly a Stop Lock.

Thumb Placement: That's up to individual hand size. Hands are organic and subjective, knives are inflexible objects. What feels great to one person may not be comfortable for someone else. The only exceptions are very generic handle shapes with no contouring. They fit everybody, but they're boring.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike

The Yojumbo has actually given me a new appreciation for compression locks. I always loved their operation, simplicity and overall strength, but wasn't sold on them keeping the knife closed as well as lockbacks and CBBL.

The detent on my Yojumbo is perfect. It's stiff, but not difficult to overcome when opening the knife. It's kept the blade shut perfectly, even carrying the knife IWB on some runs to really test this aspect of the lock.

If all compression lock knives had this type of detent, I don't think I would have ever gotten away from them.

Regarding thumb placement, both the Ronin 2 and Yojumbo work really well for my grip. The point between the scales and blade is more rounded on the Ronin, giving me more options. While the Yojumbo features a much different design on the spine side. I find a comfortable spot to rest my thumb regardless of which grip I use.

In fact that's one reason the Yojumbo grew on me so quickly. The lack of a large hump for a spyderhole means my thumb is always perfectly comfortable, whether I'm choked up on the handle or gripped further back. It's a design feature I've come to appreciate on the Chief and Siren as well.

It never stops amazing me how receptive Spyderco is to customer wishes. One of the main reasons I've stuck around here for so long.

Thabks again for the Yojumbo! Carrying it again today :bug-white-red
:unicorn