Shaman thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Shaman thoughts

Post by Tucson Tom »

One thing I was really looking forward to in 2019 was picking up a Shaman. I was holding back waiting for the first exclusive to be released, and was fortunate enough to get one of the BHQ M4 Shamans. I have been carrying it regularly, and even using it now and then. ;)

So here are some impressions. First of all, I love the blade. I have a predilection for big stout blades, and this knife has exactly what I want. M4 is fantastic of course. I was expecting great things from the handle with the contoured G10, but it has surprised me in a couple of ways.

This may sound ungrateful (and it surprises me) but I almost prefer the feel of the uncontoured G10 in the Manix. The square edges just sort of lock it into my grip, whereas the Shaman doesn't have a strong opinion about where it wants to be. But you simply grab hold and get to work and everything is fine.

I had noticed that the inner edges of the G10 like to grab my skin when I adjust my grip on the knife. This was bugging me, so I got some 600 grit wet dry paper and spent all of about a minute getting rid of those edges. It is a marked improvement! Sort of "dehorned" the knife.

It seems odd that the metal piece at the butt end of the knife is recessed below the G10. Me, I would make it flush, but this is no real issue and a silly thing to fuss over, but it puzzles me.

In some ways, I would like to see a Shaman made without the contoured handles. Sort of like a Shaman blade on a Manix handle. It is just an idea. I have my Shaman and a Manix 2 side by side and go back and forth and compare how they feel in my hand. I actually like the Manix a bit better, but I do have big hands.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Re: Shaman thoughts

Post by Tucson Tom »

Oh, and some comments about the Shaman and "hard use".

I took the Shaman on a 3 day backpacking trip last week, and it served me well. I didn't have any 3 inch hawsers to saw through, and didn't do any batoning either. But I did push it to the limit, as follows:

-- I cut the top off of a bag of figs. The blade went through that plastic like a hot knife through butter.
-- I cut up a 2.5 inch diameter apple. Again, the knife hardly slowed down and performed beautifully.
-- This is the big one. At the trailhead, I used the knife to cut a pillow in half. Pillows are big as you know. The Shaman zipped through that cotton fabric like you wouldn't believe. I don't think a fixed blade would have done any better. And I saved the weight of half of a pillow (and the half pillow worked great).

And there you have it. Other than serving as a good luck talisman hanging on my pack, the Shaman did everything I asked of it, and was ready for more.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i felt the same about the shaman grip when i tried one in golden. it doesn’t fill my hand at the back of the grip like the manix does. it’s not uncomfortable, but side by side it’s definitely noticeable that my ring and pinky fingers aren’t as secure. i actually thought i was going to have to buy a shaman on that trip and ended up walking out with just a couple of stickers and my manix 2 lw in my pocket. and that was two price increases ago.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dang, I hate seeing these comments about the scales. I haven't had a chance to try a Shaman yet, but planned on buying the first exclusive that appealed to me. I have been concerned about the contoured grips because I REALLY like the flat slab grips on all of my other knives. I wonder if a dealer can request an "uncontoured" G10 Shaman exclusive with regular old peel ply texture G10 flat slab grips??? THAT I would buy in a heartbeat! I still will probably try the Shaman as-is at some point though to see for myself.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

there’s really nothing wrong with the shaman (aside from my views on the price, which i’ve shared enough already). i just preferred my manix and feel no need to buy a shaman personally. i would say the grip fills the hand about the same as the pm2, which i also found slightly lacking under my ring and pinky fingers in comparison to the manix. hope that helps. basically, if you want one (and don’t think they are overpriced), i’m sure you’ll be happy with it.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One of the instances where I have to say: Amazing, how different (in a positive way) we all sometimes are.. till I just read your posts, Tucson Tom and ladybug93, I was quite sure that I could safely recommend the Shaman to anyone (other than a person with really small hands) concerning ergos and feel in hand. But obviously I was wrong on that, and probably a bit "blinded" by MY own personal experience..?

For me it is just perfect in that capacity (ergos and feel in hand). Though I have to say: I never really owned a Shaman (yet...), just was allowed to handle one quite a bit twice, including some cutting and whittling. So I can't speak about real extensive use. But I've owned a Manix 2 lw, and the Shaman does feel even better in my L to XL hands, of that I am sure (and the Manix already had great ergos for me).

In fact, the Shaman felt so great in hand, that I almost could not put it down, and that's by far the main reason why it is really of all available Spyderco- models which I don't own at the moment, the one I want the most. Which really says something, for generally it should not be the kind of knife I normally prefer. It's quite heavy, does not feature a backlock, has rather thick blade stock, and the choil takes away a good amount of cutting edge. Still, in the Shaman that somehow does not bother me at all, but it is rather exactly how it should be.

For me the contouring of the scales really is a plus, I could get a perfectly safe grip. And the sharp corners on the inside of the scales was something I noticed when looking at the knife, but did not bother me in use.

One thing that surprised me positively, was how good the Shaman slices. At first glance one would not expect that when looking at the thick blade, but the blade height compensates that and makes for a still very good slicing geometry.

I do sound like a fan-boy... ;) ... and don't even HAVE a Shaman... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Don't take the negative things I say in a negative way. I still really like the Shaman and have no regrets about getting one. I am just being blunt and laying out my observations so they are on the record. Who knows if they might get folded into the Shaman 2 or 3 or 4. There is every chance in the world that I will get tempted by another exclusive if one comes along. The blade really cancels the negatives of the handle. Anything the blade doesn't cancel, the compression lock finishes off. Also 1 minute and 50 cents worth of wet/dry paper takes care of the inside edge of the G10. My views tend to continually evolve. Even among people, some of my best friends I didn't like at all when I first met them. We'll see how I feel about the Shaman after a few months. I think it is going to settle in well.

I also think the knife might really benefit from micarta, or a G10 with a bit more tooth, that would engate the hand more. I say all this, but I remind myself that the knives my dad carried were all smooth and slick. See how spoiled and fussy we get.

Certain reviewers complained about how part of the blade shows up alongside the release tab for the lock. This is a total non-issue. It is only there when the knife is closed and no part of my anatomy is anywhere in the vicinity then. When the knife is open is when you want to actuate the tab. So that is fine.

Yeah, a slab scale Shaman would be a cool thing. Then it really would be a Native on steroids (and with a compression lock).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:51 pm
Don't take the negative things I say in a negative way. I still really like the Shaman and have no regrets about getting one. I am just being blunt and laying out my observations so they are on the record. Who knows if they might get folded into the Shaman 2 or 3 or 4. There is every chance in the world that I will get tempted by another exclusive if one comes along. The blade really cancels the negatives of the handle. Anything the blade doesn't cancel, the compression lock finishes off. Also 1 minute and 50 cents worth of wet/dry paper takes care of the inside edge of the G10. My views tend to continually evolve. Even among people, some of my best friends I didn't like at all when I first met them. We'll see how I feel about the Shaman after a few months. I think it is going to settle in well.

Certain reviewers complained about how part of the blade shows up alongside the release tab for the lock. This is a total non-issue. It is only there when the knife is closed and no part of my anatomy is anywhere in the vicinity then. When the knife is open is when you want to actuate the tab. So that is fine.

Yeah, a slab scale Shaman would be a cool thing. Then it really would be a Native on steroids (and with a compression lock).
I don´t take them in a negative way, but really like your differentiated, honest (and mostly positive anyway) view on the Shaman!
In a way I even learned (once more) to really NEVER generalize my own experiences. I normally don´t do that anyway, but I think the Shaman somehow managed to make me less objective as I should be concerning ergos... ;)

Other than you, I´d prefer the Standard, S30V Shaman to the Exclusive. Mainly, cause I prefer the stonewashed finish, but also the black G10. And I don´t know enough about steel to really value a "better" one than S30 V...
What I am REALLY looking forward to and hope to really come true is the Micarta Shaman... again, I would be ok with S30V in such a model also, and hope that the blade will be stone washed like in the standard model...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

For my hands, the Shaman is the peak of ergonomic comfort of any folding Spydie I have (or have had).
Where my Manix 2 lock back wins over it is weight.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm more in Wartsteins camp, the Shamans ergo are one of my favorite second only to perhaps the fluted CF native. Although what I like about it may be exactly what others dislike about it. Everyones taste varies.

Good Review 👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While I do agree that slab construction indexes a knife well in the hand I must say that I find the ergonomics on the Shaman to be great. One of my favorites for sure. It is not just the contouring but also the added thickness that works for me.

Solid post, thanks for sharing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll echo the Manix preference.

I get the feeling that the Shaman may want to roll under heavy pressure. It hasn’t actually done so in my use. Just a feeling... The stronger indexing of the Manix has never given me this feeling.

As to physical comfort, the Shaman wants for nothing in my hand.

So, as Sal has said about steels, all (Shaman and Manix handles) good, just different.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:04 am

I get the feeling that the Shaman may want to roll under heavy pressure. It hasn’t actually done so in my use. Just a feeling... The stronger indexing of the Manix has never given me this feeling.

So, as Sal has said about steels, all (Shaman and Manix handles) good, just different.
a lot of fixed blade bushcraft knives have completely rounded “broomstick” handles for comfort in extended hard use. i don’t think the contoured handles of the shaman will be a problem.

i still also prefer the manix for all the reasons i already stated, but rolling in your hand shouldn’t be an issue.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 am
wrdwrght wrote:

a lot of fixed blade bushcraft knives have completely rounded “broomstick” handles for comfort in extended hard use. i don’t think the contoured handles of the shaman will be a problem.

i still also prefer the manix for all the reasons i already stated, but rolling in your hand shouldn’t be an issue.
As I said, the Shaman has not rolled in my use.

My several BHK/LT Wright bushcraft knives, whose blades are barely taller than their broomsticks, do not even hint they might roll.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

My several BHK/LT Wright bushcraft knives, whose blades are barely taller than their broomsticks, do not even hint they might roll.
those are exactly what i was thinking. i was trying to set your mind at ease because it seemed like you were worried it might roll in your hand even though it hasn’t. i was also trying to say something positive about the shaman so i don’t seem like a total hater. haha
current collection:
spyderco steels:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:19 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

those are exactly what i was thinking. i was trying to set your mind at ease because it seemed like you were worried it might roll in your hand even though it hasn’t. i was also trying to say something positive about the shaman so i don’t seem like a total hater. haha
I think we’ve been on the same page, and are still.

I just wanted to mention the disparity in blade/handle height as a factor in my concern about roll. The more the disparity, the more likely.

A Santoku can challenge me...

youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Tucson Tom wrote:

I think most compression lock fans would disagree with you here! Have you never used the compression lock to deploy your blade? :eek: To me, that constitutes least half of the value a compression lock brings to the table. Be sure to try this next time you get the chance! The other half is being able to 1 hand close more easily and faster than any other lock. This also means you can open the knife just as fast though - opening the knife using the lock not only can easily beat a switchblade in speed, it also takes less coordination and fumbling than the next fastest/best opening method i.e Spydie flick or button switch.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:27 am
Tucson Tom wrote:

I think most compression lock fans would disagree with you here! Have you never used the compression lock to deploy your blade? :eek: To me, that constitutes least half of the value a compression lock brings to the table. Be sure to try this next time you get the chance! The other half is being able to 1 hand close more easily and faster than any other lock. This also means you can open the knife just as fast though - opening the knife using the lock not only can easily beat a switchblade in speed, it also takes less coordination and fumbling than the next fastest/best opening method i.e Spydie flick or button switch.
Amazing! Thank you! No, I never had.

I never knew or thought about opening a compression lock knife this way, but I pulled out a PM2 as soon as I read your post, and by golly I was able to manage this the first time without fumbling or extensive practice. It is pretty slick.

So, I can see how the blade piece (there must be a name for it) on the Shaman would make you crazy if you have an itch to use this method.

I carry so many different knives and am changing what I carry all the time, so I stick with the reliable method of pushing the blade open with my thumb on the Spyderco Hole. It always works, and there is something to be said for making a habit out of one thing that always works.

But thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is straightforward and simple.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm

I carry so many different knives and am changing what I carry all the time, so I stick with the reliable method of pushing the blade open with my thumb on the Spyderco Hole. It always works, and there is something to be said for making a habit out of one thing that always works.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who just pushes the blade open with the thumbhole. Lol. Here I thought everyone was a flicker!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ive never had a problem opening the shaman via the lock. Maybe I've just got skinny fingers.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal