Are benchstones covered under warranty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
basedlarrydavid

Are benchstones covered under warranty?

Post by basedlarrydavid »

So, I'm wanting to pick up an 8x3 Spyderco UF but I've heard numerous complaints of some of them not being flat at the time of purchase and having inconsistencies in the surface.

In fact, I recently picked up a 6x1 UF (obviously not a Spyderco product -- this seller cuts them from the full-sized) and it was decidedly not flat; not from cutting, but noticeable unevenness across the entire surface. I took an Atoma 400 grit diamond to it, followed by some 240 grit AlOx on glass (I had broken the grit down a bit before by gently lapping a diamond waterstone), then a few pumps of 2-micron diamond emulsion mixed with water to form a slurry on glass. The end result was a smooth, flat surface that worked well, though it may have made it into an ultra, ultra fine. ;-)

At any rate, if I pick up the 8x3 and it isn't flat, I would probably need to buy a new Atoma, as lapping the 6x1 really put a lot of wear on the plate (FWIW, it was getting close to needing to be replaced anyhow), which would cost almost as much as the UF stone itself. And that whole process was a real PITA. I would much rather send it back to Golden and have them straighten it out or send me a new one.

Thanks in advance!
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Zatx

Re: Are benchstones covered under warranty?

Post by Zatx »

Unless it is very extreme, Spyderco will probably find that it fits within their allowed tolerances. I’ve had much better luck just returning it to the retailer from which I bought it for an even exchange.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

I believe most complaints about surface flatness are from the M and F stones, whose final shape is as sintered, not from the UF stone, which is ground after sintering. IT could be that it in fact was the vendor's resizing process that induced the lack of flatness; they must also be grinding or cutting the stones to thickness to achieve the 4-5 mm that I've seen specified.

I did have a 306UF stone that had to go back to Spyderco for some irregular surface finish on one side. They sent me a brand new stone as a replacement. Both the one I sent in and the replacement I received were very flat on both sides however.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve got a small bump on the F half of my original doublestuff. It’s really annoying to hit while sharpening. And not ideal for the blade either.

Do you think a diamond plate such as from my field worksharp would knock that down?
vivi

Post by vivi »

All my bench stones from them have been flat. Including my UF.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:44 am
I’ve got a small bump on the F half of my original doublestuff. It’s really annoying to hit while sharpening. And not ideal for the blade either.

Do you think a diamond plate such as from my field worksharp would knock that down?

I've got some of those bumps on my F and UF Sharpmaker rods. Fortunately there is at least one side in each stone that is bump free so I just use those sides, but I agree it is annoying, and damaging to an edge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I had luck getting a replacement UF stone for sharpmaker after sending them a pic of the unevenness you should return to retailer or contact them for sure.
P10296661.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut