Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
C_Claycomb

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by C_Claycomb »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:32 am
So I would like your opinions on manufacturing locations? Maybe if Chris sees this thread, he'll chime in? Maybe a new thread?

sal
Hello folks,
Sal explained the challenge of site capacity and cost for having a knife made in Taiwan or Golden vs the materials and price point available from their supplier in mainland China. I had really hoped to be able to cut cost through a design that needed less finishing than the BushcraftUK or the Proficient, but that doesn't address the capacity problem, and might not cut enough cost. It helped my thought process that I was able to have a long chat with Phil Wilson :cheap-sunglasses

While it is great to hear of folks enjoying the performance and quality of the Taiwan made knives, one of my objectives with the newer designs was to get something I could recommend to friends and acquaintances who don't have £300+ to spend. As a designer it is nice to know that people like the design, but it is also good to know that its a commercial success, and that your design has found its way into the hands of more people. The Proficient was a really slow seller. The Spyderco enthusiasts here are sadly but a small part of the market. It would be great to be able to have both premium materials and low cost :party-face , but there is only so much cake to go around.

All the best and thanks

Chris
ikaretababy

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by ikaretababy »

I really like the idea of an accessible version even if made in mainland China. My favorite part of the design is the impeccable ergos and not so much the blade steel. If a China-made proficient/bushcraft came out at a similar price point as the bow river it would be a no-brainer purchase for me.

That said, so would a Taiwan/Golden-made version that was 400 dollars.