Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by legOFwhat? »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm
Hi LegOF,

You prefer the way it sits down in the sheath with or without the sleeve? Without the sleeve, it sits lower, but it' not as convenient to retrieve.

sal
Hello Sal,

I would prefer without the sleeve, but I can only compare it with the Province since I don't have the Proficient. I think I would value the comfort of the lower seat over then just focus resheathing, I'm fine with having tight retrieval.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:16 am
Hi Pancake,

What would you consider affordable? These days, it seems that affordable means made in China.

sal
For me, it's more about end price.
In my eyes, Waterway is affordable, being about 150 € here. I think it is a great value for materials and quality.

Proficient on other hand is outsider my price range, and to be honest, it's more than I want to spend on fixed, that I know is going to get beaten in the woods.

Cru-Wear and micarta is not going to be much cheaper here. Standard S90V and CF is around 350€...

Maybe I buy as my one knife per year.....

On affordable fixed blade I was thinking about 4 inch blade, high saber grind, some good steel, 4.5 inch handle. Some cuts have to be made, like not using so much contouring, more like a Shaman scales, just rounded edges.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like a nice deep sheath.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Here we go again.

I obviously don’t represent the market because the South Fork did not sell well and the Bow River appears to be selling well. I bought a Southfork and did not buy a Bow River.

If this knife moves towards a budget knife I am out. I already wish it could be made in Golden, moving it to mainland China with 8cr13 would 100% be a deal breaker.

That said, if that is what folks really want then go for it. I just want Spyderco to succeed and I already have all my knife needs covered.
It seems like there are other US-made fixed blades with micarta and cruwear in the $175-$250 price range. I'd definitely bite in that range.
That is probably optimistic. The Bushcraft was $349 msrp when it was discoed in 2018. At today’s MAP that would be $245. The Proficient is currently at $343 map.

You can get a Bark River field knife in Cruwear Micarta for $250 on up depending on model and materials. I have a Wilderness Explorer and currently they are $300 or more. It seems like this knife will largely have to compete against some of those.

I think it will be more than $245 and less than $343. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:19 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Here we go again.

I obviously don’t represent the market because the South Fork did not sell well and the Bow River appears to be selling well. I bought a Southfork and did not buy a Bow River.

If this knife moves towards a budget knife I am out. I already wish it could be made in Golden, moving it to mainland China with 8cr13 would 100% be a deal breaker.

That said, if that is what folks really want then go for it. I just want Spyderco to succeed and I already have all my knife needs covered.
It seems like there are other US-made fixed blades with micarta and cruwear in the $175-$250 price range. I'd definitely bite in that range.
That is probably optimistic. The Bushcraft was $349 msrp when it was discoed in 2018. At today’s MAP that would be $245. The Proficient is currently at $343 map.

You can get a Bark River field knife in Cruwear Micarta for $250 on up depending on model and materials. I have a Wilderness Explorer and currently they are $300 or more. It seems like this knife will largely have to compete against some of those.

I think it will be more than $245 and less than $343. ;)
I think you're right, but I'll admit, it's hard for me to spend $300 on a knife that I'd want to use hard. There's a reason I don't own a Bark River or a South fork yet, as beautiful as they are, and as much as I want them.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 am
I think you're right, but I'll admit, it's hard for me to spend $300 on a knife that I'd want to use hard. There's a reason I don't own a Bark River or a South fork yet, as beautiful as they are, and as much as I want them.
Exactly my thoughts.

One of my most loved fixed is my own version of Woodlore that I made from O2 steel. That knife cost me just raw materials and my time. Yes, there is also a sentimantal value to that knife, but if something went wrong and I broke it, I would not missed that knife that much, or I would just made another exactly like that.
There is a upper limit for a fixed blade. I crossed that limit in the past....and I sold that knife. I just cant really justified to use fixed blade more expensive as 200 €.

Maybe I am going to make an another thread about ,,more affordable,, fixed blade soonTM
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve only ever spent >$200 on a knife 3 times. The ZT is gone. The Dozier and Bark River are still here. Guess which fixed blade I use the most? A Mora!

At $300 it would be a hard pass for me.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:28 am
I’ve only ever spent >$200 on a knife 3 times. The ZT is gone. The Dozier and Bark River are still here. Guess which fixed blade I use the most? A Mora!

At $300 it would be a hard pass for me.
I am sorry, I could not resist :D
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

😂 that’s awesome. I’m stealing that and posting it in the Mora Tribe at BCUSA!

You know it’s funny, things that make you go hmm... the human condition. If I were to add up the dollars spent on Mora knives I’d come close to a fancy-ish fixed blade. But some of the Mora were for the kids; one for the truck, a couple 3 different designs to try out... Thinking about replacing the super crappy steak knife set with Mora.

🤷‍♂️

P.s. $30USD will get you a Kansbol off Amazon at the moment; other serviceable Mora can be had for as low as $10! :eek:
bearfacedkiller

I use a $12 carbon Mora Companion all the time. I love it. I also use my $300 Bark River Wilderness Explorer quite a bit.

There are a lot of pricey bushcraft knives that sell well enough. Fallniven, Bark River, Fiddleback, LT Wright, Battlehorse, Busse and some I am missing.

You can also take a step down and get a Becker, Esee, Tops or Condor. When I really abuse a knife it is often a Becker.

Price is an important part of the discussion for sure. A lot of people seem interested in this knife but I also think a lot of people will get sticker shock when they see the price. We might as well clear up that part before we move forward.

I am hoping it comes in a bit under $300. It is still gonna be a premium knife but hopefully in a more user friendly configuration than the Proficient. I cannot bring myself to beat on the Proficient and mine is mostly a collectible.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Just some thoughts to share:

Knives that are more expensive because they cost more to make. Materials, labor, etc. are there so that the knife would be a more effective "user". We make them to be effective users.

Thanx for the comments on the sheath.

sal
bearfacedkiller

I didn’t mean to imply that the Proficient wasn’t a good user. I broke down a deer with mine. It is a very nice knife. When I do bushcrafty wilderness things I like to be hard on knives and I cannot bring myself to use it in that role. That is probably silly and maybe it would handle it just fine but I am still hesitant.
-Darby
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I assume there is considerable cost in the shaping of the Bushcraft/Proficient handle, regardless of materials? I always thought the complexity of a pivot and lock in a folder would balance out against the cost of more blade steel for a fixed blade. It doesn’t seem that’s the case.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Darby,

I never got that impression. In fact I've always respected your real world use of product. A wise mentor of mine (Dick Newick - Naval Achitect) told me that "You have to exceed the limit to find the limit.

Hi Woodpuppy,

It's always hard do predict. That's why we test and make prototypes to see what "hidden glitches" might be uncovered?

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll be honest, I'd be a lot quicker to jump on a $200 knife than a $300 knife (MAP, or street price). I understand the value even at $300, but that's just where my budget's at.

I can get an ESEE 4 + an ESSE 6 for about $225.00, which is why I've been holding off on a Wilderness Explorer.

I'd be happy with Halpern/ESEE-style flat scales if it brought costs down.

I'd also be happy to hear about a budget (Chinese) run of the Proficient. I think the Bow River is a really great offering, and I'd be happy to pay up to $100 for a Chinese-made Proficient if the steel could compete with ESEE's 1095.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 pm
I'll be honest, I'd be a lot quicker to jump on a $200 knife than a $300 knife (MAP, or street price). I understand the value even at $300, but that's just where my budget's at.

I can get an ESEE 4 + an ESSE 6 for about $225.00, which is why I've been holding off on a Wilderness Explorer.

I'd be happy with Halpern/ESEE-style flat scales if it brought costs down.

I'd also be happy to hear about a budget (Chinese) run of the Proficient. I think the Bow River is a really great offering, and I'd be happy to pay up to $100 for a Chinese-made Proficient if the steel could compete with ESEE's 1095.
Support AFK right now :D viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86862&sid=c6a33ba0e ... cc958342f9

I fully supported Cru-Wear micarta Proficient at one time. But as time comes, I realized that it will over my budget. I know, somethimes we want too much, nice steel, nice grind, nice handle, and a cheap too :D But, in the real world, there is alway price to pay. When you want premium materials and premium craftsmanship, prepare to spend a lot of money.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm here because while I can definitely beat on my CruCarta Shaman, there are times when I really need the assurance of a fixed blade. Cruwear has been an excellent steel for me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I brief moment of pain and years of satisfaction is a small price to pay. I did just that with the Bushcraft and have never regretted it.

I would like to see this as something other than another version of the proficient in micarta & cruwear. Wondering how the balance of the knife will change with a micarta (heavier) back end and keeping the FFG (lighter) front end? The Bushcraft carries a lot of heft in both the handle and the blade.

I'll go cruwear and micarta, but would like to see high flat saber grind with the blade stock thinner than the bushcraft & more than the proficient. Might even put a narrow & short swedge in it, keeping the appearance more modern than traditional.

I like leather sheaths best but feel the one that came with the Bushcraft is on the heavy/bulky side. I like the style of the one that is available for the mule; folded and sewn on one side. A knife like this I would much appreciate not loosing it out of the sheath and would gladly give up the quick draw to keep it safe and secure.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:04 am
I brief moment of pain and years of satisfaction is a small price to pay. I did just that with the Bushcraft and have never regretted it.

I like leather sheaths best but feel the one that came with the Bushcraft is on the heavy/bulky side. I like the style of the one that is available for the mule; folded and sewn on one side. A knife like this I would much appreciate not loosing it out of the sheath and would gladly give up the quick draw to keep it safe and secure.
Yea, I don't think I would regret the purchase, it's just that I'd be a little slower to pick it up.

The Province MSRPs at $400, but BHQ lists it for $280 right now. The Proficient MSRPs for $490, but BHQ lists it for $343.

I guess we'll just have to see where it lands.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 pm
Chinese made would be a hard pass for me. I’ll leave my reasons aside to keep things shiny...