Greetings from Seattle/ Thanks Y'all/ SpydieChef love!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Greetings from Seattle/ Thanks Y'all/ SpydieChef love!

Post by Enactive »

Howdy y'all!

I am a longtime lurker and first time poster. I have learned an awful lot from many of you here! I just wanted to introduce my (knife) self briefly and say thanks to everyone-- especially to Sal, Gail, Eric and the rest of the Spyderco family for the great products and ethics!

In terms of driving valuable conversation on the forums i want to particularly thank Vivi, Surfingringo, Wartstein, Deadboxhero, Sal and i am sure i am forgetting some. Thanks to the entire community!

My obsession with blades dates back to early boyhood in the late 70's early 80's and predictably a red Victorinox which i got around age 5! Over the past couple of decades i mostly used fixed blade scandi grind wood carving knives, but have always been a bit obsessed with folding knives. All of my knives get used and sharpened. I have 15 folders and plan to keep it under 20. I have in the neighborhood of 20 fixed blades, mostly for wood carving, camp chores and carpentry.

In the past several months i have really upped my sharpening skills and look forward to continuing that journey. I anticipate that i will experiment with harder steels and different sharpening media for those harder steels. I have been happy with freehand sharpening on a 1000/6000 waterstone. I have an old combo Norton Crystolon stone that i got 25 years ago and is useful for reprofiling and edge repair. I have also long been a fan of using a strop with compound to maintain and hone. The higher polished edge is useful in wood working because of all the push cutting involved.

My most used Spyderco is the Santoku, which i have also had the longest (~12 years). My favorite Spyderco is my SpydieChef (CQI), which i have carried and used quite a bit over the past 4 months. The design and function are fantastic (nice work Marcin Slysz!). Fit and finish are excellent and LC200n is just effective and cool!

I also enjoy an Efficient and Resilience and eagerly await the arrival of a Native Salt, Stretch 2 V-toku 2, and a Byrd Cara Cara 2 rescue. I mostly prefer plain edge and easy to sharpen and hone steels, but am branching out a little bit. I love the variety throughout the Spyderco/Byrd lineups of: steels, designs, handle materials, handle colors, lock types and price ranges!

Thanks again for the great community!

-JM
sal

Re: Greetings from Seattle/ Thanks Y'all/ SpydieChef love!

Post by sal »

Hi JM,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum JM!

What other Spyderco knives do you have?

My most used is probably either the Military (CPM REX 45 or CPM S110V), Pacific Salt SE, or my trusty Native 5 Maxamet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Enactive!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Thanks, Sal, Connor and Sharp Guy!