My first impressions with a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaypuck

Re: My first impressions with a Spyderco

Post by jaypuck »

I put a drop of mineral oil on it and it's already considerably smoother. I toyed with the pivot screws a little, but couldn't really tell a big difference. I'm out of solvent at the moment, so as soon as I get some more I'll take it apart and clean it really well and I think it will be fine.

This one is the linerless S30V one, does it even have washers? I know the lightweight one does not but I've not been able to find a video/thread of anyone that's taken apart this exact model.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:15 pm
I've never used heat on any screw on any knife in my life.
I tend to find Chinese made knives run towards being over tight and over thread locked. A Golden produced knife probably won't need heat, but a quality driver is a must.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

jaypuck wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:22 pm
I put a drop of mineral oil on it and it's already considerably smoother. I toyed with the pivot screws a little, but couldn't really tell a big difference. I'm out of solvent at the moment, so as soon as I get some more I'll take it apart and clean it really well and I think it will be fine.

This one is the linerless S30V one, does it even have washers? I know the lightweight one does not but I've not been able to find a video/thread of anyone that's taken apart this exact model.
I'd recommend against full disassembling unless the issue doesn't resolve after a few weeks.
-Nick

jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 pm
jaypuck wrote:

I'd recommend against full disassembling unless the issue doesn't resolve after a few weeks.
Do you mind if I ask why? I'm a tinkerer, I take apart almost everything and put it back together. I've done it since I was a kid. :D
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

jaypuck wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:37 pm
araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 pm
jaypuck wrote:

Do you mind if I ask why? I'm a tinkerer, I take apart almost everything and put it back together. I've done it since I was a kid. :D
You should be fine then. Tinker away.
Issue that have come up on the forum are mangled screws from thread locker and messing up some of the frn models that hold the screw in place with a D shaped hole. As long as you know what you are doing, you should be fine. And the newer models don’t have the red lock tight anymore.
jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

Ah, gotcha. I'm not going to say I've never stripped a screw, but I usually don't have too many problems.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Lock back knives are a bit trickier than others and I generally don't see a need for full disassembly. I have taken the pivot out and deep cleaned a couple lockbacks, but usually loosening the screw and rinsing, drying and lube is all I find necessary.
-Nick