DLC or Satin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

DLC or Satin?

I prefer DLC finished blades
18%
I prefer Satin finished blades
82%

Total votes: 78

Sharp Guy

DLC or Satin?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Considering the same knife would you prefer DLC coating on the blade or would you prefer a Satin/plain finish?

I know whether or not the blade steel is stainless probably makes a difference to a lot of people but what do you like in general?
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Re: DLC or Satin?

Post by Tucson Tom »

I prefer satin, but I am warming up to DLC more and more. DLC has impressed me and is much better than I thought it would be. I am continually doing CQI on my own attitudes and opinions. But my current thinking is that DLC will look like heck when subjected to "real use" (TM). But my DLC blades so far are looking just great, but they don't get used all that hard. Satin on the other hand is pretty hard to screw up.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Satin unless the handle is bright to contrast the dlc. Yellow, blaze orange, natural g10 etc. I’m happy either way with bright handles.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
vivi

Post by vivi »

DLC for extra corrosion resistance. I buy DLC on every folding knife I can.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I avoid coated blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

I had a DLC Manix 2, and it sliced with much greater resistance through food stuffs than all my uncoated blades. I didn't like that feeling, so I sold it. I don't want DLC, but depending on the model, I might purchase more for non-food cutting tasks. I'm willing to give it another shot.

I was curious about the PVD coating on the Rivers Edge Para 3, because PVD coatings on machine tool cutting bits is usually nice and slick. I didn't get one, so I still don't know.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 am
Satin unless the handle is bright to contrast the dlc. Yellow, blaze orange, natural g10 etc.
I agree with this. I think DLC looks better on the BHQ natural "jade" and the Cutlery Shoppe bright orange. I also like it on non stainless steels.
If it's a very tactical looking knife then DLC can add to that aesthetic.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Though I used to crave all black coated blades in PE configuration, I have really come to love stonewashed blades the most when done right. Examples of this include the Southard, Maxamet Manix and original Manix 2 (hollow ground)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I like DLC in theory, for the added corrosion resistance.. however, I'm not a fan of DLC in most color configurations, though I can't really say why.. unless it's black on black (like my one DLC Para 3), the contrast between the dark blade and lighter/brighter handle colors just doesn't do it for me.. I suppose it's just an aesthetic thing for me personally. I get why people like DLC blades, I've just always preferred satin.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like DLC for some applications but prefer satin because I often times have to regrind something so I'm not ruining the coating when I do. I do appreciate the looks of a well worn DLC blade though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s pretty simple for me. I don’t like the look of black blades. They shout “tactical” which is a macho marketing technique for most companies. I like the look and feel of I coated steels.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I voted Satin, but prefer performance over looks. I'd rather have a DLC coated low-chromium tool steel (and all the toughness and stability that comes with it) than most stainless offerings. I would not take s110v over k390 with a good DLC coating just because I'd prefer Satin in a perfect world. Knives are tools, not man jewelry.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I go back and forth, really depends on the steel and the knife.

I used to dislike coated blades, but after a summer of beating on a DLC PM2 I fell in love with the durability and even the looks. Now I'm a believer and love having so much DLC M4. Golden's DLC is top notch IMO.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to disagree. Some knives can be both tools and “man jewelry “.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer satin over coated, bead blasted, tumbled, stonewashed or any other surface treatment. I have gotten very good at restoring a satin finish. To me that makes it the best.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Given the choice, satin always.

LC200N or H1, if not natural patina, works for me in environments where monitoring for corrosion is just too necessary.

Besides, I enjoy the play of different light on shiny metal.

As to “tactical”, my brain achieves that, not my equipment.*

*At the risk of being political, hence this stealthy footnote, I’m thoroughly OK with the idea that “I am the weapon”, not my knife or gun. If we all agreed with this idea, debates about knife-length, automatic knives and assault rifles would quickly shift to matters of personal behavior, which are already powerfully subject to law.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer satin. I carry a few DLC blades because of what that knife offers (S90V yojimbo and a serrated para 1). I actually had a black pacific salt that I bead blasted to remove the coating. I definitely prefer my carbon steel blades satin or mirror polished. Makes it easier for me to verify the condition of the blade. DLC also shows scratches and I find metal rubs off on the coating because it's harder than that metal (brass, aluminum, copper, etc). 1 mistake with a sharpening stone and you can see it for the life of the blade. One thing I saw that I liked was the polished DLC offered on custom knives. If spyderco would offer that I would buy it. I like the look of some coated blades but when it comes to usage it just doesn't hold up.

If spyderco made a Kris sprint and it was DLC i would still buy one. I don't hate DLC it's just not my preference. If a knife I want is only offered in DLC I'd probably still buy it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What's interesting about the tactical aspect of it is, I've found in places where knives may be frowned upon, my old DLC Para 2 seemed to draw far less attention and got less reactions from my coworkers. I assumed it was because it simply didn't get noticed as much. My theory is that people have a mental programming to associate reflective blades with weapons. How many horror movies have you seen where the killer's blade shines in the moonlight etc? I'm sure if you whip it out and wave it around like Rambo it'll be different but in casual use the coating really seemed to subdue the presence of the blade which is ultimately the goal.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I think DLC looks great on some knives, but my overall preference is for satin.
anycal

Post by anycal »

My first two :spyder: s were the DLC S30V PM2 and DLC BD1 Manix 2 LW. I never had a knife with quality coating before, and I couldn't believe how durable the DLC was. And the murdered out look was cool. Went through a phase, I guess.

Fast forward a few years, and my only two DLC knives are the PM2 and Manix 2. Go figure :confused:

Although, the Native 5 may have to join this duo. Haven't decided yet.

Peter