S110V vs M4 for cardboard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: S110V vs M4 for cardboard

Post by Bill1170 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:22 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm
While I do use my spydies for breaking down cardboard occasionally, when I have a lot to do I just go with a razor knife. Always in the tool box in the garage, a mere blade swap away from razor sharp when it dulls.
I'm such a cheapskate I'll strop box cutters back to life on wood, lol
I have an exacto knife blade for small precision jobs that I have been using for years with the same blade. I sharpen it on 320 grit SiC paper that I glued onto a scrap of MDF. Being a cheapskate is a good thing. I may never buy another exacto blade.

And yes, a box cutter to cut up cardboard does make sense.

As for the OP's question, either would be massive overkill. I would use something like a Tenacious for a beater garage knife. What we really need in this world though is a fixed blade knife with 8Cr13MoV and a corresponding price.
Actually, Spyderco did a run of Mules in 9Cr18Mo some years back for around $20 each. I bought 4 of them. It is analogous to 440C and performs well. Sal said we don’t see more of it used because it can’t be blanked by stamping like the 8Cr steels can. I made my own handles, and keep one in my shop and another in my home office. Very versatile knife, similar to the Tenacious but a little bigger and fixed.

Still, for extended cardboard cutting a box cutter with bimetal blades is better because thin wins, and the fat handle of a good utility knife is more ergonomic than most folders are.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm
While I do use my spydies for breaking down cardboard occasionally, when I have a lot to do I just go with a razor knife. Always in the tool box in the garage, a mere blade swap away from razor sharp when it dulls.
I'm such a cheapskate I'll strop box cutters back to life on wood, lol
I have an exacto knife blade for small precision jobs that I have been using for years with the same blade. I sharpen it on 320 grit SiC paper that I glued onto a scrap of MDF. Being a cheapskate is a good thing. I may never buy another exacto blade.

And yes, a box cutter to cut up cardboard does make sense.

As for the OP's question, either would be massive overkill. I would use something like a Tenacious for a beater garage knife. What we really need in this world though is a fixed blade knife with 8Cr13MoV and a corresponding price.
If 8Cr is acceptable, why not byrd cara cara 2? Zero ground it and the add microbevel. Cliff Stamp once said 8Cr is designed for cardboard.
Chris :spyder:
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Gayle Bradley 2 no waiting. (Probably won’t stay in the garage long)

But here is a thought. Buy a Spyderco mule in a new steel and trial it for 12 months then buy another.
$70 for a mule
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Tucson Tom wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. But I can't blame someone for wanting to use a high quality knife for occasional/simple tasks. If they've got the money go for it. It's better than making it a safe queen.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I got a good deal on one of the cutlery shoppe s90v manix 2 lightweights with the orange handles. I like the bright color .. . Should be easy to find!

I'm also going to keep an eye out for the new blade hq militaries to drop. I think those are going to be too good to pass up.