Stretch3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretch3

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:03 am
Sal,

This is my official request for a bright blue Stretch 2, to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation:

https://www.jdrf.org
You have my support! ;) (though a Stretch 1 would even be better... it does not hurt to dream... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sounds like a business opportunity for you to explore Just think your countries exclusive Spyderco dealer 😜
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I already have a business that takes all my time, but if i didnt i would not be the right guy to start a knife store as i would end up with all the knives myself.
there is a wholesaler in Norway, but who he sells to is a mystery.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 am
I’d love to see the Stretch available in various bright colors like the Delica & Endura. It might increase sales, but probably would be more trouble than it's worth from Sal & Spyderco’s perspective. I think it would go over well with ladies who hunt, here in Vermont and elsewhere, though.
Since the maker in Seki (are they the same?) already has FRN in many colors, I am thinking it won’t be very difficult to use these colors for the Stretch FRN. Might help the sales.
Chris :spyder:
Tims

Post by Tims »

I love a good choil, thin blade stock too, so the only thing that has kept me from getting a stretch is the blade shape. That bloody blade. It’s just too ‘butter knife’ for me.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Endela.....Endelica.....a handle that is as tall and thick as an Endura with steel thickness of the same with a 3 1/4 to 3 3/8 inch blade....and an appropriately long handle..... would be lovely.....(also would like a delica with same dimensions)....FFG obviously.....could throw most other folders away....and no coils please....they just get caught on material.
sal

Post by sal »

Tims wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm
I love a good choil, thin blade stock too, so the only thing that has kept me from getting a stretch is the blade shape. That bloody blade. It’s just too ‘butter knife’ for me.
Too much eye, not enough brain. :p

sal
sal

Post by sal »

navin johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 pm
Endela.....Endelica.....a handle that is as tall and thick as an Endura with steel thickness of the same with a 3 1/4 to 3 3/8 inch blade....and an appropriately long handle..... would be lovely.....(also would like a delica with same dimensions)....FFG obviously.....could throw most other folders away....and no coils please....they just get caught on material.
Hi Navin,

Welcome to our forum.

The "Endela" is in-the-works.

sal
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 pm
navin johnson wrote:
Hi Navin,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Boom!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm
Tims wrote:

sal
Exactly... ;) ;)
@Tims: Just kidding of course, but do yourself a favor and give the Stretch a try! Regardless if Stretch 1 or 2, you'll get to love the blade shape. Most versatile I personally have ever experienced in a folder, ingenious design (that goes for the handle either imho).
And funny thing is: After some use I even began to really like the looks, which was not the case in the beginning.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 pm
navin johnson wrote:
Hi Navin,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Can't wait to see what it will look like... but patience is a virtue I guess... ;)
Tims

Post by Tims »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm
Tims wrote:

sal
Guilty as charged mate. 100%. :D

I tend to take a pretty pragmatic approach to most things in life, knives included. It gets to a stage though when you have multiples of the same locks, similar ergos, handle materials, cutting performance etc, that aesthetics is often the deciding factor in a purchase. That X factor that makes you want to put it in your pocket or escape with while the Mrs recounts to you her day at work.

The eyes have it!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Just ordered my Stretch2 V-Toku2 with Blue FRN Scales. This is such an easy decision.

Last night just for fun I used my Spydiechef and my Stretch2 VG 10 in the kitchen. I was able to place my index finger along the length of the spine comfortably as well as my thumb when changing grip and have supreme blade control. I found the blade shape of the Stretch2 to have far more control. Like when shaving the bad bits off of sticks of celery.

Love both knives and there is no doubt the Spydiechef shines in the Kitchen but the stretch is designed for the hand almost like gaining utilitarian claws at the end of ones own finger or thumb to work with.

The ergos are truly out of this world.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm
....the stretch is designed for the hand almost like gaining utilitarian claws at the end of ones own finger or thumb to work with.

The ergos are truly out of this world.
So true.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

My HAP40 Strecth arrived today. At first I had a moment of what??? The two are so similar then I took started really looking hard.

#1. There is less of a choil in the handle and the blade than we see on the Stretch2.

#2. THe handle is smaller I can really feel the difference in my hand. The Stretch 2 Handles for my hands is a definite example of CQI and evolution of the design for certain without a doubt. That is not to say the handle is bad just that the Stretch2 accomidates larger hands much better.

#3. The Stretch has a longer blade which I do prefer.

#4. The Stretch has a thinner blade.

#5. The stretch Blade is not as tall as the Stretch2.

#6. The Stretch Bevels are not as pronounced as on the Stretch2

#7. The drop point of the Stretch is more pointed.

#8. The stretch2 has more belly.

#9. The Gimping on the spine is sharper and more pronounced on the Stretch 2

#10 the Lock is Less visible in the Stretch from the side.

#11. The HAP40 Blended steel is beautiful where the two steels meet.

#12 I did some slicing to compare the two and both are razor sharp the only difference I could possible tell was due to thinner blade stock on the Stretch and different bevels I am guessing due to the blade stock they are not as wide.

#13. Lock up is more solid and pronounced on the Stretch2 both in the way it feels and sounds. The lock up on the Stretch is however very good and solid.

Either way VG-10 is just as good when it comes to a razor sharp edge as far as edge retention time will tell. I would have purchased a VG10 version of the stretch and am still open to doing so the HAP40 was what was available a couple of days ago. I think I did ok for only $130.00 and brand new.
Stretch.jpg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh and this one is for Sal.

Thanks for both of these designs.

You know it has been questioned what can be done to help get this fantastic family of knives in the Stretch series into more peoples hands and it occurred to me that as odd as this may sound that they way to do so is to make people feel good about purchasing and owning these Stretch knives. All I can do is give admiring testimonial.

I want you to know that I feel very good about purchasing two of these in VG10, one in ZDP189 with Earth Brown G10 Scales and now the original Stretch in Hap40. In fact I feel so good about this line up I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Stretch 2 in Blue FRN and 2 V Toku.

That will make 6 total if that is not a collection of Spyderco Stretch family of knives then at least it is a good start, and I feel very good about the price point and the use of these blades. As I mentioned before it makes me happy to cook and do all the things with a knife that make life easier having a good knife to do it with and this model is very much favored indeed!

Thanks Sal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm
My HAP40 Strecth arrived today.

I think I did ok for only $130.00 and brand new.
Stretch.jpg
Congratulation! :) Enjoy the Stretch 1! / And 130, brand new, HAP40... wish I´d find such a deal too...
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Doeswhatever,

You might try to chase down an original C03 "Hunter" model which is where the history of the model began. (circa 1983) Then there were a number of blade and handle mods to that for a while.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm
Thanx Doeswhatever,

You might try to chase down an original C03 "Hunter" model which is where the history of the model began. (circa 1983) Then there were a number of blade and handle mods to that for a while.

sal
Dear Sal,

I will do my best and report back here. I feel very strongly about your designs and respect them due to the joy they bring me. :)
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I got Endura in V-Tuko last year, I'm hoping for a stretch in a limited steel or sprint run in 2019.