What is your ideal diving knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

What is your ideal diving knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When it comes to diving knives, what materials and designs do you all like best, even if you are not a scuba diver, what do you find to meet your desires for good diving knives?

You can include both Spyderco and Non Spyderco.

I like the Spyderco Caspian Salt and Aqua Salt and also Fish Hunter and Pacific salt and Caribbean Salts.

In Non Spyderco I like the various Italian-made diving knives and also the Aitor of Spain, and all manner of divers made by companies in Taiwan and Japan. They make good ones.

For steel I like 420 HC and 440 Series and also N690.

I do not like 304. It may be rust-resistant but it is too soft.

And forget that "Surgical Steel" LOL!

For handles I like Rubber and Fiber Glass Nylon based ones. G10 can be okay I am sure.

Has anyone here had experience with the Randall Diver?
Bloke

Re: What is your ideal diving knife?

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm
I like Rubber
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

LOL Good one Bloke! :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hey SEF, what about those Japanese made H-1 fixed blades? I remember Peacent has one. They look like very well made, study knives. And H-1 steel!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm
I like Rubber
That looks like it would take a keen edge and hold it. :p
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tdog wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm
That looks like it would take a keen edge and hold it. :p
T, you couldn’t imagine the images which flood into my head reading SEF likes rubber. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:46 pm
Hey SEF, what about those Japanese made H-1 fixed blades? I remember Peacent has one. They look like very well made, study knives. And H-1 steel!

Yes, I've had the G.Sakai Sabiknife 5 for almost 3 years now,
I like it a lot, and the sheath too. Here pictured next to the Rock Salt, second from left

It's been years since I've last dived, so I use it in the kitchen :p
If I had to pick one I own, probably the Jumpmaster or the Aqua Salt would be my picks, they have better grip, I like teeth for water use and they are flatter/thinner in profile

the JM would be the one if I were on an inflatable boat or near not-to-be-punctured things :o

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There were so many great fixed blades made by Spyderco in the GOLDEN ERA of Spyders ( 1998-2004) that I still like most of them the best. With this being a thread about "Diving Knives" I just have to put my big vote for the original Spyderco "Caspian Salt" model as still being my ultimate choice if one can be found.

Also during that time period Benchmade of all companies also had a great diving knife in that same time segment. It was their first fixed blade in H-1>> and they actually used H-1 before Spyderco did. I even had one of these and so much wish that Benchmade could have made one in full SE. That Benchmade model was the model # 100S-H20 and it had a nuclear yellow handle and a very cool sheath. They only made that knife in H-1 for one year and then they made it with X-15 TN Stainless after that.

If Spyderco were to ever bring back a Sprint Run of the Caspian Salt in SE & PE both I would sell all my furniture if I had to in order to obtain one. That Caspian Salt was such a cool model I'm sort of surprised it didn't become a permanent model.