Salute to you, Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Salute to you, Sal

Post by Bodog »

I typed this in another thread but i feel like it deserves a spot of its own. I salute you, Sal. Your story and the company you've carved and the inspiration you've given to so many people inspire me.

It inspires me to believe that while none of us are perfect, we can strive to be and actually accomplish something in this world. Your tribe, whatever that may be, should hold you as an exemplar to us all. The compassion, the wisdom, the ingenuity, the dedication, the patience, the capability to produce something innovative and serve your family, your capability to produce something worth, to many people, especially your own family, passing down to future generations is truly an inspiration.

Your story, your history, your personal beliefs publicy stated and proven so many times, and your accomplishments in many areas should be a guiding light to many people in many areas, and because your biggest mark is in the knife community, you deserve, without any reservations, a seat of the highest order within the the communities to which you belong.

You're a man to be respected, Sal. You are a credit to your tribe...your ancestors, your peers, your bloodline as a whole, and your progeny, or however you wish to interpret it. I salute you. I wish more people in this world could be like you, including myself, and i hope that i can pass to my children a torch that shines as brightly as yours.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Russ

Bodog wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm
brainfriction wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:45 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

All of my designs are to hold and use. I'v added some novelty in some of my designs, like the "Q". Sometimes I'll try to add an attractive handle like on the Chaparral. But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark". That's why we have outside collaborations. Also Eric is better than I am about designing attractive models. He's just a better artist than I am.

sal
I've never really thought of anyone's designs as better than the other, but I've always noticed a distinct difference between Eric and Sal's designs. Sal's knives are definitely all about the ergos and utility, Eric incorporates a lot of the same but he's great at making stuff for the knife junkies and chronic flippers, lol, like the Domino, Mantra, PM2 etc. I guess that's what makes Spyderco knives great, Eric + Sal + lots of outside collaborators equals a ton of variety, something for everyone.

The world will be left without a stand up man and great innovator when Sal decides to finally step down for good.

Out of all the people memorialized for their innovations in the knife community, Sal should be held in the highest echelons. I say that now so that he knows people recognize him. Often kudos come too late to mean anything but to the family of the actual contributor.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Jazz

Re: Salute to you, Sal

Post by Jazz »

Very true. We are fans of yours, Sal, for good reason. :cool: :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

hear hear!

Reading Sal's wisdom has shaped my views over the years. He is an incredibly knowledgeable individual and has the willingness to share that knowledge with us.

I count myself lucky for being able to participate here.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Coming in late but can’t say it better than OP.

Sal, this forum needs a thumbup emoji. Till then, this will do. 👍🏼
Chris :spyder: