Proposal: A Contoured Scale Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Re: Proposal: A Contoured Scale Series

Post by Mako109 »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 am
Those scales are made by Aramis from ebay right? Curious how you like the fit and finish? Clearly they must be nice if you have multiple sets. The only think I don't like about them is that the added thickness kinda messes with the fitment/appearance of the lanyard tube.

I am between these and the Allen Putnam G10/micarta grips, but the Aramis look quite a bit more contoured which is nice.
Yes those are Aramis scales. The man's got his quality control zeroed in; fit and finish is perfection from one sample to the next. Plus he has a great eye for aesthetics. My PM2s are now more comfortable than some of my $500+ knives. The blue and silver colored hardware are custom titanium from another maker in Australia, including the thicker lanyard tubes. The black hardware is all Spyderco stock. A custom DLC coated titanium lanyard tube is being made for me but it's about two months out (along with other parts).
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

Yes those are Aramis scales. The man's got his quality control zeroed in; fit and finish is perfection from one sample to the next. Plus he has a great eye for aesthetics. My PM2s are now more comfortable than some of my $500+ knives. The blue and silver colored hardware are custom titanium from another maker in Australia, including the thicker lanyard tubes. The black hardware is all Spyderco stock. A custom DLC coated titanium lanyard tube is being made for me but it's about two months out (along with other parts).
Anyone know if he can do these scales for left hand carry? I absolutely love the design, but that's a hard requirement for me.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

elduderino04 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm
Anyone know if he can do these scales for left hand carry? I absolutely love the design, but that's a hard requirement for me.
Yes, just send him a message. He’s very responsive, just keep in mind the time zone difference. He’s also right in the middle of moving and expanding his business to a new city, so he’s busy setting up.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I still want coke-bottle contouring :D
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 pm
elduderino04 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm
Yes, just send him a message. He’s very responsive, just keep in mind the time zone difference. He’s also right in the middle of moving and expanding his business to a new city, so he’s busy setting up.
Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll do that.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love my Shaman, but I must say that it opened my eyes to the control that the Manix2, for example, gives against roll. Another one of those subtle Glesser things that gets masked in the overall design.

Still, I’d watch the proposed series with real interest.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jmolzan

Post by jmolzan »

Suingab scales.
Attachments
45430EAD-059E-448E-8081-CABDD01D5DA8.jpeg
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I bet that feels good in the hand!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 am
Exactly my point. The Shaman is a great example of a contoured design,
Yes !
tvenuto wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 am
but you need to also want a relatively large folder.
Yes !!!
bearfacedkiller wrote: It is too bad that people seem to care more about how a knife feels in the pocket than they do how it feels in the hand.
You certainly hit the nail on the head there. The feel of the Shaman in my pocket is comforting and that beefy blade
is even more comforting. The contoured handle ain't bad either.

The fluted Native 5 certainly tempts me, but I am making a big purchase in another part of my life and that will just
have to wait.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm the opposite here. I'd like to see a run of Shamans with flat slab peel ply G10 scales!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 am
If you like contoured scales and dont have the fluted cf native 5 yet.... you should get one :D
Mine arrived just today. The contouring is subtle—unlike the Shaman—but just enough to make it feel better in my hand than my S35VN and S110V Native5s, and it’s lighter, too, for lack of liners. I’m impressed.

Not sure if a series of contoured scales appeals to me, yet. I was first attracted to Spyderco because of its flat and slightly chamfered minimalistic scales. That attraction hasn’t waned. But I do have this new Native5, a Shaman, and a Kapara, so something’s happening.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 am
If you like contoured scales and dont have the fluted cf native 5 yet.... you should get one :D
Mine arrived just today. The contouring is subtle—unlike the Shaman—but just enough to make it feel better in my hand than my S35VN and S110V Native5s, and it’s lighter, too, for lack of liners. I’m impressed.
Such a cool knife :D I hope it stays in the regular line. Best knife they make IMHO. And I know we've got super duper fancy steels in the line up, but S90V is really nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal