Is the CBBL dead???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Is the CBBL dead???

Post by Bolster »

Do like CBBL.

Screw-construction FRN Caly 3.5 with CBBL?
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would buy a CBBL Shaman.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JMM

Post by JMM »

vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:32 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:42 pm
if you guys keep saying “mini manix” you’re going to trigger vivi.
There already is a mini manix. That's what the Manix 2 is :p

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mini+manix

What you guys want for some silly reason is a mini mini manix.

Maybe Sal can come up with a better name :D

micro manix
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Micro Manix? Nano Manix? Besides a Hawkbill what about a Sheepsfoot or Wharncliffe CBBL? A LW model with screw together construction would be welcome. The Sheepsfoot in LC 200 N as a Salt model would be awesome. I would be happy to pay extra for corrosion resistant hardware in that configuration. One handed operation and corrosion resistance with a good working blade shape in FFG or a high hollow (and H 1 maybe) seems like a natural for Spyderco.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

kobold wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:46 pm
I would too. I'm curious if the CBBL would fit into the current shape of the Shaman?

I've come to appreciate the CBBL and BBL more than comp locks and almost as much as the mid and back lock.

I have also previously suggested a CBBL Sage, which i still think would be cool.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 am
kobold wrote:
I would too. I'm curious if the CBBL would fit into the current shape of the Shaman?

I've come to appreciate the CBBL and BBL more than comp locks and almost as much as the mid and back lock.

I have also previously suggested a CBBL Sage, which i still think would be cool.
I'll 3rd the CBBL Shaman! I just handled one for the first time on Saturday and I really enjoyed the ergonomics of it and the stone washed blade! I didn't end up buying it because of the combination of the compression lock, the smooth G10 and my left handedness. I use my left pointer finger and thumb to pinch the compression lock but I'm really not fond of only having a 2 finger grip on a sharp knife with a free swinging blade.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

I also like that they're completely ambidextrous, but if I need to I can operate frame locks lefty.
True dat. I'm left handed, so naturally all my knives are oriented accordingly. But occasionally I'll need to use the knife in the right hand, and I want it to function equally well, with no fuss.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 am
The Manixes i have had/handled has all been too stiff to open to be considered ok, much less fun.
As far as i am concerned they could replace it with AXIS or bolt lock any day.
I agree. Every Spyderco CBBL or backlock that I've owned has had what I consider excessively strong springs. With the exception of only one knife, I've modified them all. That one knife is riveted together, and the effort/benefit ratio is pretty high.
kobold

Post by kobold »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:53 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 am
The Manixes i have had/handled has all been too stiff to open to be considered ok, much less fun.
As far as i am concerned they could replace it with AXIS or bolt lock any day.
I agree. Every Spyderco CBBL or backlock that I've owned has had what I consider excessively strong springs. With the exception of only one knife, I've modified them all. That one knife is riveted together, and the effort/benefit ratio is pretty high.

Same experience, same solution, same reason for not buying a pinned one.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kobold wrote:
Im not sure if that would work due to the thickness of the scales. I suppose they could slightly alter the design.
"Some call me...Tim?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The rex45 burnt orange and m390 brown g10 manix2 models are very easy to unlock compared to older models I've owned in the past. I wonder if there is some cqi? I really hope to see a completely new model use the cbbl.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally don't understand why among the Spyderco inveted locks the comp.lock gets used so much more than the CBBL.
For me the latter has only advantages, except perhaps that choil-less folders are more tricky to design with the CBBL.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 am
kobold wrote:

And I would too also ;)

Actually the comp.lock is what mostly keeps me from getting Shaman or Caribbean (the latter could not have a CBBL in the current form though I figure).

A CBBL would really suit this more outdoorsy, "hard" use folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

kobold wrote:
Yes to this! Was thinking the same thing. An instant purchase for me.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Any interest in a CBBL Chief or 3.5" version of the Chief?
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

The cbbl is a great lock. I would love to see a new knife with the cbbl
Just one more knife...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:18 am
The rex45 burnt orange and m390 brown g10 manix2 models are very easy to unlock compared to older models I've owned in the past. I wonder if there is some cqi?
My experience with the REX45 was the exact opposite. Contant Quality Impairment? The cage would not retract sufficiently to allow free movement of the blade. The interference was miniscule, so the blade could be pushed closed, or it could be swung closed with gusto, but it would not close freely. I paid to send it back to Golden. Customer Service told me that was the way the knife is supposed to function. I really wanted that sprint knife and was afraid I couldn't get another, so I capitulated. So while there might be CQI, sometimes a pile of parts goes together better than average, sometimes they don't.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm

So while there might be CQI, sometimes a pile of parts goes together better than average, sometimes they don't.
Very true
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

I just want some Spyderco OEM camo G10 scales in the digi pattern that comes on the PM2s and Para 3s.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:41 am
I personally don't understand why among the Spyderco inveted locks the comp.lock gets used so much more than the CBBL.
For me the latter has only advantages, except perhaps that choil-less folders are more tricky to design with the CBBL.
Like a liner lock, the compression lock allows a “flow-through” build that is super easy to clean in the field. The compression lock also benefits from the elegance of very few moving parts. And, as you mentioned, choil-less designs work more easily with the compression lock (Caribbean) and the liner lock (Tenacious family) than does the CBBL.