Pm2 in m4 vs s30v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kingston73

Pm2 in m4 vs s30v

Post by kingston73 »

I’m thinking of selling one of my pm2s and don’t know which to keep. I have a dlc s30v that is maybe the smoothest knife I’ve ever owned, it feels like it’s a ball bearing knife it’s so smooth. I also have a knife works m4 with the carbon fiber scales that is not nearly as smooth but not terrible. Both have been carried as edc, no seriously heavy use, just daily day to day tasks, cutting boxes occasionally, etc.
I know m4 is technically a better steel than s30 but in day to day use I haven’t noticed much difference.

If you had to get rid of one which would it be and why?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Pm2 in m4 vs s30v

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Technically better? That implies you favor wear resistance? If corrosion resistance is important to you then S30V could easily be the better steel. If in day to day use you cannot really tell much of a difference then the more stainless one might makes more sense. Or maybe just pick the one you like better because of aesthetics or because of fit and finish.

Honestly, no wrong answer here. S30V is good stuff and so is M4. Not better, just different.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Tough call. Sounds like you really enjoy the s30v as whole package though. So just based on that, I would dump your m4 that you’re just ok with, but keep the s30v because you really like it.

Or scale swap to a black dlc s30v CF and sell the m4 g10
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Keep 'em both. You can never have too many PM2s ;)

Actually I'd probably sell the M4 since it will net a little more $$ but that's just my 2 cents.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

M4 is my favorite steel in a folding knife. My environment and my typical use aren't a detriment to carbon steel, my M4 takes a long time to patina.

If a person gets along without corrosion resistance and has the tools to sharpen M4 then that is the one to keep.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Sounds like your more into the flipping action and light use, I'd keep the S30V. I'm guessing you could get a good chunk of your money back from the KW M4 as a lot of diehards prefer that steel...paired with carbon fiber, if in nearly flawless condition I'd think you'd get a good deal that's fair to you and the buyer.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

For myself I'd keep the m4, because with my use there is a fair amount of difference, and I don't care really about smooth action.
But based on what you wrote, no difference in blade steel, smoother action, etc, I'd keep the s30v version. You'll get more $$ for the cf m4 version and keep the one you like the best... win.