CPM REX 45 | Edge Performance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: CPM REX 45 | Edge Performance

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thank you for the appreciation, there have been times when I question why I share but I'm grateful for the appreciation.
Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:01 am
Thanks Shawn and Cl1ff! It is anecdotes like these that make this group so rewarding!
Shawn, I love that you put your own money and passion into a gift for science that also benefitted an unwitting study participant!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Yeah the resistance to deformation from the increased strength came in handy here I feel.
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:50 pm
If nothing else it appears REX45 doesn’t require any sort of special treatment whatsoever!!! I don’t think M4 would have fared as well, much as I love it.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I have no idea I could only speculate, send one over and wait 2 years later and we'll see.
R100 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:23 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:53 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:43 am
LUV real world test stuff.
It is pretty cool, the problem is it's difficult to compare apples to apples without more control seems there could be kind of a paradox in the knife community where controlled testing is not good enough and real world testing is not usable. Yikes.

Of Course realistically they're supposed to go hand in hand.

The problem is it took two years to get this anecdotal real world account.

Given how many steels there are in existence, none of us would live long enough to see testing like this on every steel.
Great report Shawn! Do you have any idea how an S90V Military may have held up in that situation? Higher edge retention than REX45 but maybe it would be brought undone by lower edge stability due to larger carbides?

Dan
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you all are starting to make me want to try one of these entropy-affirming steels.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:39 am
Thank you for the appreciation, there have been times when I question why I share but I'm grateful for the appreciation.
Cycletroll wrote:
Thanks Shawn and Cl1ff! It is anecdotes like these that make this group so rewarding!
Shawn, I love that you put your own money and passion into a gift for science that also benefitted an unwitting study participant!
“Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:39 am
Cycletroll wrote:
Your insight is always appreciated and respected.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Do you know what he normally cuts on a regular basis? Curious if he'd enjoy Maxamet, he doesn't seem to be abusive to the edge. (No giant chips or big piece of missing tip)

Got a Maxamet Para 3 second to test out for myself for regular "heavy" use (cutting dirty rope, cardboard, etc)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:35 am
Do you know what he normally cuts on a regular basis? Curious if he'd enjoy Maxamet, he doesn't seem to be abusive to the edge. (No giant chips or big piece of missing tip)

Got a Maxamet Para 3 second to test out for myself for regular "heavy" use (cutting dirty rope, cardboard, etc)
I did cut dirty rope, cardboard and even thin plastic buckets with my Maxamet 5 with no problem. But the pressure on the edge must be vertical, if there is any torsion that can lead very fast to chipping. I've had only minor chipping on the Maxamet N5s and Para 3 for now. And the Para 3 has been on cardboard duty for more than a year without really losing much edge (there's micro chipping due to how this steel "dulls", but it still cuts very agressively).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:35 am

That's always the problem with testing like this you would need controlled testing to really get a great account of everything that's being cut. Nobody ever commits to memory everything that they cut with their knife. He just cuts everything he needs to cut, we could see by how worn out the G10 is and the patina around the thumb hole that it's getting a lot of use.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Thanks for sharing these tests, it's always interesting to see what others put their knives through.

Just sharpened my Rex 45 N5 for the first time last night. I'm liking the steel so far in my limited use.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Thanks for sharing these tests, it's always interesting to see what others put their knives through.

Just sharpened my Rex 45 N5 for the first time last night. I'm liking the steel so far in my limited use.
Nice, what stones, grits, angles, system/no system, how did it burr/deburr and apex?
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:46 pm

Nice, what stones, grits, angles, system/no system, how did it burr/deburr and apex?
I use an Edge pro with CGS 40, 20, and 10 micron stones. Then I strop on balsa with 5 micron diamond paste. I stuck with the factory angles not sure what they were. Deburring was no problem. It's not hair whittling but sharp enough for my uses.

I honestly need to upgrade my stropping setup. The paste I use is crap from eBay and don't really feel like going through the process with lower grits as I don't get the results I'm after. I've been looking at different sprays to use on leather just can't decide on which.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:46 pm

I use an Edge pro with CGS 40, 20, and 10 micron stones. Then I strop on balsa with 5 micron diamond paste. I stuck with the factory angles not sure what they were. Deburring was no problem. It's not hair whittling but sharp enough for my uses.

I honestly need to upgrade my stropping setup. The paste I use is crap from eBay and don't really feel like going through the process with lower grits as I don't get the results I'm after. I've been looking at different sprays to use on leather just can't decide on which.
Try the Gunny juice 1um. Just do the 1um, keep it simple.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Just to be clear, you're recommending 1 Micron right?