Something I do not understand about the Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Something I do not understand about the Chaparral

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:41 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:07 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:17 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:01 pm
What constitutes “time” is the rub. I doubt if a human could stress that spring (really a thick steel bar) enough in a lifetime to wear it out, or in.
It's called metal fatigue, Mike.

Repetitive bending force on a piece of metal causes it to weaken over time, due to the development of micro cracks.

You would probably never be able to actually fatigue it enough, under normal use, for it to actually seperate. But it will, most certainly, become weaker and easier to flex over time.

It has nothing to do with the lockbar rubbing on the spring. That's a different kind of wear.

I just do know for sure that the backlock on my particular Chap got significantly easier to operate over the course of time (though I personally did not mind it having a rather hard to press lockbar in the beginning)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have had the Chaparrals apart to fix the tension issue and that so called spring may “weaken” if flexed enough over time but the amount of flex is very small and that steel piece is very thick and strong. So yes, I do understand metal fatigue but the amount over time (rate) is what’s in question here. I think most chaparral owners experiencing the thin stiff lock bar will get rid of it long before it “breaks in”. Which it probably won’t anyway.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 pm
I have had the Chaparrals apart to fix the tension issue and that so called spring may “weaken” if flexed enough over time but the amount of flex is very small and that steel piece is very thick and strong. So yes, I do understand metal fatigue but the amount over time (rate) is what’s in question here. I think most chaparral owners experiencing the thin stiff lock bar will get rid of it long before it “breaks in”. Which it probably won’t anyway.
Any stressor, no matter how slight, fatigues the metal to some degree.

What the EXACT rate is, I couldn't say. But, I can say with absolute certainty that lockbar spring(nothing "so called" about it) will weaken over time.

The spring will very quickly develop these micro cracks, which will reduce the force required to flex it. After that initial fatigue, the rate at which it fatigues will dramatically decrease because the amount of stress that was initially reached, cannot be exceeded.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:

Michael, with all due respect: As I explained above, it DID break in in my case without any doubt.
If this was because of "weakening" of the "spring" though or due to some other parts getting smoother is something I don´t know of course!
And I have to say: I played around with my Chap (opened and closed it) a lot, that sure helped to speed up the process.

Btw: I did not mind the thin and in the beginning stiff lock bar anyway... ;), but I encourage everyone who likes the Chap generally not to pass on it due to the stiff lock! Do the "mod" or let it break in, it´s worth it!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:56 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

Michael, with all due respect: As I explained above, it DID break in in my case without any doubt.
If this was because of "weakening" of the "spring" though or due to some other parts getting smoother is something I don´t know of course!
And I have to say: I played around with my Chap (opened and closed it) a lot, that sure helped to speed up the process.

Btw: I did not mind the thin and in the beginning stiff lock bar anyway... ;), but I encourage everyone who likes the Chap generally not to pass on it due to the stiff lock! Do the "mod" or let it break in, it´s worth it!

I went ahead and did the "mod" just a tiny bit on my FRN Chaparral and it gave me exactly what I wanted. That aside, I really think the knife is absolutely amazing. Fingers crossed for both the FRN Chaparral & the Sage5 LW to get some new FRN colour & new steel makeover.... ;) :D

Cheers,

John
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:56 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

I went ahead and did the "mod" just a tiny bit on my FRN Chaparral and it gave me exactly what I wanted. That aside, I really think the knife is absolutely amazing. Fingers crossed for both the FRN Chaparral & the Sage5 LW to get some new FRN colour & new steel makeover.... ;) :D

Cheers,

John
It certainly IS amazing indeed!
Also fingers crossed that the sun and moon variant will be released finally and soon... :rolleyes:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We need some earth tone color options for the LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:22 pm
I agree, I would love to see a Khaki FRN version. It would carry well with a pair of slacks.
-Nick :bug-red
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Doc Dan wrote:
This ^
Justin :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:

I am certainly not opposed to that... ;)
... especially if they do it in Micarta... :D
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:45 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I am certainly not opposed to that... ;)
... especially if they do it in Micarta... :D
YES PLEASE! A pretty Chap in ivory Micarta would be a must-have for me... but really, almost any color Micarta would do...
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )