Seki Japan Made Wish List?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Seki Japan Made Wish List?

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:35 pm
Adding a Cruwear Micarta (Delica/Dragonfly/Endura/Jester) series to my Seki wish list. If they can make a series like this in Pakkawood, then hopefully Micarta is on the table soon. And with Cruwear now available as an option in Seki... :D This would be an awesome series for a dealer or distributor to start!
This would be awesome. I don't have any folders with micarta scales yet, but I'd love to, especially in a df/delica/endela.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

A CPM Cru-Wear Endura (FFG) with stainless liners and Micarta scales, yes!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm
You sir are speaking my language.

Calm down wallet!!! *cracks whip* DOWN BOY!

:)
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Exactly lol! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Exactly lol! :D

Yeah, I think it is safe to say a series of Cruwear bladed matte canvas Micarta scaled Seki knives with liners like the G10 and Pakkawood models would be an instant sellout at every dealer. I'd have to buy them all.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the problem i keep having and keeping me from a g10 dragonfly is price. we all can agree s30v is better that vg10, a lil native in s30v is 120$ the DF2 in vg10 is 110$. either the DF2 needs a major price drop like down to 80$ while the price of frn DF2 is 60$ or the steel needs to upgrade for the big price difference.

i do like the idea of cruwear DF with Micarta scales at a reasonable 120 -130$. AND A JESTER TOO. sweet.

i honestly would love for spydreco to re-evaluate their steels and materials based off prices and fix them so they are atleast close to the value.
another odd ball is the techno, at 200$ and only xhp steel with titanium scales is way off. same for the brouwer with s30v at 175$, way off. neither of these 2 blades should be over 140$
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 am
i honestly would love for spydreco to re-evaluate their steels and materials based off prices and fix them so they are atleast close to the value.
Isn't this somewhat dependent on the factory? If the factory is going to charge $X and Spyderco has to add on $Y to make their margins, isn't this kinda out of their hands? Spyderco can threaten/leave the factory (which I believe is the same one that started it all when Spyderco began selling knives). This doesn't seem like something Spyderco would do (I have no inside information on the management team, their values, etc. I have only gleaned small bits of information here and there on the forum). Spyderco could reduce their profits on the Seki knives, but why would I want to see my favorite knife company make less money? That doesn't bode well for their long-term outlook. I'm not advocating for higher prices (who wants to pay more), but I'd hate to see Spyderco chase sales numbers by routinely lowering prices. There would be a real risk of diminished fit and finish, poor QA, lesser materials, worse benefits for employees, etc. It may well be that Spyderco evolves into a production knife company with premium prices across the board. If you want a more affordable knife, then you'll have to get a Byrd. I'm not smart enough to come up with a plausible course of action that finds some middle ground that acceptable to all, but I do have concerns if Spyderco makes drastic changes to compete solely on price.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 am
the problem i keep having and keeping me from a g10 dragonfly is price. we all can agree s30v is better that vg10, a lil native in s30v is 120$ the DF2 in vg10 is 110$. either the DF2 needs a major price drop like down to 80$ while the price of frn DF2 is 60$ or the steel needs to upgrade for the big price difference.

i do like the idea of cruwear DF with Micarta scales at a reasonable 120 -130$. AND A JESTER TOO. sweet.

another odd ball is the techno, at 200$ and only xhp steel with titanium scales is way off. same for the brouwer with s30v at 175$, way off. neither of these 2 blades should be over 140$
Not to be contrarian, but I prefer VG10 to S30V. It gives up a little edge retention but it has a much more enjoyable sharpening response for me.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The current g10 DF isn’t something I’d be interested in, at any price. I like nested liners, not sandwich style g10 slabs on steel slabs. The nested construction is so much more aesthetically pleasing to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I'd like to see every Seki knife coming in VG 10 and HAP 40 in regular production

I do have Endura and Stretch in both of these steels and will/would the Endela if there'll be a HAP40 version.

I second Vivis post above that VG10 is so amazingly fun and easy to touch up, even for a non- master-sharpener like me.

HAP 40 on the other hand has great edge retention in my use, but still is not too hard to sharpen.

ZDP 189, the regular production high end steel of the SEKI knives, is TOO hard to sharpen for me... sold my ZDP Endura for that reason, the HAP 40 was just better suited for me (ok, maybe I just should have gotten diamond rods for the Sharpmaker ?! )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 pm
I'd like to see every Seki knife coming in VG 10 and HAP 40 in regular production

I do have Endura and Stretch in both of these steels and will/would the Endela if there'll be a HAP40 version.

I second Vivis post above that VG10 is so amazingly fun and easy to touch up, even for a non- master-sharpener like me.

HAP 40 on the other hand has great edge retention in my use, but still is not too hard to sharpen.

ZDP 189, the regular production high end steel of the SEKI knives, is TOO hard to sharpen for me... sold my ZDP Endura for that reason, the HAP 40 was just better suited for me (ok, maybe I just should have gotten diamond rods for the Sharpmaker ?! )

Meh, I can't stand Hap40 or any other laminated steel. Now that they can handle Cruwear, I say just ship a container full of the stuff over there and use that as a standard production steel, and offer them all with TiCN coated variations as well. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:18 pm

3. Calypso lightweight with screw construction.

7. Police 4 lightweight Salt, PE LC200N & SE H1.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
RussC

Post by RussC »

Dragonfly Salt Wharncliffe please😎