MAP illegal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: MAP illegal?

Post by 500Nitro »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:23 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:14 pm
Except Amazon does sell for under MAP. A quick search and I found the Vallotton, Lil' Subhilt and Sliverax listed below MAP. I'm sure there are many more.
They are the largest retailer on the planet. They call the shots.
They think they call the shots.
They aren't the ONLY retailer on the planet and they certainly aren't the best in a whole range of criteria.
Yes they are big but plenty survive without them and everything they sell you can get elsewhere.

FYI, they totally cocked up their grand entrance into the Aussie market.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:14 pm
Except Amazon does sell for under MAP. A quick search and I found the Vallotton, Lil' Subhilt and Sliverax listed below MAP. I'm sure there are many more.
Are they being sold through amazon by resellers or by amazon itself? And if third party sellers, are those third party sellers authorized dealers?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Through Amazon directly.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:04 pm
Through Amazon directly.
Then it seems that spyderco should have a problem with that as much as they'd have a problem with any other dealer doing it
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

In a business manufacturing products and selling them worldwide, there are many facets of the whole that must be balanced to survive. Those of you that are in some type of business have a better understanding. Also, these situations are chronic and will change from day to day, and year to year. A material changes, a new law is created, a tariff is required, etc.

First of all, We are being more reactive than proactive.

We were asked by our dealers, more internet than B&M to try to deal with the really low priced companies like Amazon and Wal-Mart. MAP was a partial way of serving that problem. We have shut Amazon down in the past for issues that we couldn't resolve. And then they were resolved and we resumed. Does it hurt us, of course, but remember the balance.......the fragile balance.

MAP is not illegal or we wouldn't be doing it. Many dealers find ways around it. We don't fix pricing, we fix advertising. Most are not complaining because it helps with the balance of their business. Special offers, coupons, exclusive, clubs, etc. are all ways to better serve their good customers.

I'm sorry for your situation and I feel for you. There are many products beyond my station that I would like. I would suggest that you become friends with a dealer and "negotiate" a regular deal.

There are always serious problems for us to solve. A new Canadian law, an abundance of Chinese counterfeits, the need for specialized crew, many that you would not even be aware of. We would hope that you trust that we always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. To serve all in our business chain as effectively as we can. Above all else, we try to be fair. We're not greedy, we don't hype or lie, we consistently deliver reliable high performance products and try very hard to please our customers, (ELU's), dealers, distributors, vendors, advertisers, lawyers, shipping companies, collaborators, employees.....I think you get the message.

sal
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 pm
In a business manufacturing products and selling them worldwide, there are many facets of the whole that must be balanced to survive. Those of you that are in some type of business have a better understanding. Also, these situations are chronic and will change from day to day, and year to year. A material changes, a new law is created, a tariff is required, etc.

First of all, We are being more reactive than proactive.

We were asked by our dealers, more internet than B&M to try to deal with the really low priced companies like Amazon and Wal-Mart. MAP was a partial way of serving that problem. We have shut Amazon down in the past for issues that we couldn't resolve. And then they were resolved and we resumed. Does it hurt us, of course, but remember the balance.......the fragile balance.

MAP is not illegal or we wouldn't be doing it. Many dealers find ways around it. We don't fix pricing, we fix advertising. Most are not complaining because it helps with the balance of their business. Special offers, coupons, exclusive, clubs, etc. are all ways to better serve their good customers.

I'm sorry for your situation and I feel for you. There are many products beyond my station that I would like. I would suggest that you become friends with a dealer and "negotiate" a regular deal.

There are always serious problems for us to solve. A new Canadian law, an abundance of Chinese counterfeits, the need for specialized crew, many that you would not even be aware of. We would hope that you trust that we always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. To serve all in our business chain as effectively as we can. Above all else, we try to be fair. We're not greedy, we don't hype or lie, we consistently deliver reliable high performance products and try very hard to please our customers, (ELU's), dealers, distributors, vendors, advertisers, lawyers, shipping companies, collaborators, employees.....I think you get the message.

sal
Thank you, Sal.

(Added emphasis is mine.)

And that oughta be...

/thread
markg

Post by markg »

If you follow or buy other brands you will know that Spyderco is pretty much one of the last companies to move to MAP. I remember the days when you could buy knives on eBay for pennies above wholesale. I admit, it was fun. Some guy would open a wholesale account and sell out of his basement, simply to get a wholesale account and buy their own knives, or just to make a small side income. This is bad for B&M dealers and even internet dealers. It was an adjust me for me personally when many of these companies changed to combat this. Some went dealer direct or went to MAP or both. I went from buying 10 knives a month to 10 a year. It was an adjustment but I lived... I mean it is a hobby, it is not gas or food. I will live and frankly I am better for it.

Another thing to consider is that Spyderco has always been a company that loves to explore the newest and best materials (steel for example). Which is great and we all love that. One downside to that is the collectors and users have come to expect this. However the latest and greatest comes with a price, literally. This stuff is not cheap. Some years ago, my son was playing around with making knives and swords. For fun I looked up the cost of some of these steels and handle materials and was shocked at the prices. These companies are not making huge profits on this stuff. Yea, Spyderco could make knives that retail at $139... But it would be 154CM and plain old G-10, and everyone would say "Gee, I would love the knife if it was made with super steel X..." Our desire for the newest and latest comes at a price. I have watched the prices of knives climb over the last few years. I would bet dollars to donuts that Syderco's profit margins have not changed, it is market expectations and desires that have driven that price increase. Remember that MAP does not benefit the manufacturer (aside from brand management) as much as it benefits the reseller.

When your favorite manufacturer goes to MAP, it is an adjustment. You make it, and you move on and in time you forget about it.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

When you can buy goods pennies above wholesale, companies stop stocking your goods because nothing in it for them. Plenty of products around that they can stock.

(The other issue I see is those who focus on revenue, not profit.)
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Where are the dog pictures?

Post by 017 »