Had you bought it first...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Had you bought it first...

Post by wrdwrght »

Had you bought it first, what Spydie in your collection do you imagine would have lessened your urge to acquire others, simply because this knife now checks all the boxes your collecting has shown are important to you?

For me, it’s the Delica4.

Eight years as a Spyderco fanboi, I got my first Delica just a few weeks ago.

I could go on about what an evolved knife this Delica is, and perhaps I will if others play this mind-game.

Just to be clear, I’m not asking what your favorite knife is, I’m asking what your unique collection has taught you to prize most in a single knife.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Re: Had you bought it first...

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Fluted CF native S90V
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil native comp lock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dragonfly
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not sure I'd be on this forum every day if I already found it :p
Nate

Post by Nate »

My first three Spydies were Persistence, Chap cf, and a stain/camo PM2.

I let the Persistence go, but today the Chaparral lw and Lefty PM2 are among my most carried, so I'm not sure I could have changed much that would have done me any good. The search and accumulation goes on anyway. :)
:spyder:
anycal

Post by anycal »

My first :spyder:, still my favorite and most used, hasn't changed a thing. I have been through some dozen different models since. Nothing has displaced it.

I am perfectly happy with most choices I made since the first one. Like them, use them. But nothing has bumped my favorite from the top spot.
Peter
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The :spyder: that, had I bought it first, would've lessen the likelihood of me acquiring other Spyderco knives...? Actually, that happened...

My very first :spyder: was the smallest version of the Spyderco Jess Horn (Baby Jess Horn?) that I purchased years ago. The blade tip was so exposed when closed into the handle that it would really give my fingertip a really bad slice whenever I reached into my pocket to retrieve it... never carried that knife again and got rid of it shortly thereafter. It wouldn't be until several years later when I came upon the Spyderco Endura SE with the integral clip that I really started appreciating Spyderco knives... this particular Endura had its tip nicely nestled inside the handle and out of the way of my fingertips when closed and was a pleasure to use. Since then I've been more than happy to aquire Spyderco knives.
Last edited by Water Bug on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 LW (Maxamet)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

“…what Spydie in your collection do you imagine would have lessened your urge to acquire others,…"

Most likely the Dragonfly and the One-Eyed Jack. The Dragonfly is about perfect for an extremely light weight knife and the One-Eyed Jack satisfies all of my requirements for a larger, quality medium size carry knife. Plus, it is just beautiful and the ergonomics seem to improve with my experience of it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely my PM2, especially if I had encountered it early.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like variety, so there isn't really one model that would've slowed my buying.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me this wouldn't have worked unless maybe the Sliverax were available from the start. The reason is because it has taken all these purchases to really feel out what I like and what works best for me. My favorite models outside the Sliverax are the Manix 2 and Military, and both of those models I really did not like at all when I first came across them and I slowly came around to loving them. I guess maybe if I came across a Military from the start and had no choice but to use it I may have come to the same conclusion.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

There are two spydercos that jump out at me as fitting the bill.
FRN chapparal and the dragonfly.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Actually that's the reason I bought the PM2. I was looking for a lock that was comparable (in action) to the Axis lock. I briefly considered the Manix 2 but was more drawn to the compression lock. I am not a huge fan of liner/frame locks and really don't like back locks at all. So I decided to get what some considered to be the "best" all around Spyderco and I think they're right. However, I also bought (at the same time) a Para 3 and I actually like it better and is carried more than the 2. I don't have a burning desire to buy any more. Except, I did buy the Positron and even though it is a nice knife, I still prefer my PM2 and Para 3 more.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:28 pm
For me this wouldn't have worked unless maybe the Sliverax were available from the start. The reason is because it has taken all these purchases to really feel out what I like and what works best for me
You’ve rephrased exactly what this thread was meant to highlight. It’s the ruminating on one’s own collection that renders the epiphany somewhere along the way. “Wow, if I’d only known, I would not have gotten those”.

Except, of course, that’s no fun.

So, while I now think the Delica4 is the distillation of everything a folder should be, I would not think to unload all the other Spydies that have led me to this conclusion. I like them all too much for one reason or other.

Weird how that works.

Coincidentally, you and I exchanged some thoughts on the Millie’s tiny, but effective choil. That got me to shed my devotion to choils, per se. The Delica4 has just enough of an indent to safeguard my index finger.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Coincidentally, you and I exchanged some thoughts on the Millie’s tiny, but effective choil. That got me to shed my devotion to choils, per se. The Delica4 has just enough of an indent to safeguard my index finger.

I'm really interested in the Caribbean...no choil but your finger is closer to the edge than most other designs, it practically eliminates the need for one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Native 5, I swore by the PM2 until I bought an S110V Forum Native. It's like it was tailor made for me.

I buy knives still, but the N5 is my glove. I have 2 identical N5s and if the deal popped up again, I would buy a third. My grandkids will be using them. I want to get the Ti one, but I dont think I would use it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I honestly can’t answer this question. I like variety in my life!
Josh
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For me, had I held a Caly 3.5 before discovering any other Spydercos, it's (slightly) less likely I would have amassed the collection I have. That knife (and subsequently the Caly family as a whole) hit all the checkboxes for my needs as a knife lover, collector, user and AFI.

That being said, I wouldn't give up my Dragonflys, Delicas, Manixes or Millies at this point. Knowing what I have learned now after years of knife infatuation, my most enjoyable revelation is that I like variety and trying new things almost as much as my favorites.... almost.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*