Spyderco Dealer Locator

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Spyderco Dealer Locator

Post by RamZar »

The Spyderco Dealer Locator on the Spyderco website is out of order. When will it be fixed?

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco Dealer Locator

Post by curlyhairedboy »

From the last time this was mentioned, I believe it's pretty low on the priority list because it's very difficult to keep it updated.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ramzar,

It's really not possible for us to get and maintain a dealer locator.

1. Many dealers buy through distributors that we don't know about.
2. Many dealers do not carry more than a few of our models, so to list them as a dealer and have a customer go to their store and be disappointed, and then complain to us, doesn't work.
3. New dealers come on board and some dealers go out of business or stop carrying our line.
4. Dealers overseas are mostly unknown to us.

sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Perhaps we could crowdsource a "Dealer Locator" thread right here? Folks can come in and tell the rest of us about dealers they know carry a worthwhile selection, and let us know how the experience is at that store.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 am
Hi Ramzar,

It's really not possible for us to get and maintain a dealer locator.

1. Many dealers buy through distributors that we don't know about.
2. Many dealers do not carry more than a few of our models, so to list them as a dealer and have a customer go to their store and be disappointed, and then complain to us, doesn't work.
3. New dealers come on board and some dealers go out of business or stop carrying our line.
4. Dealers overseas are mostly unknown to us.

sal

Of course, there are these predicaments for brick and mortar stores carrying Spyderco knives.

It wasn't for me but someone had inquired about stores carrying knives in Southern California. The closest to that person was Plaza Cutlery in Costa Mesa but they closed their store location after some 40 years.

I guess one way would be to inquire distributors about outfits that buy Spyderco knives in one's extended neighborhood but they may not be so willing to give that information out.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I don't think there is a retailer within a 100 miles of us. The few I've been in on our travels have:

1. Had limited models
2. Were charging MSP prices.

So I determined long ago all my Spyderco's would be purchased online :)
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Hello, that was me. I appreciate all of the the replies and details. I would really like to hold these knives in hand before purchasing. Found a few that work, sold a few that didnt. Usually break even, but getting tired of heading to the post office, paying auction fees, etc.

Looks like I need to head to the Blade Show. :)
-C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Calicoast wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm
Hello, that was me. I appreciate all of the the replies and details. I would really like to hold these knives in hand before purchasing. Found a few that work, sold a few that didnt. Usually break even, but getting tired of heading to the post office, paying auction fees, etc.

-C

Too late for Balde Show 2018!

As I mentioned, try Grommet's Cutlery in Moreno Valley. They had a pretty good selection of Spydercos when I last visited a couple of years ago.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I ways wondered why no REI as a distributor. Or maybe Dick's sporting goods.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm

-C
That might work out in Moreno Valley. I head to Lake Havasu City few times a year. I will have to remember that next time I am going through Moreno Valley. Thinking Blade Show 19'.

I do have a Dicks Sporting Goods less than a mile from me.
-C
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Check out specialty cutlery shops or gun stores. Call em up and ask them about selections. I also forgot about Bass pro shops.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I wonder if some of the distributors (who are able to get a distributor exclusive as we've seen) would be willing to help the end line users and provide some information....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a related question for you all: Are there knife stores both online and brick and mortar and general sporting goods stores that may not have Spyderco knives advertised for sale on their websites or in their stores as regularly-stocked items, but, would be willing and are able to special order them for you?

Example: You go to a sporting goods store that sells general items from fishing and hunting to firearms and professional sports equipment like basketballs and baseballs, and they have some knives but no Spyderco. Would they be able to special order you a Spyderco knife or would it not be worth the time and cost involved?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:45 pm
I have a related question for you all: Are there knife stores both online and brick and mortar and general sporting goods stores that may not have Spyderco knives advertised for sale on their websites or in their stores as regularly-stocked items, but, would be willing and are able to special order them for you?

Example: You go to a sporting goods store that sells general items from fishing and hunting to firearms and professional sports equipment like basketballs and baseballs, and they have some knives but no Spyderco. Would they be able to special order you a Spyderco knife or would it not be worth the time and cost involved?
My experience is that big box sporting goods stores wont. I'm not sure what Bass Pro - Cabela's policy is. Gun stores / hunting and fishing stores that are locally owned usually will. However, many of those places go through distributors, and I'm not sure how that affects their cost vs. buying direct from Spyderco. Having worked in a mom and pop hunting and fishing store as high school student and college freshman, I can tell you that, at least 18 or so years ago, MAP doesn't leave a big profit margin, even buying direct. We always required a non-refundable 10 to 20% deposit to cover employees' time and return shipping cost if you decided you didn't want it after it showed up.

It was also tough then to keep enough of all the various Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, and Kershaw models in stock to satisfy the knife afis, plus keeping Buck, Case, Gerber, Puma, and Boker for the traditional guys who weren't knife afis. I can't imagine trying to do it now with all the models Spyderco, Benchmade, and Kershaw offer, plus the addition of ZT, and the nice Chinese brands like Kizer and WE, and everyone else. You almost have to be a dedicated knife business with a big online sales presence to offer the selection we knife afis want and to sell them at MAP. You need inventory and sales volume to go with it.