So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Post by steelcity16 »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Just a heads up, I spoke with someone who went to Blade Show and he said that Spyderco had all of the Maxamet models on display. He was told that they would be available again in late summer.

I wasn't there myself, so I won't put my name on it. But if I were any of you, I wouldn't be paying some of the prices that some people are paying for Maxamet PM2s. I think they'll be back.

I hope this means they found a way to make Maxamet work, because I would love a Millie in Dark Grey/Maxamet.
big news if true! would be great to be able to buy a maxamet pm2 and para 3 at retail!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Just a heads up, I spoke with someone who went to Blade Show and he said that Spyderco had all of the Maxamet models on display. He was told that they would be available again in late summer.

I wasn't there myself, so I won't put my name on it. But if I were any of you, I wouldn't be paying some of the prices that some people are paying for Maxamet PM2s. I think they'll be back.

I hope this means they found a way to make Maxamet work, because I would love a Millie in Dark Grey/Maxamet.
I see light at the end of the tunnel!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My first PM3 experience (the BBS m390) recently convinced me I need to give the PM3 more attention. The PM2 has never been my favorite, and I had avoided the PM3 for that reason, but I was (very) surprised when the PM3 fit my hand so much better than the PM2. I'll definitely be picking up a PM3 in Maxamet when they're available at retail again.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm
basedlarrydavid wrote:

Can anyone who went to blade confirm that there was a Maxamet Military? That one is near the top of my must have list.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Really hoping for a Military and PM2 at some point.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've been toying (dangerous, I know) with the idea of getting a Manix 2 in Maxamet. I'd really like to try out the Manix 2 ergonomics. It looks like it would be a great fit for me, especially since I like a deep choil.

I do hope that Spyderco can find solutions for the PM2 and the rest of the Military family regarding Maxamet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 pm
I've been toying (dangerous, I know) with the idea of getting a Manix 2 in Maxamet. I'd really like to try out the Manix 2 ergonomics. It looks like it would be a great fit for me, especially since I like a deep choil.
Do it. Best knife ever. :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm
I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.
Content with your Military collection?!

These words combined in such a manner make me a sad panda.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:28 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm
I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.
Content with your Military collection?!

These words combined in such a manner make me a sad panda.

I've got a pretty good variety, I've got S110V, 52100 and M4, plus my full SE S30V. I would be open to one in H1/LC but otherwise Maxamet or maybe another Cruwear combo are all I'm really interested in. As it is now I don't think I've carried a Military once since getting my Sliverax and Autonomy. Those two are bad for business.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

It would certainly be a bummer if Maxamet was gone, but it seems like a bit of a niche appeal alloy, so if sales aren't justifying its place in the lineup it would certainly make sense to roll it back to limited runs or Sprints/exclusives only.

I did a 15 DPS bevel with my Hapstone system (at least with the bonded diamond stones I use Maxamet is NOT a difficult steel, way easier than the likes of ZDP), then used the Sharpmaker to apply a 20 DPS micro-bevel. It hasn't been torture tested by any means, but it's still razor sharp many months later.

Not an expert opinion, just what worked for me :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have the Manix 2 and Native 5 in Maxamet. Looking forward to more! A Military in Maxamet would be great.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If it was truly gone (and I don't believe for one second that it is) I would be on the hunt for a backup M2 LW or a Native 5. It's a great steel for my uses and it would last me a lifetime of use.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Any updates Here? Really want to see more Maxamet, nothing else has cut as long as Maxamet in my experience
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 pm
Any updates Here? Really want to see more Maxamet, nothing else has cut as long as Maxamet in my experience
https://youtu.be/t0Nd02e6P9E

Posted only for reference.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:18 pm
I have the Manix 2 and Native 5 in Maxamet. Looking forward to more! A Military in Maxamet would be great.

Can you tell a difference in scale material between the Native and Manix? The catalog says the Native is FRN and the Maxamet is FRCP. I only have the Native and it definitely feels and look different than the Japanese FRN. I guess I need to buy a Manix Maxamet for my own testing!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Is Spyderco making REX 121 PM2's and Para 3's now?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

I wish!!

I wasn't implying that they were, just sharing a link for anyone on a new rex 121 cut test.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm
basedlarrydavid wrote:

Still hoping this is true. Would love to grab the Para 3 and Millie (if this is true) at retail soon.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

I wish!!

I wasn't implying that they were, just sharing a link for anyone on a new rex 121 cut test.

Maybe Rex 121 will be the surprise drop of 2019 like the Rex 45 sprints of 2018. If so, I assume the demand will be as strong or stronger than Rex45 (assuming a good G10 color...burnt orange was amazing), so I would love to see them double the amount of the Rex45 run with half done in DLC. I would also like to see them add the Native (LW and G10) and G10 Manix to the initial drop (still keep the Para 3, PM2, and Millie). This should allow everyone to get a chance to grab at least one at retail.
thost288

Post by thost288 »

2019 catalogue is out and both the para 2 and para 3 are in there. Looks like it is making a return. Now to wait for the day at a 2