Martian colonist knife - Your take on its design, Spyderco or not

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
emanuel

Martian colonist knife - Your take on its design, Spyderco or not

Post by emanuel »

I was watching a press conference yesterday night with our buddy Elon talking about the challenges that astronauts might face on Mars, and the tools they might need. And since this will happen in the next 10-15 years tops, it made me wonder, what kind of knife would be suitable for the needs of martian colonists, design and materials?

For example, due to NASA being so scared of sharp objects in space, it wouldn't surprise me if whoever sends humans first to Mars to think the same, so a folder design will most likely be the choice. Also, cutting organic matter will be limited until proper greenhouses will be built, and maybe by that time sending specialized tools to mars will be feasible and reduce the need for hand utility works (doubtful).

Handle might be something that fits well in your hand with or without a suit glove, which might bring some design challenges. The lock also needs to keep this in mind, so compression lock for example would only work with a big cutout for gloved finger etc.

Blade might need to be thicker than our usual slicers that we love so much, since you won't be doing deep cutting or slicing into anything, most uses will revolve into superficial cutting of plastic, rubber, maybe coming in contact with aluminum or other soft metals, and reducing the risk of a tool breaking is a thing worth considering when you're so far away from home without any real means of production or repair. Also, sharp tip will most likely be a no-no. The material of it is up to debate, I honestly don't know, probably something easy to sharpen (???) and stainless. What's your take on it?
Last edited by emanuel on Mon May 14, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: Martian colonist knife - Your take on its design, Spyderco or not

Post by Evil D »

I'm thinking of two scenarios...

1) If we're colonizing another planet, things are going to be thought out and designed in such a way that they are as self sufficient as possible, meaning zip lock bags as opposed to bags that need cut open. There won't be plastics and hoses and things that need cut because everything will be designed like a giant Lego set. You won't have to fabricate anything so you won't need an over built knife for hard use.

2) We colonize and the situation is more like settling the wild west, where we have to make due with what we have no matter what happens, things break down and we have to do a lot of improvising to keep systems working. This could be where a good knife becomes invaluable. Then you may need to fabricate and customize things to keep everything running.

The sharp objects thing is a big deal. If you're in a space suit and you accidentally cut a slit in your suit, you're in trouble. This makes me think the last thing anyone would want is a sharp blade. Seems like they'd use more controlled tools like wire snips or other specialized cutting tools designed for specific tasks that lower the risk of accidents.

For fun though I'd say maybe an automatic like the Autonomy would be good for the job. It works great with even super heavy gloves on. The only problem might be losing your grip when deploying the blade in which case it would flip out of your hand and fly through space until the end of time. A fixed blade removes the glove/lock dexterity issue. The problem is the lack of gravity. Inside a space station out in orbit, if you lose control of your knife it'll go flying around into who knows what. That's an extremely dangerous situation. If we're colonizing Mars on the surface, we would have gravity on our side, although far less gravity than we have on Earth so a dropped knife may still be more dangerous than it is here.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Pacific Salt

- impervious to elements
- easy to open with gloves and bare hands, and with both hands indistinctly
- ambidextrous lock
- strong bias to closing (if it falls or goes flying around while opening or closing it)
- not ultra pointy and sharp tip
- maintenance free, not easily impeded by dust, gunk, small particles inside mechanisms and complex pieces
- colorful handle for easy spotting
- thin and flat to clip onto a suit, MOLLE, vest, belt, pallet, box, strap, cord, etc. without getting in the way
- will cut for long as long as it has teeth, unlike PE, ideal for nylon, synthetics, plastics, tough materials, organic fibers, food, plants, vegetable matter, cordage, strapping, banding
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Folding knives increase the danger of accidental cuts. A good, stout fixed blade would be the right call. It would be easy to use with a gloved hand. It should be easy to sharpen, tough as it can be, hold an edge a decent amount, and able to be attached to a variety of gear/suits/clothing. It should not be too long, either. A 4 to 4.5" blade would be best, and not too wide.

I think H1 might be a good choice, actually. A knife like the Aqua Salt would be just nice, or even the Waterway (though I am unsure about the toughness of LC200N).

This knife should be paired with a small pocket knife, like a SAK S111.

The main blade on this locks, but a push button unlocks it. It is very easy to do. This knife has a secondary smaller blade, flathead and phillips screwdrivers, an awl, can and bottle openers, wire stripper, and more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

NASA has sent several different knives up with astronauts. Randalls, Case, even an Emerson.http://knifenews.com/knives-in-space/
I'd issue a few Salt folders and a kit of "pioneer" tools like the Army had assigned to each tactical vehicle. An Axe, Pick, Shovel and for wheeled vehicles a tire tool, jack and spare naturally. Also a water can full. We had to insure these were on their allotted spaces on the vehicles every pre use inspection. "PCMS". If in a Snow prone area chains were part of the kit. Obviously some of these aren't needed for a trip to mars but common sense should be enough to figure out the needs. I question if they will carry firearm(s) and if so what?

Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am
I question if they will carry firearm(s) and if so what?

Joe

Hmm...it's interesting to think about how a bullet might behave in space or with lower gravity and atmosphere.
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hmm...it's interesting to think about how a bullet might behave in space or with lower gravity and atmosphere.
It won't affect the burn rate of the powder. The oxygen is contained in the powder. Perhaps most self loading actions should work if braced from behind but I would want testing on that. The shooter would want to be braced to keep from spinning or moving back but other than not dropping with range and slowing down from drag the projectile should do pretty much what it does here. The recoil impulse really isn't that bad until you get up in power to the .308/.303/30-06 levels. Those get to the 20 ftlb and above which would be a lot on an not braced person.I have heard the Sov's tested stuff in orbit and maybe so have we.

Joe
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am
I question if they will carry firearm(s) and if so what?

Joe
It's safe to assume that a Mars colony will be deprived of firearms for a long time.
First of all there's no need to hunt, and for self defence against a human there are far better and safer options, plus any round shot inside could create catastrophic damage to life support systems or the like.
Keep in mind that the people chosen will be mostly scientists at first that are screened very well, so criminal rate will probably be lowest of low.
Also, the colony will most likely not represent a specific state, but a company or a joint group of multiple nationalities, out of which most would question the need of a gun on Mars. Also thanks for the knives in space link Joe, nice find, I didn't knew that.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What will the cops carry? If someone is trying to kill you or someone else, a gun is a pretty good resource.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Just use a CGI knife.
Like the car.
We live in a closed system.
Space is science fiction.
Not real science
But scientism.
A new age religion.
O
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am amazed and glad that this discussion thread was started.
While I am an enthusiast for varied unique knife locking and folding mechanisms, I am pursuaded by much evidence that the best design would be some form of fixed blade knife. One core reason for this: In addition to there being less potential breakdowns in mechanism, Mars is packed with grainy dust, like the Moon, on the surface.

https://www.space.com/1732-martian-dust ... ssion.html

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... _marsdust/

I do not believe the dust is an insurmountable problem, but, if I were in the boots of an astronaut or Martian colonist, or Lunar colonist, I would want a strong fixed blade. The Randall Astro is a very good design, but it could be updated with more rust-resistant steel, perhaps H1 or Lc200N.

I would also want serrations at least one a section of the blade for cutting tough synthetic and fibrous materials.

Some form of modified and telescoping lanyard would also be good, to attach to the external suits and armor that would be worn, made in such a way as to be tangle-free.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Maybe something with a potato peeler on one end, in case you get abandoned...
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

And you call yourself Christian SEF.
Look to the word & learn the truth so you don't come up with so much trash ideas.
O.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

O,just,O wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm
Look to the word & learn the truth so you don't come up with so much trash ideas.
O.
Man you seriously need to chill out with the constant Bible bashing.
~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

[quote="Evil D" post

[/quote]
Coming from some one called Evil ? That is a good bit of advice. You need a job as administrator
So much trash on here lately that it assaults my senses.
Just making a stand is all.
Who else will stand against lies that pollute the minds & therefore the hearts of the unwary ?
O.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:36 pm
What will the cops carry?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

O,just,O wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Coming from some one called Evil ? That is a good bit of advice. You need a job as administrator
So much trash on here lately that it assaults my senses.
Just making a stand is all.
Who else will stand against lies that pollute the minds & therefore the hearts of the unwary ?
O.

You chose this tiny little corner of the internet to take your stand? Your last 20+ posts have been nothing but bashing people about religion. Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. You need to get a life man. It's rather pathetic.
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Bashing people for their religion, or lack of religion is pretty petty and childish. There was no reason for it to even have been brought up in the first place. Maybe you should join a different type of forum if this is how you like to get your rocks off.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 pm
O,just,O wrote:
O.
HIs interpretations are unique.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

O,just,O wrote:
O.
O,just,O wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 pm

O.
Lol, my friend, I don't want to be rude but this is a thread about a knife, not a Westboro Baptist Church fan page... What are you saying, that the Mars I see through my telescope is a glass bead on a string put there to trick me? You are using the internet, which is possible due to space flight and satellites... And the only lies that pollute YOUR mind are the silly conspiracy theories you read on abovetopsecret. I mean, come on, you're joking right?