Pick a favorite out of these 5....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Pick a Favorite out of these 5

Delica
21%
Native
24%
Para3
29%
UKPK
8%
Caly 3
18%

Total votes: 157

wrdwrght

Re: Pick a favorite out of these 5....

Post by wrdwrght »

Blue PE VG10.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm really surprised to see so many incorrect votes. Clearly the Caly is the supreme choice...... so that's what I voted for. I would also give a strong nod to the UKPK. I think that pricepoint has alot to do with how the final poll results look. With a properly priced FRN Caly 3.5, nothing else will stand a chance. Just you wait and see. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I like my Para3!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm
I'm really surprised to see so many incorrect votes. Clearly the Caly is the supreme choice...... so that's what I voted for. I would also give a strong nod to the UKPK. I think that pricepoint has alot to do with how the final poll results look. With a properly priced FRN Caly 3.5, nothing else will stand a chance. Just you wait and see. :D
My good friend when I usually agree with you about 95% of the time this baffles me and I strongly and respectfully disagree with you on these two that you have selected. But I'm looking at it from a function and endurance aspect probably more than I am from an aesthetics aspect. For me those two apsects factor in even more than aesthetics or style. Although I actually like the looks of all the aforementioned on the list we voted on >> but the GOLDEN made Native has more endurance than any Spyder I've ever used hard>> and I must admit that it baffles me as to why that is :confused: >> but I never second guess obvious success.

I still say for the price and my own personal track record of putting the Native through a series of potentially destructive cutting jobs I've never found a Spyder in it's size range and price range both that has the extreme durable performance that the GOLDEN made Native model has. Now I've not yet put a Para 3 through a potentially destructive series of cutting jobs like I have with the Native model and ( on numerous occasions) but I'm assuming that it has similar quality of construction as the Para 2.

Just thought you might want to know ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 am
xceptnl wrote:
My good friend when I usually agree with you about 95% of the time this baffles me and I strongly and respectfully disagree with you on these two that you have selected. But I'm looking at it from a function and endurance aspect probably more than I am from an aesthetics aspect. For me those two apsects factor in even more than aesthetics or style. Although I actually like the looks of all the aforementioned on the list we voted on >> but the GOLDEN made Native has more endurance than any Spyder I've ever used hard>> and I must admit that it baffles me as to why that is :confused: >> but I never second guess obvious success.

I still say for the price and my own personal track record of putting the Native through a series of potentially destructive cutting jobs I've never found a Spyder in it's size range and price range both that has the extreme durable performance that the GOLDEN made Native model has. Now I've not yet put a Para 3 through a potentially destructive series of cutting jobs like I have with the Native model and ( on numerous occasions) but I'm assuming that it has similar quality of construction as the Para 2.

You know I always enjoy your perspective JD, even when you're wrong ;) My choice would have been a much more difficult one if I was forced to compare the Calys to the original FRN, linerless, Golden made Natives. That being said, the Native 5 doesn't really do anything for me when compared to the original. I'll still pick up the Native Salt when it hits because I consider it a milestone piece, but i digress. This all comes down to a matter of taste and fortunately Sal gives us more flavors than any other maker on the planet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am
JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

You know I always enjoy your perspective JD, even when you're wrong ;) My choice would have been a much more difficult one if I was forced to compare the Calys to the original FRN, linerless, Golden made Natives.
Even when I'm wrong :rolleyes: ?? Humm??? :rolleyes: OK Sir I'll ask you if you've ever had a literal "job from **** itself" laid in your lap and you knew you were going to have to use and possibly sacrifice a premium folder ( or two) to get the job done. Well dude that's what I was faced with back around 8 years ago and I went to my footlocker and very reluctantly picked out one of my Spyders that I truly thought was going to be an Aztec blood sacrifice and would also ultimately be destroyed in the process. Well that's what I was faced with and I got out my old 440V, SE GOLDEN made Native and I resigned myself that I was going to be one or maybe two knives short at the end of the day to get this horrible job accomplished.

But much to my most pleasant surprise ( liner or no liner) at the end of the day and the completion of the job the 440V SE Native was still as functional as it was when I started 10 hours eariler>> Now I will admit that I had a "MONSTER" of a sharpening job at the end of that day :eek: and you and I both know how mean it is to sharpen 440V :rolleyes: >> and with that being said I have no choice but to give my ultimate gratitude to the GOLDEN Made Native >> case closed>>> and I still have that knife for hard use by the way.

So based on raw performance my good friend I'm sticking to my guns on this one :D
Strider

Post by Strider »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 am
Delica. I own more Natives, but carry the Delicas more. Really wish there was an FRN Caly option.
pretty sure Sal said this is in the works
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Para 3 for me. Compression lock is king for my uses.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Native 5 is the best of these, infact it shouldn't even be in the same league as the other ones. It's so much better.

I rank it up there with my PM2. The only reason the N5 doesn't beat it is because of the compression lock, it is my favorite lock bar none. IMHO there is no faster setup than a tip down comp lock for working.

Back to the Native 5!

It's blade shape and handle are perfect. It's small, discreet, tough as nails and handsome enough to pull out infront of any of my customers(I do anyways :p). The only thing that detracts from it is the lock. The backlock is a great lock, it is my number 2. But for using quickly during time sensitive jobs(time is money!) it is not AS safe to use quickly.

I have to grip the knife, press the lock with my thumb, let the choil drop to my finger and then move my fingers out of the way at the same time that I use my thumb to shut the blade. The process isn't that slow but the last step is potentially dangerous for me and how fast I do things. Several times my fingers have barely been out of the path.

My current HOLY GRAILS would be a 1:1 copy of the Native 5 PE and the Dodo SE, but both having compression locks and s110v. I would be covered for any situation I could encounter in a days work. And If for some reason they couldn't, I have an Esee 6 and a Gransfors Bruk axe in my truck that I guarantee will!

So, Native 5 wins, but it wasn't a fair fight.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I've been carrying a hap40 caly since I got one - I started carrying it to see how I'd like it, but nothing has kicked it out.

I really like the native as well. I'd like to try the carbon fiber one of these days and see if the rounded cross section makes as nice a difference as I've heard.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Delica,hands down.Perfect size and ergos and so much flavors to choose from...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 am
xceptnl wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am
JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

You know I always enjoy your perspective JD, even when you're wrong ;) My choice would have been a much more difficult one if I was forced to compare the Calys to the original FRN, linerless, Golden made Natives.
Even when I'm wrong :rolleyes: ?? Humm??? :rolleyes: OK Sir I'll ask you if you've ever had a literal "job from **** itself" laid in your lap and you knew you were going to have to use and possibly sacrifice a premium folder ( or two) to get the job done. Well dude that's what I was faced with back around 8 years ago and I went to my footlocker and very reluctantly picked out one of my Spyders that I truly thought was going to be an Aztec blood sacrifice and would also ultimately be destroyed in the process. Well that's what I was faced with and I got out my old 440V, SE GOLDEN made Native and I resigned myself that I was going to be one or maybe two knives short at the end of the day to get this horrible job accomplished.

But much to my most pleasant surprise ( liner or no liner) at the end of the day and the completion of the job the 440V SE Native was still as functional as it was when I started 10 hours eariler>> Now I will admit that I had a "MONSTER" of a sharpening job at the end of that day :eek: and you and I both know how mean it is to sharpen 440V :rolleyes: >> and with that being said I have no choice but to give my ultimate gratitude to the GOLDEN Made Native >> case closed>>> and I still have that knife for hard use by the way.

So based on raw performance my good friend I'm sticking to my guns on this one :D

Just curious, what was the job?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I'm curious about that job too JD.. And I would just like to say that I agree with the statement that there should be a Native 6 that is the exact same as the 5 but with a compression lock... Shaman is too big and Lil' Native is too " lil' ".. I want that sweet spot right in the middle where the current Native 5 is!!!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Military!

To be honest I didn't actually look at the options but am going to stick with my answer.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd go with a Native out of those five. They're all smaller than I like though.

A larger Native would be a really nice EDC for me, since I've found myself becoming more fond of designs with no thumb ramp.

I wonder if the chief is in the works? I'd probably have the Shaman if it were a lockback. Hoping the Chief is closer to the Military in size if it happens. 3.5" is a nice size, but 4" blade is even better.
:unicorn