What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnOeFz

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by KnOeFz »

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

On my own for dinner tonight so I chopped up some spinach and microgreens then tossed in leftover chicken taco meat from last night to make a spicy salad topped with homemade fermented carrots. :)

-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Used my Smock to cut off a bunch of frayed stragglers on my favorite pair of work jeans front right pocket...the cause, due to pocket clips from my knives. The cause of the problem becomes the solution :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SE Endura doing some landscaping trimming.

bjcLcp8h.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here lately I've been using my full Spyderedged, Stainless handled RESCUE model ( ATS-55) much more than usual here of late. I still marvel at how good those full Spyderedged, Sheepsfoot blades can go through virtually any kind of material. I've tackled all kinds of nylon straps ( really thick ones) and some of the thickest clam packs I've ever encountered. Just about all the people I"m working with asked me to borrow mine because most of them don't even carry a pocketknife at all.

I use my Stainless RESCUE full SE model as a companion folder to my main EDC and have been for over a year now. I do use a couple of my SE Spyderhawk models for serrated blade cutting chores as well. It amazes me as to how many new uses I still find for my full Spyderedged models.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I took my Pacific Salt along snorkeling in a creek. Used it to pin down and catch a couple crawdads to show my little niece and nephew.

Then, I threw the knife into the deepest part of the creek, and had fun diving, searching, and retrieving it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:06 pm
SE Endura doing some landscaping trimming.

bjcLcp8h.jpg
Those older Enduras had such beautiful tips.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Salt wharnie for getting to the roots of suckers and weeds, cutting cardboard, and getting into a stupid, completely ridiculous Costco package of razors. What an impressive cutter this knife is. Highly recommended. Here's a little 3D pic - just cross your eyes...

- best wishes, Jazz.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Used the Caribbean to cut up bait for fishing and did some food prep (not at the same time). Also used it as my knife for eating. Used the Pacific Salt to cut back some branches and dig up weeds.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just some rather purposeless side to side comparison whittling... getting to know my Endela better. Great knife.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Removed some ticks out of my skin with the tip of my Endela SE. It has a very acute and fine one, due to the chisel grind.

Ticks are honestly probably the most dangerous animals we have here in Austria, since they can transmitt at least two rather bad diseases. While you´d have to be REALLY lucky to spot something like a wolf or bear even from very far away (where I live, these animals are just crossing once every one or two years or so, and are not resident [correct term for that in english???] in any way).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ticks are bad news here in Florida. I have colleagues who’ve contracted Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I used my Swick 4 to mock up some Koa scales for it.

I think I'm going to start making scales and work my way up to making a knife.

Here's the rough cut, I just need to order some hardware to mount them to the knife and I will do the final shaping.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cutting loads off of a supply helicopter... ;)

Just kidding, of course. The image below is more a illustration pic I took yesterday for what I used my trusty, beat up CE Delica in the afternoon:

As kind of a sidejob I help in supplying two mountainshelters here in Salzburg /Austria (in fact I do this just for free food up there and not for money).
This shelters can be reached only on foot or in exceptional cases per helicopter. Hikers and mountaineers get food and drinks and can stay overnight there.
So I carry stuff (mostly food) like twice a month up there (it´s not too far, just around 3500 feet of vertical distance). But since I never even closely can carry all that is needed (my back does not like me hauling more than 90 pounds / 40 kg ;), and it´s just a SIDEjob as said ), about every six weeks there are supply flights per helicopter:

This is always really cool and hard work then, also KNIFE-work: The chopper flies 10 to 15 times, on each round around 1300 pounds / 600 kg of food and other supplies are delivered (in the pic it is a diesel aggregate). Each time the stuff has been lowered to the ground, we have around 20 minutes to unpack it and move it out of the way, till the next load is delivered. So you have to work VERY fast, and have to cut all sorts of packing material, straps, cordage, plastic foil and so on. And there is really no way and no time you could take care of your knife, a lot of twisting and turning and hitting metal with edge and tip is going on...

That´s when I always bring my first Spyderco, the comboedge Delica: In that special scenario I totally like the sabre grind, which gives you a very sturdy tip, I never feared breaking it. Also, "nice" "clean" and "beautiful" cutting and cuts are NOT a goal here it all, its more about tearing and ripping apart stuff in high speed. Thats when the serrations do great work, cause they can rip apart stuff somwehow even when dull and even if you would not call that a real "cut" anymore... ;)

Why that long story? Probably I just wanted to share with you all a knife-use-scenario which I personally would like to have way more often in my life.
Though I DO use my folders quite often, I often wished for a (work-) life that would include even more cutting tasks, just cause I love knives, I love to use knives, I love to have real users and I like my knives to look used... ;)

Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 am
Cool! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 am
Cool! :)
yeah, amazing what a Delica can do... I mean, that´s a steel cable, probably dimensioned for hauling more than ten thousand pounds... :D :D :D
Joey

Post by Joey »

Hahaha, super impressive! Nice photo, Wartstein :)

I don’t get to really use my knives more than once or twice a month, but recently I helped a good friend of mine set up a play set for his kids, which involved lots and lots of cardboard cutting during cleanup. I grabbed my usual hard user, and he had the Native 5. Both salts, however mine needed touching up before we finished. This H1 is perfect for anyone interested in sharpening, simply because you will need to do a lot of it XD

Terrible photo is better than no photo :)
Attachments
1664A103-2709-48C4-900F-2874A50FB54E.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 am
Hahaha, super impressive! Nice photo, Wartstein :)

I don’t get to really use my knives more than once or twice a month, but recently I helped a good friend of mine set up a play set for his kids, which involved lots and lots of cardboard cutting during cleanup. I grabbed my usual hard user, and he had the Native 5. Both salts, however mine needed touching up before we finished. This H1 is perfect for anyone interested in sharpening, simply because you will need to do a lot of it XD

Terrible photo is better than no photo :)
I'd choose your knife over his any day of the week, regardless if it has inferior edge holding... ;)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Wow, you have got me thinking. It is now clear to me why I love my Stretch, and sold off the Stretch 2 I had! I have noticed, You have a great love for the Hap40 Stretch, and I think the two (Stretch/Pac salt) are comparable in feel during operation. The handle of the stretch is also similar, as is the blade length and shape. Originally, I only bought the Stretch because it was a deal I couldn’t pass up. Ever since I got it however, it’s been a favorite.
My first Spyderco was this Pacific salt, and I love it so much despite my overwhelming dislike for the Endura 4 (admittedly for mostly aesthetic reasons. Also, the handle shape is bad in my book, so there a legitimate reason. haha). It was my most favorite wedding present by a long shot, and I ‘pay it forward’ when I can. In fact I gave him that salt :P These two sure are winners!
Attachments
E8579065-472E-4838-8C47-CA858986CBCC.jpeg
Joey

Post by Joey »

These specific models also both compliment each other VERY well as far as steel attributes are concerned.
One is rust proof, the other is rust prone. One is nearly hard as can be, the other is nearly as soft as can be.