Smock Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RickC27

Smock Flipper

Postby RickC27 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:36 am

So I just received an email from BHQ, that this knife is now available for pre-order. Had it on my wishlist for a couple months. I see other people have had this on pre-order since the beginning of the year. Any ideas why it was suddenly available to me to be pre-ordered so late in the game? Does this mean it's close to being released!?

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby koenigsegg » Mon May 07, 2018 12:01 pm

I think they had a limited number of preorders. The preorder was sold out so some people either cancelled or they decided to increase the amount of pre-orders
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Cruwear, Rex45, LC200N, M390

Gsg9
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby Gsg9 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:23 am


User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby elena86 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 am

Is it a production run ? I'll do my best to purchase one. It looks cool :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

foofie
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby foofie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Anyone else notice that the clip configuration in this video and the mid-year catalog is different form the clip in the BladeHQ video? The BladeHQ shows a standard three scree clip, with the knife tapped for right or left tip up carry.

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby murphjd25 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:21 am

foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm
Anyone else notice that the clip configuration in this video and the mid-year catalog is different form the clip in the BladeHQ video? The BladeHQ shows a standard three scree clip, with the knife tapped for right or left tip up carry.
I noticed that too. And Eric said in the video they changed a few things from the version they showed at Shot Show. If the clip was one of them this might be a must have now for me. I did not like that goofy clip on the other one at all.
Josh

Gsg9
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby Gsg9 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 am

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 am
Is it a production run ? I'll do my best to purchase one. It looks cool :cool:

Yeap, another cool one I'll have to keep an eye on :D
Last edited by Gsg9 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby archangel » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 am

Everything about this awesome knife is screaming my name. Everything except for the steel. There's nothing wrong about S30V, I know that. It's just used in soooo many :spyder: now.... they could've opted for an exotic super steel for this beauty.
Michael
Proud owner of 29 spydies (29 different models, 28 different steels) and a Sharpmaker
Missing steels: LC200N, Maxamet, 52100, M390, 154, 3V, 4V

Gsg9
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby Gsg9 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 am

S30V is good enough, an exotic super steel would make it more expensive and they are probably willing to sell more

RickC27

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby RickC27 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:49 am

archangel wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 am
Everything about this awesome knife is screaming my name. Everything except for the steel. There's nothing wrong about S30V, I know that. It's just used in soooo many :spyder: now.... they could've opted for an exotic super steel for this beauty.
I like people like you, this is why I know I'll get mine in the first batch of preorders!

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby ThePeacent » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:52 am

Smock himself has a video on his knife and collaboration process from last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuZtFJPV3pw

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2619
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby MichaelScott » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:43 pm

This one may seriously tempt me to sell my PM2 and get one. The design and blade shape is seriously appealing.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“It looked like a stampede of buffalo.” — Runs The Enemy

http://acehotel.blog

jacala
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am
Location: Ipswich,Queensland,Australia

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby jacala » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 pm

I gotsta have me wuna dem .Baked Beans for 3 meals a day for a month. :-)

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2488
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby elena86 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 am

ETA ? :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

Oogie
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:53 am

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby Oogie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 pm

I remember when Smock hit BHQ initially for preorder/down payment. The news at the time was listing the blade length at 3”. The design looked amazing, so I was quick to preorder. As the months have gone by and we’ve seen the knife in a few shows, the details have clarified to more of a 3” cutting length, closer to 3.5” blade. A little bit long for my general liking, and has dimmed my excitement slightly. But the style and features still have my attention, and I’m hoping it will easily win me over once it drops.

fanglekai
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby fanglekai » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm

If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby koenigsegg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm

fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Eric said the button won't open the blade
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Cruwear, Rex45, LC200N, M390

goonielife
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby goonielife » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm
fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Eric said the button won't open the blade
WAIT, WHAT????
After watching some videos again, I have to ask, does pushing the button move the detent out of the way when closing? The original smock can be opened by a wrist flick with the button pressed, and closes completely with the button pushed in.
Does this require an extra push to get past the detent when closing (regardless if the button is pushed)?

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby koenigsegg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 pm

goonielife wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm
fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Eric said the button won't open the blade
WAIT, WHAT????
After watching some videos again, I have to ask, does pushing the button move the detent out of the way when closing? The original smock can be opened by a wrist flick with the button pressed, and closes completely with the button pushed in.
Does this require an extra push to get past the detent when closing (regardless if the button is pushed)?
https://youtu.be/mv_f9ij_yNg?t=2m28s

Doesn't look like he is pushing the button twice, I think you can close it simply by pressing the button once and shutting the blade. He talks about the button not opening the blade around the 2:59 mark.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Cruwear, Rex45, LC200N, M390

RickC27

Re: Smock Flipper

Postby RickC27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

The entire time I watched that video, all I wanted him to do was clear his throat! Other than that, I can't wait for this unique piece to drop!! Dying for that email that my credit card is being charged.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronkb, b_4444_yu, Bing [Bot], GarageBoy, Google [Bot], Liquid Cobra, Majestic-12 [Bot], PeaceInOurTime, Spydergirl88, wrdwrght and 22 guests