Game over Canada? WW’s stops importing Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Re: Game over Canada? WW’s stops importing Spyderco.

Post by Candyman »

I’d just call them up if someone is looking for a reason.

Rich
Think for yourself
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:20 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 am
The wording of W&W's announcement makes me wonder whether this is a decision they have made not to import Spydercos, or a decision Spyderco has made to stop exporting knives to Canada so as to avoid the risk of having entire shipments seized by Canadian Customs.
Agreed. We don't yet have enough info. I hope it's Spyderco's doing. Otherwise it looks like W&W caved to hysterical bureaucrats (who, BTW, don't change just because a government changes).

They didn’t cave. In fact it is the opposite. They keep taking expensive risks ordering knives so that Canadians have access to great knives. For now they can’t bring in Spyderco.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Jazz wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:44 am
The beginning of the end. I'm using Bucks two handers now
A two hander? All kinds of jokes and old advertising slogans start running through my mind.

What are we talking about here, a machete? Samurai sword?
I didn't know Buck made that kind of stuff.

I guess you need that sort of thing when the end times arrive.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

twohand.jpg
I presume the Buck "two hander" is something like this, but I don't find it in their catalog.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm
A two hander? All kinds of jokes and old advertising slogans start running through my mind.

You been drinkin' bro? I can't tell if you're serious or not. I mean two hand opener, like this beauty.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:20 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm

You been drinkin' bro? I can't tell if you're serious or not. I mean two hand opener, like this beauty.

Hey Jazz, how are you liking that 110?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Jazz wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:20 pm
Sometimes my brain just runs off and I have a hard time stopping it. But I don't mean to make light of the plight of our brothers up north. I just get these crazy images in my mind sometimes. No voices in my head though, so I think everything is OK.

Did a sunset walk last night with my new friend the Spyderco Street Bowie. I'm always amazed at how that knife vanishes under a shirt (oops, probably not legal in all jurisdictions) and how light it is. I'm not sure what two hand opening rules say about fixed blades though.

Nice cactus. Do you actually have those up in Alberta? Are knife laws more sensible in Western Canada than in eastern urban centers? Sounds like it is getting as bad up north as living in California or Chicago.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
The wording of W&W's announcement makes me wonder whether this is a decision they have made not to import Spydercos, or a decision Spyderco has made to stop exporting knives to Canada so as to avoid the risk of having entire shipments seized by Canadian Customs.
Agreed. We don't yet have enough info. I hope it's Spyderco's doing. Otherwise it looks like W&W caved to hysterical bureaucrats (who, BTW, don't change just because a government changes).

They didn’t cave. In fact it is the opposite. They keep taking expensive risks ordering knives so that Canadians have access to great knives. For now they can’t bring in Spyderco.
Did W&W make a similar statement about Kershaws? I believe Kershaws were exemplars of the offending types of knife?

If Kershaws remain available while Spyderco's don't, how do we make sense of W&W's decision, assuming Spyderco itself did not pull the plug for strategy's sake?

ETA: Just read on BF of a West Coast seizure by Customs Canada and that the recipient of the order (W&W?) will be suing the CBSA. A Spyderco shipment? An event to bring the lunacy to light in court? Maybe this thing ain't over...
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Username827 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:13 pm

It's most excellent. Very light, sturdy, and actually has a lanyard hole. Nice finish and I like that there are no finger grooves. Reminds me of the 80's. :cool: I can't wait until the 112 LT comes out in the summer. I'll get a couple.
Last edited by Jazz on Sun May 06, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Nice cactus. Do you actually have those up in Alberta? Are knife laws more sensible in Western Canada than in eastern urban centers? Sounds like it is getting as bad up north as living in California or Chicago.

Lots of prickly pear cactus in the river coulees. I had to watch where is was stepping.

I don't really know what it's like out east, or in the big cities for laws. Probably like anywhere else.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:34 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Did W&W make a similar statement about Kershaws? I believe Kershaws were exemplars of the offending types of knife?

If Kershaws remain available while Spyderco's don't, how do we make sense of W&W's decision, assuming Spyderco itself did not pull the plug for strategy's sake?

ETA: Just read on BF of a West Coast seizure by Customs Canada and that the recipient of the order (W&W?) will be suing the CBSA. A Spyderco shipment? An event to bring the lunacy to light in court? Maybe this thing ain't over...

Got a link?

Edit: Never mind, found it. Not sure if that’s true or not.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:34 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

Got a link?

Edit: Never mind, found it. Not sure if that’s true or not.
Neither am I. Googling the news produced nothing for me.

Still, assuming that where there's smoke, there's fire, some news may yet come. If so, the seizure/suit suggests hope to expose and reverse the lunacy (and would explain W&W's perplexing message).
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Username827 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:13 pm

It's most excellent. Very light, sturdy, and actually has a lanyard hole. Nice finish and I like that there are no finger grooves. Reminds me of the 80's. :cool: I can't wait until the 112 LT comes out in the summer. I'll get a couple.
Thanks Jazz! Maybe I will break down and get one...
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:26 am
Johnnie1801 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:12 am
Bit odd, slipjoints and fixed blades are still legal, maybe they just don't sell well enough so they have decided to stop selling the brand?

No, this isn’t correct. All folding locking knives in Canada are still legal. The law hasn’t changed.
Sorry I was just speculating about WW's decision not to stock Spyderco products, even if they did not import certain locking knives they could still theoretically stock Spyderco fxed blades and slip its. I just hope for you guys that Spyderco have not taken the decision to stop exporting knives to Canada in case of custom confiscations.

The scary part to all this is that your Government have introduced a "knife ban", without passing legislation through parliament. OK locking knives are still legal but if you cannot buy them anywhere then that's as good as a ban.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Bump to see if anyone from Spyderco can chime in.

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

We're currently working with W&W to try to sort out the new issues.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 pm
We're currently working with W&W to try to sort out the new issues.

sal

That’s very encouraging news Sal. Thank you for not giving up on us.

@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That’s great news for us to hear Sal! Liberty, justice and Spydercos for all! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
canuck2k

Post by canuck2k »

oh no and i just got into this hobby~ i have a PM2 and a Para 3 in the mail