Ideal Collaborations For Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Ideal Collaborations For Spyderco?

Post by JD Spydo »

This has been talked about in the past but it's been a while. There is a thread at this time over at the OFF TOPIC part of the forum about another knife company called "Knives Of Alaska" and I'll just come right out and say it>> I believe they would be a super knife company for them & Spyderco to do a collaboration with. We haven't really seen Spyderco do any noteworthy collaborations with other companies in quite some time and they sure have done some really good ones in the past.

One super collaboration that Spyderco did that still stands out as one of my favorites was when they got together with Kershaw and both did the "SPYKER" model>> that's still one of my all time favorite obscure Spyders ever. Also when Spyderco & Boker got together and did the Titanium version of the Herbst model>> that remains one of the most sought after Spyders of all time. Also when Spyderco and Klotzli did the Michael Walker model ( the original Carbon Fiber unit) it is still to this day one of the most enviable collector pieces they ever put out.

Other than Knives of Alaska I would love to see Spyderco & Klotzli do another sterling collaboration again. So what which other knife companies would you all like to see Spyderco do a team collaboration with? I have two more suggestions but I would like to hear what knife companies you all would want to see Spyderco collaborate with?
sal

Re: Ideal Collaborations For Spyderco?

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

Company / Company collaborations offer many challenges.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal, i can only imagine..
MCusta and Seki Cut spring to mind *if* there would ever be a "company collab". I guess Moki doesn't count.. ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be interested in a Spyderhole licensed Sebenza Insingo or a Spyderco version of a Strider SMF with a round hole.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't know about company collaborations (how does that even work? the margins must be awful) but there are lots of great designers out there.

I haven't been impressed by all this designs but the Lucas Burnley Kwaiken family is an amazing design.

Same for Liong Mah, I really like his Eraser. Even with a fairly budget implementation on CRKT's part it's a great knife in the hand.

Spyderco doesn't have anything analogous to either of those (despite a huge product line).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I'd also love to see a Spyderco version of the Graham Razel folder. That has the potential to be the best beater knife ever.
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Something with Ed Calderon
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Not a company per se, but I would love to see a Spyderco/Enrique Pena collaboration.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:03 pm
Not a company per se, but I would love to see a Spyderco/Enrique Pena collaboration.
A Spyderco collab of his Barlow Flipper would be dreams come true! :eek: Also, LOVE his new "Raptor" pattern! :spyder:

Every time the topic of collaborations comes up, I immediately think of Spyderco working more with Darriel Caston and Serge Panchenko!

Also, I would love to see Spyderco work with RMJ Tactical to make a production model of their "Kestrel Trail hawk"!
- Nick :bug-red
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I still REALLY wish we could some day see a Mini K2. I hope this isn’t too much of a pipe dream though..
Josh
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I missed the Spyker. It was before I got into knives. I saw one at a knife show once for lots of $$$. I think another Kershaw collab would be great.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

The Spyker looks awfully similar to the BM Skirmish, and I know Benchmade asked for permission regarding the use of the Spyderhole , but this model escapes to me. :confused:
Is it also included in the "collaboration of sorts" or something?

Some knifemakers are closely associated with companies (CRKT and James Williams, Kershaw and Onion, Demko and Cold Steel, etc.) but I would love to see some crossovers and more collabs because every company has one or more excellent features exclusive to their knives that is child of that maker's mind :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Going out to "dreamland" I was thinking just last night how cool it would be for Spyderco to do another collaboration with the knife designers "JD Smith" & Massad Ayoob>> those were two of my all time favorites and both have remained in my JD's Top 10 for quite a few years now.

Now getting back to ideal knife companies to do collaborations with I still say that "Knives Of Alaska" would be excellent for an outdoor model>> it would be cool to see what the two companies could come up with for the Salt Series especially.

Also in the back of the far regions of my mind I've often wondered what kind of collaboration that Spyderco & Victorinox could come up with. It's interesting that Sal chimed in so fast because I wondered why we haven't seen a company collaboration for some time. But if they want to go with knife designers instead I still say that JD Smith & Massad Ayoob are proven winners.
sal

Post by sal »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Oh I'd also love to see a Spyderco version of the Graham Razel folder. That has the potential to be the best beater knife ever.
Hi Evil,

'We had something going with them a number of years ago. even made protos which we were showing at the SHOT show when they came to us and said they were going with CRKT. So we put away the proto and moved on.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Hi Evil,

'We had something going with them a number of years ago. even made protos which we were showing at the SHOT show when they came to us and said they were going with CRKT. So we put away the proto and moved on.

sal

Wow that's a bummer. I'm guessing that blade shape is protected somehow isn't it?
~David
sal

Post by sal »

It's protected by honor, if nothing else. That's good enough for Spyderco.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:35 pm

sal
Sal I have so much respect for the way spyderco shows integrity always.
Thanks
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:35 pm

sal
A model of business ethics.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This is why I keep coming back for more.
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm
I'd be interested in a Spyderhole licensed Sebenza Insingo...
That would be fantastic.