PM2 to PM3, happy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

PM2 to PM3, happy?

Post by ero2 »

Just curious if anyone has transitioned from a PM2 main EDC to a PM3, and find themselves content with it? I also assume, if they did, it would require a deep carry Lynch or MXG clip? I've always loved the PM2, but as someone who carries unclipped, and in my suit pocket during the day, and clipped in jeans or shorts after work, it would seem a logical move. I'd LOVE to try it myself, but no one even close to me has PM3s in stock to hold...so need my spydie forum assistance yet again!
Daveho

Re: PM2 to PM3, happy?

Post by Daveho »

I’ll just say that I think the clip thing is blown way out of proportion, love the factory clip myself.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I transition between the two knives quite easily. They’re both great. But yes, I like to upgrade the clip to an mxg version.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I agree that the pocket clip is blown out of proportion. It doesn’t both me.
The pm2 was always a little too big in the pocket for me but a fantastic knife. The para 3 is everything I was hoping it would be. All the awesomeness of the pm2 but fits my pockets better. Take a pm2 and squish it to the size of a sage or a native and that’s it. If you want a deeper clip, swap or go tip down.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I like the Para 3, but I just personally like to carry larger knives in general. I actually just got rid of my last Para 3 in Cruwear for another PM2 :)
Josh
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I have been carrying my PM3 M390 for the last couple weeks, my usual everywhere carry being a PM2 and Pac Salt SE.

First week, didnt really like the smaller blade length or how the standard clip sat in my pocket on the PM3.
Got the new Lynch clip, and to me it rides better.
Guess it's a matter of preference.
Its a stout little knife, and amazing how they got the handle right on this one to feel like a PM2.

One of the days last week, I switched back to my PM2, and the blade felt much larger then before.

If I leave the house it's the PM3.
When I am home, it's the PM2.
I have confidence in both to get the job done.
-C
Koop

Post by Koop »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 pm
I’ll just say that I think the clip thing is blown way out of proportion, love the factory clip myself.
I have both...love 'em. No issues with carrying either one.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

I switched from a PM2 jade m4 to the Maxamet para3 . The para 3 for me has been a giant improvement . It is smaller in pocket and feels great and in and has been able to tackle everything my pm2 could tackle . Now when I need a big blade I tend to go to the endura and I tend to edc the para 3
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Daveho wrote:
...I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who think the clip on the PM 3 is not a big issue. I am aware, however, "mileage varies".
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Diamondback wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm
Daveho wrote:
...I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who think the clip on the PM 3 is not a big issue. I am aware, however, "mileage varies".
Totally fair. I have a few nit picks on a few knives. The clip might be a big deal to some. And nothing to others.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Happy so far. I'm not planing on getting rid of my pm2's, but I will definitely be carrying the para3 more often. Doesn't "need" a custom clip but if you like the look of after market clips and deep carry, both the Lynch and the MXG seem to go well with it. I have the MXG short clip and like it a lot.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Yep^^ that’s more my point it’s not a huge failing and a mandatory replacement as it’s not sufficient but rather most prefer a deep carry
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Don't have a issue with the stock standard clip that you get.

Have found it a great knife with or without a clip as it's just right for the pocket. ( just that bit smaller makes it more pocket friendly than the PM2 )

No it doesn't replace the PM2 but it does replace a few similar sized knives as the parra 3 :eek:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I think if the 3 holes for the clip's screws were placed closer to the back edge of the handle (of the Para 3) then a deep carry clip wouldn't be as necessary (for some). The standard clip is placed in the perfect position (if you prefer tip up) on the G10 Manix 2. The huge lanyard tube on the Para 3 nixes all that up. I install Lynch deep carry clips on all of my Para 3s (and PM2s).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para3 can’t replace PM2 at least for me. The blade is overbuilt and being so wide it has that chubby appearance and the ergos behind the choil just doesn’t feel right even for my medium size hands.The fact that they decided to keep such a thick blade stock in a 3 inch blade is a mistery to me :confused: It just doesn't make sense....I was expecting a Delica-like blade shape with a 3mm blade stock grinded very thin behind the edge and a pointy tip of course :( . That being said, I carry my Cruwear Para3 quite a a lot but when I grab a PM2, it puts a smile on my face :).
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I keep trying to love the Para3, but the ergos just don't work very well for me, especially compared to the big and comfy PM2. I like a lot of smaller knives, and other 3inchers like the Native5 and Sage5 fit my hand very well.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, happy with Para 3 over the PM.
I've used the standard clip on many Spydercos and are fine, but on the Para 3 the end of the standard clip strikes a spot on my hand and is painful with the least of cutting. It's the MXG clip for the Para 3 that does it for me.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

I found the para 3 to feel bigger in pocket than the pm2. I think it’s because the pm2 is widest deeper in my pocket and therefore doesn’t get in the way. I tried the para 3 twice and ended up selling it both times. I’ve now bought and kept 4 pm2’s.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

The para 3 doesn't do it for me, I prefer the ergos of the native. I love the PM2
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I bought both at the same time and both are in my rotation. However, I do find the Para 3 gets the call more often than the PM2. I just find it more comfortable in hand. Oh, and even though I much prefer deep carry clips, the stock one on the 3 is fine and as a matter of fact, I really don't find it sticks out of the pocket any more than the 2.