Spyderco ClipiTool Earthman 3-bladed knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Spyderco ClipiTool Earthman 3-bladed knife

Post by Mad Mac »

It's really hard to come up with a name for a knife that is not already taken. The knife I have in mind would be similar to the Case Stockman in functionality but have Spyderco sized robustness: One 3.5 inch locking blade, and a shorter slip joint pen blade and a spey or sheepsfoot blade, all with opening holes.

The only other multi-blade Spydercos of which I am aware are the Dyad, Dyad Jr. and Byrd Wings but they only have two blades and the blades are the same length, which is why I think they are discontinued. There are many times when it is helpful to have a short blade and a handle large enough to provide a sure grip for better leverage and control.

The new ClipiTool Standard is almost there. It has the locking long blade and shorter bottle and can openers. Substitute pen and sheepsfoot or spey blades for the multi-tools and you have the ClipiTool Earthman. I think it would be a big seller.

What do you think? (As if I have to ask.)
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Re: Spyderco ClipiTool Earthman 3-bladed knife

Post by Mad Mac »

The ClipiTool Standard provides a platform for many possible combinations of blades. Instead of traditional pocket knife clip point, pen, spey or sheepsfoot, the Earthman could have the kind of blades for which Spyderco is known. A short Wharncliffe plain edge and a short Spyderedge Hawkbill blade would be a dynamite combination to add to the large leaf-shaped blade.

The Company is on the threshold of a great leap forward in the utility, functionality and handyness of our beloved Spyderco knives. The future looks bright.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

I wonder if this becomes a platform for individually customized Clipitools?
Go online, select your preferred combination of blades/tools/etc. and there you go.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You are correct, Sir.

One other adaptation would be to simply remove the inner liner lock and 3.5 inch blade to leave only the two slip-joint short blades that would be legal in hoplophobic countries with draconian knife laws.

Wait until they get a load of a 2.5 inch Wharncliffe or Hawkbill with a four inch handle.
Mad Mac

Re: Spyderco ClipiTool 3-bladed knife

Post by Mad Mac »

Forum members quibble about the nuances of blade steel, moan with desire for new designs, debate blade to handle ratios and pontificate on the flat earth ad infinitum.

By contrast, this thread, which is about a totally new design, a complete departure from previous models, has one comment. Where are the members with thousands of posts to their credit on this idea? Will no one opine?

Or it could just be the Jim Beam talking.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I like the idea: Short slip joint blade for mundane everyday tasks, and keep the big locking blade in reserve for emergencies. Instead of the short hawkbill blade I'd rather have scissors though, since I find those much more useful for EDC tasks.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

I'm less excited about the 'earthman' than I would be the 'bushcrafter': (1) saw with as long of a blade as possible, (2) short robust blade for hard stuff, and (3) Sprig-like blade for fish and kitchen.

It would be my go-to Boundary Waters knife, for sure.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I love this idea!! One main locking blade and two smaller blades, one plain edge and one spyderedge. Offering these in high carbon non-stainless would be awesome and multiple different colors/materials for the handle scales would really make it feel like a new take on a “modern-traditional”...

BTW...Earthman is a great name!