CTS B70p, any feedback?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

CTS B70p, any feedback?

Post by Deadboxhero »

Saw this as a mule team.
Doesn't look like it's moving. Most be the description "like 440c" :p

However, Carpenter already had a PM 440C

CTS 40cp

At first glance, CTS b70p looks like CTS 75p (PM BG42)
But Ooo it's different, looks in between 40cp and b75p in alloy content.

The composition reminds me of a higher carbon Niolox but with a little less Niobuim.

Looks like a great sharpening steel with a nice sweet spot for edge holding and edge taking.
It's also looks like it will take a nice aggressive edge without being brittle.

Perhaps a sweet spot between CPM 154 and S35VN.

I really want to try one.

Anyone liking it?

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
SF Native

Re: CTS B70p, any feedback?

Post by SF Native »

I have about half dozen mules kicking around the kitchen getting regular use. One of them is B70p. It’s not bad. I think you have a good impression of what it will do. It is really stainless, easy to sharpen and get a decent edge on it. It will hold the edge for a decent anount of time. Just don’t think it outshines the other available steels to get more use. It’s a tweener. Maybe similar to vg10.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have 2 B70P mules and like them a lot for the reasons noted. I find B70P easy to get blazing sharp and it holds its edge well.

The "like 440c" comment is funny but maybe true. Funny because XHP seems is held in high regard, but it's another 440c type steel. I tend to think of B70P as an XHP+, but until I got my frn Chaparral I could only compare my mules to a Manix2 in XHP, which was difficult due to a much heavier grind on the Manix.

B70P seems sort of ideal to me with the balance of properties it offers and what I'm looking for, but I guess the field is a little crowded with options like XHP, VG10, and some others already popular, readily available, and probably cheaper.
:spyder:
Nottoby

Post by Nottoby »

Why is this steel so unliked it took a year to get out to team