An up to date Delica design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

An up to date Delica design

Post by MichaelScott »

After reading the Delica appreciation threads and agreeing that the Delica 4 is an outstanding, iconic Spyderco EDC knife (I have owned a few) I was impressed with the design and materials advancements shown in the Amsterdam meet. I was especially struck by how generally similar in design the Mantra 3 is to the Delica.

What if the Delica was subject to CQI to bring the design to 2019 standards?

To imagine an up to date Delica, think of the Mantra 3 with a 3” blade and no flipper. Maybe it’s just me; I don’t like flippers for EDC user knives. That would be a candidate for the new Delica 5. Similar ergonomics (could even be FRN with other materials as options or sprints), compression lock (different locks could be offered eventually like the Sage), wire clip and improved blade shape.

This would not have to replace the Delia 4. In fact, it probably should not given the continuing popularity of the Delica and its price point. A “re-design” would undoubtedly cost more to make and to buy, which is not unusual. But, given the popuarity of the Delica 4, it makes sense to me that an updated and upgraded design based upon it would find ready acceptance in the marketplace.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
elena86

Re: An up to date Delica design

Post by elena86 »

Al I want is an upgraded back lock and a thinner behind the edge blade. That’s it.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 am
Al I want is an upgraded back lock and a thinner behind the edge blade. That’s it.
I like VG-10. I also would like to see a Chaparral-like back lock and a thinner blade without that little drop segment on the spine. I’d like to see a more pointy blade like the Para series.

I’m on the fence about frn or G10. A thin G10 in different colors would be interesting and would add little weight if any. A deeper, but not too deep, carry wire clip would be interesting too.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was just carrying my Hap 40 Delica yesterday. There is nothing I would change about it. It is perfect the way it is. Just the right handle shape, blade shape, balance, weight, lock....

I don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like what you really want is a Mantra without the flipper. I think you should be asking for a Mantra 4 not a Delica 5. Don't get me wrong, I love the Tasman 2, and can't wait to try the WharnDelica when the Hap40 sprint finally drops, but in general given the popularity of the Delica 4, they should leave it the way it is!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

elena86 wrote:
Agree
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 am
I was just carrying my Hap 40 Delica yesterday. There is nothing I would change about it. It is perfect the way it is. Just the right handle shape, blade shape, balance, weight, lock....

I don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like what you really want is a Mantra without the flipper. I think you should be asking for a Mantra 4 not a Delica 5. Don't get me wrong, I love the Tasman 2, and can't wait to try the WharnDelica when the Hap40 sprint finally drops, but in general given the popularity of the Delica 4, they should leave it the way it is!
You are probably right. When I saw the photos of the Mantra 3 my mind said, “what? Updated Delica?” I don’t like flippers mainly because the little flipper protrusion gets in the way and can cause unwanted openings in vulnerable locations. If the Mantra 4 was about the Delica size, without that *** flipper, I’d be happy.

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Out of curiosity, how much different in size are they? Anyone have a side by side shot of a Delica and a Mantra?

*edit- I googled a pic. OK I see the mantra is a little smaller.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I would like to preface this by stating that I absolutely love my new Delica 4’s, but I too think it’s about time for a Delica 5. I’d like to see a slightly larger blade at 3”, an upgraded back lock, and just like the Delica 4 now, I’d like to see it offered in a variety of colors, blade edges and blade shapes...FFG, Saber, Wharncliffe Hawk Bill.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

And IMO there will never be a need for a Delica (or a Colt 1911) upgrade. They, much like sharks and alligators reached perfection already :)
Of course i am not against a Delica-ish developed/derived model, but please keep the Delica "as is"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

If there was to be a delica 5, off the top of my head I’d love to see m4, g10 and a compression lock variant with wire clip.
Blade would be much the same shape but with a more pronounced drop point and 2.75”
No finger choil.
Holland

Post by Holland »

elena86 wrote:
this!

Changing the lock is changing the design. The compression lock is my favourite lock, but it is NOT superior to the back lock. It is just different.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tangent

Post by tangent »

I love the current design. The ONLY change I would make is to make ALL delicas LINERLESS like the salt 2 model. I personally don’t see any advantage of having liners. It’s a simpler, lighter design with no downsides that I can see. JMHO of course. Cheers.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

tangent wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 pm
I love the current design. The ONLY change I would make is to make ALL delicas LINERLESS like the salt 2 model. I personally don’t see any advantage of having liners. It’s a simpler, lighter design with no downsides that I can see. JMHO of course. Cheers.
The nested liners add abit of durability and strength in the handles, no? Probably wrong given the Salt 2’s durability and strength.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

JaseRicco wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 pm
I would like to preface this by stating that I absolutely love my new Delica 4’s, but I too think it’s about time for a Delica 5. I’d like to see a slightly larger blade at 3”, an upgraded back lock, and just like the Delica 4 now, I’d like to see it offered in a variety of colors, blade edges and blade shapes...FFG, Saber, Wharncliffe Hawk Bill.
Edit:
After reading a few comments regarding the Delica, it could probably use a better coating on the clip given how easily and quickly it wears.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Tims

Post by Tims »

My 2c for a Delica upgrade

-Upgraded backlock. Perhaps to include a stop pin like the chaparral. Everyone of my Delicas eventually develop an unacceptable amount of vertical play. This keeps them out of my pocket.

-Linerless/washerless if no stop pin. 'Linerettes' if ugraded with a stop pin, something like you find in the Manix lightweight. Just enough for washers and stop pin.

-A tad more blade length to fill the handle and bring the blade:handle ratio closer to 1:1.

-More neutral handle ergos. Ergos don't work for me, I'm sure for others too. More neutral=comfort for a wider range of hand sizes

-Steel. Something stainless and north of vg-10 in edge retention. So many steels to chose from, it's time to move on from vg-10
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

The bigger groove on the delica handle for your front 2 fingers is a bit too small imo, I would change that and add a choil. And make it thinner behind the edge on FFG models
tangent

Post by tangent »

JaseRicco wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:07 pm
tangent wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 pm
The nested liners add abit of durability and strength in the handles, no? Probably wrong given the Salt 2’s durability and strength.
It probably does add some strength but I don’t see the need for the extra strength in a 3” folder. Again, just my opinion.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

To constrain the discussion a bit, I had in mind a tweak or update to the current design, not a replacement. By Delica 5 i envisioned no major design element changes, rather some changes in materials and certain small elements. I’d like a blade more like the PMs, a true point. For the size, I think the blade thickness and length is about right although a thinner grind above the edge might help. I don’t even know if that is possible to execute, but it is a thought.

VG10, and perhaps BD1 are good choices, keeping quality blades at a reasonable price. Because it is a Delica, no choil. I’m on the fence about a wire clip but I’d like to see the black ones anodized or make more resistant to scratching.

Although I have never experienced vertical blade play with mine, perhaps a back lock redesign (with a stop pin? I don’t know enough about this to have an informed opinion) similar to the Chaparral’s would be a significant improvement.

I think the ergonomics of the handle are about perfect. They don’t please everyone of course, but I’d say the majority of Delica users would not want a change. As to FRN versus something else, I suspect it would be hard to shape the same ergonomics at a light enough weight, and low enough cost, to replace it. Like the no-choil design, I think the same FRN handle is critical to the Delica design.

So, some small tweaks would be nice. I’d opine that all of our suggestions run up against the shoals of business sense as well. You don’t throw the baby out.... and all that.

Team Innovation
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:00 pm
To constrain the discussion a bit, I had in mind a tweak or update to the current design, not a replacement. By Delica 5 i envisioned no major design element changes, rather some changes in materials and certain small elements. I’d like a blade more like the PMs, a true point. For the size, I think the blade thickness and length is about right although a thinner grind above the edge might help. I don’t even know if that is possible to execute, but it is a thought.

VG10, and perhaps BD1 are good choices, keeping quality blades at a reasonable price. Because it is a Delica, no choil. I’m on the fence about a wire clip but I’d like to see the black ones anodized or make more resistant to scratching.

Although I have never experienced vertical blade play with mine, perhaps a back lock redesign (with a stop pin? I don’t know enough about this to have an informed opinion) similar to the Chaparral’s would be a significant improvement.

I think the ergonomics of the handle are about perfect. They don’t please everyone of course, but I’d say the majority of Delica users would not want a change. As to FRN versus something else, I suspect it would be hard to shape the same ergonomics at a light enough weight, and low enough cost, to replace it. Like the no-choil design, I think the same FRN handle is critical to the Delica design.

So, some small tweaks would be nice. I’d opine that all of our suggestions run up against the shoals of business sense as well. You don’t throw the baby out.... and all that.
I believe it’s time for a Delica 5, the Delica 4 was released, about what,10 years ago(2008 I believe). Of course there is that old adage that you don’t fix what’s not broke, and in the case of the Delica 4, it is certainly NOT broke. But it does seem that it is overdue for some minor tweaks and upgrades. A lot of what you’d like to see overlaps with what I’d like to see: I have no problem keeping the steel VG-10, better clip coating, no wire clip though, upgraded back lock design, and a longer blade, 3” would be nice. I’d also like to see it offered in FFG, Wharncliffe and Hawk Bill blade shapes. Not necessarily because one is more useful over the other, but simply to offer variety.

That’s really it though. Other than that, have I said that I love the Delica 4 :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

bring back the pointy tip!