H1 is the perfect EDC steel. Change my mind..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: H1 is the perfect EDC steel. Change my mind..

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 am
npad69 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am
you won't find a lot of FFGs with it
That's absolutely a down side. I wish this we're different.
This for me, too. That’s the most compelling thing about LC200N Salts, to be honest. I agree that the toughness and corrosion resistance are H-1’s most compelling qualities.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

EDC vs
EDS (Every Day Sharpening) vs
EDU (Every Day Use aka what you use it for)

This is not “Highlander” (there can only be one)
This is not “The Hobbit” (one steel to rule them all)
although Magna Cut seems to be vying for this…

Carry, is just that. Carry.

I love having a handful of knives that I can chose from to meet my needs and or likes for that day.

Will H1 meet 95% of my daily needs? yes.
It is when daily turns to weekly or monthly that there is an issue of sharpening and degradation of performance but I usually have access to sharpeners daily.
I am that guy who has several sharpening tools with me pretty much all the time at work or in my vehicle or at home.
If I could only have one steel it would be LC200N but I enjoy having several knives on or near me in a variety of steels so my EDC is really Every Day Carries and Every Day Sharpeners. I must be an addict, but I have an excuse for all of them. :D
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

tangent wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:08 am
So...should H1 be the standard base Japanese steel instead of VG-10? Should all Japanese Spydercos be salts?
Yes, but with LC200N instead of H1.
H1 is a Japanese steel and may they continue to have success with it in their models. It cost extra for them to import LC200N and ship the finished product back to the states. Note the difference in price say between an H1 PacSalt and an LC200N PacSalt. I am all in for more American made LC200N Salt models. Can hardly wait for the release of the much anticipated Swicks and UKPK Salts. Hopefully before fishing season is over.
tangent

Post by tangent »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:03 pm
tangent wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:08 am
So...should H1 be the standard base Japanese steel instead of VG-10? Should all Japanese Spydercos be salts?
Yes, but with LC200N instead of H1.
H1 is a Japanese steel and may they continue to have success with it in their models. It cost extra for them to import LC200N and ship the finished product back to the states. Note the difference in price say between an H1 PacSalt and an LC200N PacSalt. I am all in for more American made LC200N Salt models. Can hardly wait for the release of the much anticipated Swicks and UKPK Salts. Hopefully before fishing season is over.
I like the idea of more US mad salts, but Japanese FRN and US FRN are different and I much prefer the Japanese FRN. YMMV of course.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

True, but I do not like it 24% better. Especially when you factor in lock rock.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Really love h1. Im currently waiting for assassins INC to deliver my new talisman 2 salt with serrated h1. Excellent steel, sharpens easy. Ive never gotten the holds an edge argument. Holding an edge is about how you sharpen and how you finish an edge, not the steel. Ive never seen a knife edge cut into bones, wire, or concrete and still be sharp. Ive seen knives cut meat all day and still be sharp.