Taking apart knives - part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
B12buddy

Re: Taking apart knives - part 2

Post by B12buddy »

Thanks for the assist and glad to be here. I had a micrometer laying around and I think we're at roughly .500" OD, .250" ID, and 0.010" thick. I ordered the minimum (5 sets) from usaknifemaker.com. We'll see...

Stuck with my 15V Shaman for tonight I guess.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Did anyone take apart the Stretch 2 XL Lightweight? Does it have bronze washers or does the blade run on FRN?

Edit: Didn't take it fully apart, so no photo, but I wanted to have all the body screw heads on the same side of the knife (from factory the handle ones are on one side and the pivot and backlock screw heads on the other) so I took the blade out and there were no washers, just a raised FRN disc on both sides
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I'm late to the party here, but where is Part 1? Perhaps that should be either linked or merged into this thread?
-Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

horzuff wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:20 am
Did anyone take apart the Stretch 2 XL Lightweight? Does it have bronze washers or does the blade run on FRN?

Edit: Didn't take it fully apart, so no photo, but I wanted to have all the body screw heads on the same side of the knife (from factory the handle ones are on one side and the pivot and backlock screw heads on the other) so I took the blade out and there were no washers, just a raised FRN disc on both sides
It's constructed just like a Pacific Salt 2 on the inside. I took mine a part. If you search you could find photos I posted in one of the Stretch XL threads.
:unicorn
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:38 am
horzuff wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:20 am

It's constructed just like a Pacific Salt 2 on the inside. I took mine a part. If you search you could find photos I posted in one of the Stretch XL threads.
So a Salt version is literally sticking a different steel sheet in the grinders, yellow pigment to the FRN molds and use salty hardware? Can't wait for a MagnaCut Salt then :D
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

A bit of Spydiechef prevention. I have had this knife since 2016. Used as intended and you can see for yourself that there is no wear on the Frame Lock.

https://youtu.be/qbe7SdRM8-Y?si=30S0SKUKLivCtUQ9
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Milie sprint run from 2008. Received it today and of course it had to be pulled apart to have a closer look and to do maintenance before putting it to good use. Nice solid T10 pivot and tiny T6 for the scales. Funny detail is the leftover material on the backspacer which you will only see when pulling the knife appart 😉

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Hello everyone,

I don't come here unless there is an issue I cannot solve myself.

A friend's knifecenter delica couldn't engage the back lock successfully, and so I took it apart and compared with mine...

now separately, I realised knifecenter's exclusive delica is also missing Sal's insignia. So did my friend get a clone instead ?
- updated my Drop supergold Delica also does not have SG insignia... :grin-sweat

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1c18TxHDKvr7Q3Zy5

the lock part simply is not seated into the cavity on the blade to engage properly... and there is a gap at the tail end of the lock bar. Tolerances aint' fantastic as far as I can tell. Lock bar seems to be a bit longer than the comparison one I have.

Any help is appreciated, and if he should send back to knifecenter, or if this is a clone, well, I will break the bad news to him.

Wesley
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I don't recall any laminated clones.

But this one looks as if the lockbar's "tooth" chipped away - look at the general shape of the protrusion that catches onto the blade. The working one is basically a rectangle while the KC one is a trapezoid. Are there any signs of a fracture?
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

horzuff wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:44 am
I don't recall any laminated clones.

But this one looks as if the lockbar's "tooth" chipped away - look at the general shape of the protrusion that catches onto the blade. The working one is basically a rectangle while the KC one is a trapezoid. Are there any signs of a fracture?
Thanks for the reply. No , I don’t see signs of fracture. Should we just send back to knifecenter?
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I wouldn't know how to solve it, so I would :)
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

KJKeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:42 pm
Hello everyone,

A friend's knifecenter delica couldn't engage the back lock successfully, and so I took it apart and compared with mine...

now separately, I realised knifecenter's exclusive delica is also missing Sal's insignia. So did my friend get a clone instead ?
- updated my Drop supergold Delica also does not have SG insignia... :grin-sweat

the lock part simply is not seated into the cavity on the blade to engage properly... and there is a gap at the tail end of the lock bar. Tolerances aint' fantastic as far as I can tell. Lock bar seems to be a bit longer than the comparison one I have.

Any help is appreciated, and if he should send back to knifecenter, or if this is a clone, well, I will break the bad news to him.

Wesley
I would want to know what a spyderco quality inspections representative would say about the missing sal makers mark. That may be a ¨tell-tale¨sign. Anyone know if they are available on the forum? Maybe we can ask them to take a look. Those are good pics.
Alex
Scientia et pax
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 pm
KJKeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:42 pm
Hello everyone,

Wesley
I would want to know what a spyderco quality inspections representative would say about the missing sal makers mark. That may be a ¨tell-tale¨sign. Anyone know if they are available on the forum? Maybe we can ask them to take a look. Those are good pics.
Sal’s makers mark was not always included on every one his models. It was only in mid-2019 that Spyderco began using Sal’s makers mark on all of his models.
-Nick :bug-red
BLADE_OCD

Post by BLADE_OCD »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:59 pm
I'm late to the party here, but where is Part 1? Perhaps that should be either linked or merged into this thread?
I found it. Everything makes sense now.

Here you go.

Taking apart knives Part 1
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78032