Baking Dish Advice?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Baking Dish Advice?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I need to find a decent-quality baking dish for cooking roasts, chickens, and various foods, that is reasonably priced, but, not too expensive, and, can handle repeated cooking in an oven without cracking/breaking. I have used cheap-quality glass ones and they end up cracking from the effect of temperature differences. Any good brands and materials you all recommend? Tell me about Pyrex?
Ankerson

Re: Baking Dish Advice?

Post by Ankerson »

Been using CorningWare for VERY long time, decades and never had any issues.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, Corning ware since maybe the 70's? Unless dropped on something like concrete these last forever. Not sure if I've personally used Pyrex but I've seen the stuff at family gatherings for ages. Seems like it would just be a matter of finding the ones that suit your needs then looking around for the best prices. While shopping online I've found both great and so lousy it seemed like a joke prices. Always check different sources.

Joe
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I can personally stand behind Pyrex as well as Corning Ware for all your baking needs. I have the set of each that my wife and I were given almost 15 years ago gor our wedding. Asidefrom one or two pieces that have been dropped and chipped over the years, the sets show little to no wear.

Last month I ran across a deal on a set of Pyrex storage and casserole dishes with rubber lids at Kroger. $9 and they will be worth every penny. You can find these in almost any discount store: Ollies, Marshalls, etc. I have even picked up used pieces from flea markets and eBay that were in perfect condition.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, what I use depends on what I'm cooking. For roasting a chicken, turkey, or roast, I use an enameled steel roasting pan that's probably older than half the folks on this forum. For casseroles I use either Pyrex or Corningware, depending on size needed. For roasting veggies, I use a "half sheet" jelly roll pan lined with aluminum foil. Only way I can see glass cookware breaking is if you're going directly from the freezer to a pre-heated oven. Can't say I've ever done that, can't see any reason to, but Corningware would probably be your best bet if you go that route.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've used both. Both are good. I like clear Pyrex because I can see how things are cooking deep down.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Deacon wrote:For me, what I use depends on what I'm cooking. For roasting a chicken, turkey, or roast, I use an enameled steel roasting pan that's probably older than half the folks on this forum. For casseroles I use either Pyrex or Corningware, depending on size needed. For roasting veggies, I use a "half sheet" jelly roll pan lined with aluminum foil. Only way I can see glass cookware breaking is if you're going directly from the freezer to a pre-heated oven. Can't say I've ever done that, can't see any reason to, but Corningware would probably be your best bet if you go that route.
Deacon provided the most complete answer and I would also add the new silicone bakeware to the list. My daughter gave a couple of pieces to me and over the last 4 months it has performed very well and is even easier to clean than Pyrex/Corning ware.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:For me, what I use depends on what I'm cooking. For roasting a chicken, turkey, or roast, I use an enameled steel roasting pan that's probably older than half the folks on this forum. For casseroles I use either Pyrex or Corningware, depending on size needed. For roasting veggies, I use a "half sheet" jelly roll pan lined with aluminum foil. Only way I can see glass cookware breaking is if you're going directly from the freezer to a pre-heated oven. Can't say I've ever done that, can't see any reason to, but Corningware would probably be your best bet if you go that route.

I think the only instances I have heard or seen of Pyrex cookware shattering was going from hot to extreme cool. This thermal shock happens when you set heated glassware on a cool surface or say a granite counter with water on it, or the most likely rinsing it under the tap while its too hot to touch.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Great suggestions. I’ve used them to good effect but day in, day out I tend to stick with cast iron for that sort of thing. I’ve always done just fine with it.

Ken
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

after two decades using Pyrex day in day out, hot and cold, oven, microwave, or otherwise I can vouch for its durability and toughness. :cool:

In fact here in Spain any cookware that is transparent, glass-like and really tough is called Pyrex because of the strong association with the material they were originally made of, even though now we have other brands, companies and names for them. :spyder:
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Cook's illustrated recommends Pyrex 9x13 baking dish.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I agree with all of the above recommendations. Glass will always crack if subjected to extreme temp changes. Never put cold glass into a hot oven or in hot water and never put hot glass into fridge/freezer or into cold water. Pyrex or corningware products are very affordable options and will last you a lifetime. Unless you subject them to extreme temperature changes or drop them!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Borosilicate Glass (like some pyrex products) can withstand extreme temperature shock up to 220 degrees Celsius. You can take it out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven, you can take it out of the oven and put it on a table or counter top. I used to work with borosilicate glass, it's neat stuff. You can take a 1/4 inch round, 8 inch long rod of boro-glass and hold one end in front of a blowtorch until it melts while holding the other end with your bare hand and you won't get burned. Funny for something used in cooking, but it's a poor conductor of heat.

http://www.pyrexuk.com/materials/borosi ... s.html?p=3
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I have pot Pyrex from the fridge into the oven at 350 Fahrenheit.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam