Knife lubricant

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Re: Knife lubricant

Post by Paraguy »

kobold wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:37 pm
WD40 is not a lubricant, it is made for water displacement and I read it gums up in time. I prefer sewing machine oil, bike oil, or, in a pinch, edibles like coconut oil / animal fat.
I also use sewing machine oil.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

A friend of mine uses graphite and his knives are almost frictionless.
"Some call me...Tim?"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am
A friend of mine uses graphite and his knives are almost frictionless.
I use no lubricant and some of mine are the same way.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I tried out Krytox oil out of curiosity ( its a common lube in the hobby I am in to right now) Its OK . But so far nano oil is still my go-to. :)
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Knife Pivot Lube (on washers), or Nano-Oil - NanoLube (5w - 10w depending) although living in a dusty desert environment, certain knifes that I use specifically for dusty tasks, I use none on.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I had resisted for a long time, but I have become a big fan of Frog Lube when actually heated and applied properly. Especially for corrosion prevention and for a gun lube. For folders, fishing reel oil has treated me very well.
So it goes.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I keep StClaire Nano Oil 10wt in all of my knives and am currently testing Knife Pivot Lube on my McBee.

I also like Victorinox Multi-Tool Oil if I'm looking for something food safe.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I think most of the liquid 'wet' oils are going to perform pretty comparably; and we saw that in the friction chart I posted earlier, where most of the wet oils are pretty similar to one another.

For me the biggest differentiator is between Wet vs Dry lubricants, and whether these also provide a rust inhibiting capability.

Thats why I'm pretty excited about the Hornady One Shot:

-Dry lubricant so wont attract dust even if over applied
-Knife/Multi tools open nice and smooth
-Dry protective coating allows covering the blade/pivot/liners with a rust inhibiting coating
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:33 pm
I think most of the liquid 'wet' oils are going to perform pretty comparably; and we saw that in the friction chart I posted earlier, where most of the wet oils are pretty similar to one another.

For me the biggest differentiator is between Wet vs Dry lubricants, and whether these also provide a rust inhibiting capability.

-Dry protective coating allows covering the blade/pivot/liners with a rust inhibiting coating
Glad you brought that up Mark. Because there have been so many improvements in dry lube technology. One dry lube that has been around for over 10 years is "BP-2000" made by Sentry Solutions. I've had great results with that one.

There are a few newer dry lubes out there that contain PTFE and other Teflon compounds. I'm kind of surprised that they aren't being talked about more :confused: . Dry lubes have so many advantages especially with moving parts in constant contact.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm
I had resisted for a long time, but I have become a big fan of Frog Lube when actually heated and applied properly. Especially for corrosion prevention and for a gun lube. For folders, fishing reel oil has treated me very well.
I too use frog lube on guns but unfortunately on knifes I had an issue where it would break down to a liquid to quickly when it's 110F+ outside and most of it would end up inside of my pocket lol, on guns it would just cover internal parts and reform when cool

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 am
mark greenman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Glad you brought that up Mark. Because there have been so many improvements in dry lube technology. One dry lube that has been around for over 10 years is "BP-2000" made by Sentry Solutions. I've had great results with that one.

There are a few newer dry lubes out there that contain PTFE and other Teflon compounds. I'm kind of surprised that they aren't being talked about more :confused: . Dry lubes have so many advantages especially with moving parts in constant contact.
Just ordered some BP-2000, this might solve my issue with extremely dusty situations where normal lube would just collect dust/dirt! Thank you!

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

notfixingit wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:41 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm
I too use frog lube on guns but unfortunately on knifes I had an issue where it would break down to a liquid to quickly when it's 110F+ outside and most of it would end up inside of my pocket lol, on guns it would just cover internal parts and reform when cool

Oh no...I baked it into a few fixed blades and then let it cool and got it as dry as I can get it. I haven't sat them in the sun to see what happens. I also put it on the blades of a Rex45 Millie & NChief, hopefully it doesn't liquify to the point that it gets in my pocket. I'll obviously have a problem, haha!

I'll just keep using reel oil for the pivots on all my knives and if frog lube ends up being a no go as a corrosion preventative I'll just go back to mineral oil.
So it goes.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Oh no...I baked it into a few fixed blades and then let it cool and got it as dry as I can get it. I haven't sat them in the sun to see what happens. I also put it on the blades of a Rex45 Millie & NChief, hopefully it doesn't liquify to the point that it gets in my pocket. I'll obviously have a problem, haha!

I'll just keep using reel oil for the pivots on all my knives and if frog lube ends up being a no go as a corrosion preventative I'll just go back to mineral oil.
Unless you live in a desert like me or leave it sunlight, it will probably be fine

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Gibbo58

Post by Gibbo58 »

Hornady one shot is a case lubricant for bullet reloaders.
Would that be the best lubricant for a knife pivot?
I use Ballistol on my Knives and Guns.
It may not be “Nano Oil” but it works fine and doesn’t cost that much.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Gibbo58:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Gibbo58 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 am
Hornady makes 2x versions of One Shot. You want the 'gun cleaner and lubricant':

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9990-Sho ... /B000LC9YM

I cant say its the 'best' but its pretty cool.
-cleaner removes old oil
-dry lubricant slicks knife without attracting dirt / lint
-protective coating helps prevent rust
-Spray format allows getting oil into pivot and washers without disassembly
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:32 am
Gibbo58 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 am

Hornady makes 2x versions of One Shot. You want the 'gun cleaner and lubricant':

I cant say its the 'best' but its pretty cool.
-cleaner removes old oil
-dry lubricant slicks knife without attracting dirt / lint
-protective coating helps prevent rust
-Spray format allows getting oil into pivot and washers without disassembly

I bought a can of this when you posted the article a couple weeks ago...I haven't used it on a gun or knife yet, but that article definitely made me buy it.
So it goes.
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

5 years ago, the hot stuff in the fishing reel world was TSI 301 for bearings. I can vouch that if you soak the reel bearings in this stuff, the drum will free spool far longer than other lubes. On some reels, I could get three minutes of free spool with TSI 301, where other reel lubes were lucky to get 30-45 seconds. So, I’m a little surprised it hasn’t been discussed in any knife forums I’ve seen. I tried it yesterday on a ZT flipper with pivot bearings, and it seems to work pretty well. I bought the knife used and this was the first time it had been cleaned, but it was a definite improvement over before. I can’t say KPL or Nano or Blue Lube would have been any worse. https://tsi301.com/main.htm
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Just wanted to report that I've continued to have good luck with the Hornady One Shot dry lube.

I give the pivot a solid squirt on each side, then spray down the entire blade. I let it stand for 5 minutes for the solvent to evaporate, and then wipe off any remaining residue from the blade. The pivot itself is fine since the small squirt doesnt leave residue behind.

This provides both a lubricant, and also a nice rust protective to the blade.

FK

Post by FK »

Aerosol spray can give problems with rust under certain conditions.

The spray is rather cold when applied to steel,,,,, sometimes it will cause instant moisture to form on the steel which results later in rust/staining. Yes, you need oxygen to form the rust but I have observed this happening with aerosol sprays on machined parts.

Suggest you spray it on a cloth first,,, let it warm to ambient temperature,,, then wipe on the steel to be protected.

Regards,
FK