Knife lubricant

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Knife lubricant

Post by JacksonKnives »

DougC-3 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:08 pm
Anybody know any rationale for using KPL, pros or cons, etc? I thought it might work with a little less friction than mineral oil, just guessing, very difficult to tell. (I tried the Heavy on a ball bearing lock with a faint click, and it helped some.)
Pro:
Convenient dispenser
One bottle will last a long time for most people
Different weights available
Won't gum/rot the way some plant oils do

Con:
Far more expensive than sourcing the same / similar oil and putting it in a bottle yourself
Not "edible" in the way that Frog Lube/coconut oil/mineral oil are
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I use depending on where I am. Gun oil on my knife chest. 3-in-One SRE 20 in my desk drawer and mineral oil on my workbench. They all work for me.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Nano-Oil is still the best i've found for both slickness & long term lubrication, and i've been using all their products for years (5-10-85 weight plus the red grease)
On the aspect of corrosion protection however there seem to be better products out there.
I still want to try out Eezox in that regard, but this product isn't available where i live.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Mlnarik wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:43 pm
I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
kroil
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am
Mlnarik wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:43 pm
I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
kroil
I'm no expert on this, but until one comes along, I'll say, if I had that choice, I'd use a very small amount of the household oil, assuming it's something like 3-in-1 light machine oil. My general impression about WD40 is that it's more for cleaning or dealing with rust.

Edit: Excuse me, JohnDoe99, I thought you were asking this question and didn't notice that you'd actually already given a one word answer :) .
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm
hambone56rx wrote:Benchmade Bluelube! My local knife store has some on hand and I've bought it from Knives Ship free for about $10! Works well!
I'm going to have to check that one out. Because it was a Benchmade dealer way back in the early 2000s who recommended to me the one lube I still regard as my all time favorite knife lube and general usage lube>> I'm speaking of "Militec". I've said for quite a while that if I ever found a lubrication product that would perform better than Militec I would switch immediately.

And for Benchmade to now have their own lube is kind of interesting needless to say.

Anyone else here use MILITEC???
JD, I've been looking into Militec as its a dry lube / coating rather then an oil.

For guns, they suggest heating up the metal by firing to 'activate' the coating process.

Do you heat up your knives when you apply it?
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Here is a vote for Frog Lube. Why? Because it works well. It is made by wounded warriors in the US. It is edible so my Chief will not contaminate my apple. It is a lubricant and rust preventative that doesn’t gum up. One drop, once a month on my continuous carry Chief is standard preventive maintenance.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

kwakster wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:06 am
I still want to try out Eezox in that regard, but this product isn't available where i live.
I bought some Eezox a while back.

It seems like an excellent CLP and the rust preventative properties seem to work very well.

That said, it smells. They added a sweet-spicy herbal scent to Eezox (possibly to mask whatever stinky compounds make it special). This rules it out for knives I'm carrying on a regular basis. It's not really a problem with just a tiny amount in a pivot, but there are other products just as good for that.
I had hoped to use it for cleaning/protecting a pinned knife (Aogami Super Caly 3.5) but I've basically never used it except for knives going into storage.

The dropper-lid on the (3 oz?) can I bought also leaks.

Break-Free CLP has been the most helpful/least offensive CLP spray I've found, though it's nothing special for protective properties. I have lots of contact cleaner around and I'm just as likely to use that unless I'm doing a specific deep-clean.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nano oil is the best I’ve used.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Camellia Oil (Tsubaki Abura) On my v-toku2 and blue steel
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

WD40 is not a lubricant, it is made for water displacement and I read it gums up in time. I prefer sewing machine oil, bike oil, or, in a pinch, edibles like coconut oil / animal fat.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

This is a pretty spectacular test of both lubricating capability and rust prevention of 46 different gun/knife oils.

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Theres way more in the article.

But TL;DR: It seems like 'Hornady One Shot' did the best in terms of both lubrication and rust prevention. I just ordered some and will report back. Its a spray on dry lube and rust preventative.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 am
This is a pretty spectacular test of both lubricating capability and rust prevention of 46 different gun/knife oils.

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Theres way more in the article.

But TL;DR: It seems like 'Hornady One Shot' did the best in terms of both lubrication and rust prevention. I just ordered some and will report back. Its a spray on dry lube and rust preventative.

This was really interesting, I'm looking forward to the report on 'One Shot'.
So it goes.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

So I tried the One Shot, and so far I'm very impressed.

I tested it on my Military, a Leatherman Squirt, and a really beat up Leatherman Wave my neighbor had.

-Military is now quite smooth, and so far is not attracting any dirt or clothing fuzz. I coated the liners, washers, and blade in One Shot, let it soak for 1 minute, then wiped it dry with a paper towel.

-Both Leathermans were hosed down with One Shot. Like, totally drenched, sprayed down every crevice a few times overboard. Whats remarkable is that after a minute of two of sitting there, they were mostly dry, and a light wipedown with the paper towel returned them to being dry.

The Squirt feels like its brand new from the factory, just super smooth. The beat up Wave, previously I needed to use my Squirt to get the inner screwdrivers out, it was so grimy and maltreated. After being hosed with One Shot, its not 'factory new' - it was too far gone - but it is much, much improved. I can now get the little screwdrivers out with just a finger nail, albeit its still stiff. The rest of the multitool is nice and smooth though.

Given how much I sprayed both of the Leathermans down, its remarkable how dry they are. Their slicked up, but theres no pools of oil to collect grime. And based on the above testing, they should now be well protected from rust in the future.

So far I'm very impressed, and I'd suggest giving the One Shot a try, as its degreasing/rust preventative/ dry lubricant combination is pretty unique. I would suggest using gloves while doing the oiling as its chock full of solvents and has a light odor.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 am

It's too bad Nano Oil isn't included in that list. It would be interested to see how it compares, though I think he makes a good point in saying that if you already use something and it seems to work, don't fix what isn't broken because all of them probably do a fine job or they wouldn't still be selling. My elders got by just fine with 3-In-1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

atv223 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Mlnarik wrote:I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
Those are quite possibly the worst 2 options. wd-40 is a poor lubricant and household (3 in 1) will gum up over time. If you use it for food prep, mineral oil. Otherwise there are a lot of good synthetic or petroleum based lubes that work well.

Where do you hear 3-in-one gums up over time? I've used it for almost 20 years on knives with zero issues. I've heard people say this in the past, but have no proof.

I use 3-in-one, or mineral oil, and Tuf-Glide. Been using Tuf-Glide for at least 15 years on anything carbon steel or tool steel. Works great.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mobile-1 5w-30

What’s a more intense use case on a much more expensive machine? Automotive lubricants work fine. Firearm lubricants can work well too, but it seems there are still snake oil salesmen in that realm. Remember “fireclean”? Not that it didn’t work, mind you, but that it was made from cheap abundantly available ingredients and sold for boutique prices. SMH.

For knives used on food, and I don’t mean kitchen prep... slicing cheese and apples in your field lunch for example. Mineral oil will do the trick.

Are you looking to use a knife or fidget? That more than anything will determine how much it matters to you whether or not you can safely operate the knife vs. flick it open at the speed of light.

I love the way wd40 and 3-in-1 smell.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I ordered a bottle of One Shot, seems like good stuff even if I only use it for my guns.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

I’m using 10w nano oil and it does what it’s supposed to do. Seems to keep the pivot lubed a long time.

Lots of people mention the price a lot. I mean I have spent perhaps 2-4% of my oil in about 6 months. Unless i start a business oiling knives I doubt I’ll empty it in the coming 10 years or so.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

atv223 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Mlnarik wrote:I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
Those are quite possibly the worst 2 options. wd-40 is a poor lubricant and household (3 in 1) will gum up over time. If you use it for food prep, mineral oil. Otherwise there are a lot of good synthetic or petroleum based lubes that work well.
I use butcher block mineral oil. It works great. Hoppes also makes a gun lubricant that works well.
"Some call me...Tim?"