Where is the new, improved Advocate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Where is the new, improved Advocate?

Post by The Meat man »

GP is out of stock and I was wondering if anyone knows of any other dealers who have the newer Advocate knives?
Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:23 pm
GP is out of stock and I was wondering if anyone knows of any other dealers who have the newer Advocate knives?
Thanks!
I would wait till GP gets them back in stock. This was you know for sure that your getting the new one. I told BHQ I wanted the new one and they sent the old one.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like how GP Knives calls it Spyderco Advocate CQI Titanium Flipper M4 Steel C214TIP to make sure we know it has all the CQI changes: "CQI Pivot: This is the new Constant Quality Improvement bearing pivot. It features thicker steel washers and larger ball bearings seated in a phosphor bronze housing for smoother operation and more robust construction."
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

The old design was kind of acceptable from a function standpoint, the new design better. That's all most asked for. To make it function and feel better. Not that the old design was total garbage. Just that it wasn't on par with what other manufacturers were producing in that certain aspect.

Spyderco listens, albeit in this case reluctantly, and does a good job of presenting circumstantial evidence that benefits them and disregards circumstantial evidence that doesn't.

Having said that, there aren't many companies that voluntarily take a good overall design with a lackluster element off of the production line and upgrade it just because they know it could be better whether they admit it publicly or not. And apparently it is better so all's well that ends well. I don't believe Spyderco will continue to use the old design in any knives... that should tell people what needs to be known about the old flipper design.

I still carry the slysz bowie every day at work and my son carries a military. The pushback and negative comments towards those seeking to give spyderco truthful information outside of the normal glowing echo chamber doesn't matter to me. Spyderco listened even when they didn't want to about a specific issue and we all benefited as customers. That should also tell people what kind of company Spyderco is.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Spyderco announced the discontinuation of the Advocate recently.
I bought one from BHQ a few days ago. I just figured it would be a CQI version. And most likely it is. I mean on all accounts it really should be, shouldn't it? I am writing this October of 2019.
Today is Sunday so I will call BHQ to confirm tomorrow and will update this thread.
If anyone has recently bought and received one please let me know what version it was and where you bought it.
Regards.

I just saw this posting...

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:41 am
abbazaba wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:32 am
Called to confirm and was told all of the Advocate stock at BladeHQ is non-CQI. :(
sok

Post by sok »

I have received two Advocates in the last week and both were the CQI version. The first one was from KnivesPlus, date code LP. The second one came from DLT, date code BR.

The last couple of pages of this thread might interest you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84925&start=120#p1363865

Word is that the BHQ Advocates are first gen.
EDIT** I just saw that you found the thread.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Thanks sok for the information! I had just found that link. I guess if I want a CQI I should order. But now I don't know. Maybe it'll be a pass.
I know people here say there aren't any problems with v.1 but I just don't want to chance it.

Update: The BHQ Advocate came today 10/08 and it was the CQI. So far it seems almost perfect to me.